Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:54 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,709,426 times

Advertisements

Is it true that 2nd hand shopping is more common among middle class (50-150K salary) and not the lower class (20-50K salary)? Is it because middle class is more conscious of their money vs. poor people are trying hard not to look/feel poor?

I grew up in a poor area where average household income was <$35K. It was common for people including my parents to pick up furniture from garage sale or the local used stores, kitchen appliances..big ticket items (refrigerator, stove, table. etc). But never clothes or shoes or bags.. for those we went to Kmart or Walmart.

After college when I started working in professional middle class job in a middle class neighborhood, I started noticing thrift stores that look like upscale boutiques. I went in and was impress at the collection of clothes and jewelries and finer things in life. At lunch I started hearing from my coworker about getting things from thrift store.. especially baby clothes or house deco. Most of my coworkers make near 100K salary and never grew up in my type of neighborhood. Yet they some how introduced me to the world of thrift store. I eventually got accustomed to this new world & didn't think about it.

Recently my sister in law was advised by her nurse to buy kids clothes at 2nd hand store because kids grow so fast. That is what the nurse does. My SIL, who has been in USA for 6 years & lives in the same poor neighborhood I grew up in, was confused why someone making nursing salary would need to shop at 2nd hand store. I jokingly told my SIL that in USA rich people shop 2nd hand and not poor people. She was confused and I was confused as well. Is it true?

I grew up in an immigrant community and my family are 1st generation American, so my experience might be different than typical American. Of course the thrift store in the low income area were dirty & looked like trash (hence we only saw the big items) vs. the thrift store in the middle class area are much nicer with beautiful display that doesn't scream "garbage". I know many families who are on low income but I doubt any of them buy 2nd hand clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 02:35 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,077 times
Many middle class and even upper middle class families buy children's clothing, toys, furniture, etc. from yard sales and second hand stores because they know that babies don't care whether their clothes are brand new or came from a fancy shop. The know that people like them are likely to have good quality things that are probably well cared for with lots of use left in them. They shop in their own neighborhoods or neighborhoods like their own, so the expectation is that what is offered for sale is clean, safe, and in very good condition. Many also seek out second hand stores or consignment shops for furniture for their homes and clothing for themselves.

There is nothing to be confused about. Buying good-quality items second hand allows people to live comfortably and fashionably and still have plenty of money to invest, which bolsters financial security and provides more money for the things that enhance quality of life: education, travel, experiences like theater and museums, hobbies, philanthropy, and on and on.

Having expensive new clothing or overpriced furniture does nothing for one's net worth, future financial security, or the future success of one's offspring.

One would do well to emulate the sensible frugality of those "confusing" successful people. They didn't become successful or well to do by wasting their money on expensive possessions they don't need just to look "rich". They are likely rather choosing to spend their money in ways that enhance their quality of life and contribute to future financial security.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:02 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,709,426 times
The confusion part is why don't lower income people shop at 2nd hand store more often. In my head, the lower the income the more 2nd hand shopping a family will do. But in reality its not a linear graph

There is nothing wrong with middle class shopping in 2nd hand store, I myself do it too but I didn't when I was poor.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:03 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
My parents' income was around 90 to 100k. We mostly wore worn out rags from garage sales, things the thrift store would throw out rather than sell. It was embarrassing to go to nice schools wearing those clothes, but my mom wouldn't buy anything nice, and my dad was oblivious (although he bought his clothes at the mall).

My household income is lower than my parents' income. I shop at thrift stores a lot, and my kids have always had many nice clothes.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:17 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,311,518 times
Sometimes the definition for "poor" depends on the person defining it.

In my experience smart people, regardless of their income, will know (through experience and word of mouth) where the better Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., neighborhood stores are located...and shop there to purchase some quality items.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:42 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I've always done it - looking for better quality than the junk sold now.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:19 PM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
The confusion part is why don't lower income people shop at 2nd hand store more often. In my head, the lower the income the more 2nd hand shopping a family will do. But in reality its not a linear graph

There is nothing wrong with middle class shopping in 2nd hand store, I myself do it too but I didn't when I was poor.
I think I stopped shopping at thrift stores in the 1980s. In the 1990s I was making more money and I started buying most of my clothes from department store sale discount racks, at 50% off. I would hit the mall at least once a week to search the discount racks. It was expensive, but I could get some really nice clothes that way, and the 50% discount was enough. Now that I'm retired and have less money again, my clothing needs are less. So now I just buy my clothes at Target, or online. I just don't have the energy to shop for bargains anymore. Plus I'm not really sure thrift store prices are worth it. I can buy shirts at Target for $10. How much would I really save buying them at a thrift store? Probably not enough to make it worth my trouble. Plus if I need a new shirt, I know I can pick one up at Target anytime. I might go to five thrift stores and not find any I want to buy. I guess thrift stores might be OK if you are really into shopping. But I'm not.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:28 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My parents' income was around 90 to 100k. We mostly wore worn out rags from garage sales, things the thrift store would throw out rather than sell. It was embarrassing to go to nice schools wearing those clothes, but my mom wouldn't buy anything nice, and my dad was oblivious (although he bought his clothes at the mall).

My household income is lower than my parents' income. I shop at thrift stores a lot, and my kids have always had many nice clothes.
That totally stinks. I wore the hand me downs from my mother's rich employers. Always one step behind, but quality clothing. It was all wool, cashmere, linen, soft cotton. I was the first funky dresser in my junior high school. I knew how to sew and embroider.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I selectively thrift shop, and I fall in your definition of middle class.

Little kid clothes at thrift and consignment and garage sales are golden. They outgrow them so quickly, they're basically mint condition. There is no reason whatsoever to pay retail for incredibly temporary attire.

Also, there are a number of companies that do massive consignment sales, usually hosted at convention centers and the like. They're like baby clothes expos. It's a nice way to avoid waste.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That totally stinks. I wore the hand me downs from my mother's rich employers. Always one step behind, but quality clothing. It was all wool, cashmere, linen, soft cotton. I was the first funky dresser in my junior high school. I knew how to sew and embroider.
I had a spoiled rotten cousin two years older than i, and I reaped the benefit of all her "designer" clothes as an 80s preteen ("designer" being things like Esprit sweatshirts and Guess? Jeans, versus the Walmart brands I had at my disposal). Best hand me downs ever when you're a working class kid in the sticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living