Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 05:37 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,632,517 times

Advertisements

15 minutes cleaning up is nothing? That’s two hours a week of wasted time. How much more is wasted cooking? No thanks. I can’t even boil water and won’t ever cook anything. I’d rather put my time into my career than learning how to cook. That’s what restaurants are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 07:42 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,808,528 times
Buy this book
https://bookstore.reed.edu/shop_prod...oduct_list.asp

Old 08-02-2018, 01:40 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

How do you who live frugally make your own food on a regular basis? .

Thanks
I can.

Before the end of the winter I made ~3 dozen pints of taco soup.

A little less than 1x\week I dump one out, heat it up, add cheese and chips.

roast beaf, pulled pork, etc

SERIOUSLY makes cooking easier to have readymade meals 2-3x\ week just "heat and eat"

I call it fast food, much quicker than waiting for something to thaw.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:49 AM

24,613 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
Its like starting to go to the gym. It sounds good so you join, you try it a few times and its not that easy, some people stick with it most people don't, the ones that stick with it are happier, healthier, and end up actually loving going to the gym and will fit it in whenever they can.

just gotta get past the hump
Agreed but consistent cooking involves a lot more recipes/learning than just lifting some weight at a gym. Everyone knows the basics but you really have to be dedicated to start learned how to really cook. When I get home after work, I rather sleep than cook.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:52 AM

24,613 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
15 minutes cleaning up is nothing? That’s two hours a week of wasted time. How much more is wasted cooking? No thanks. I can’t even boil water and won’t ever cook anything. I’d rather put my time into my career than learning how to cook. That’s what restaurants are for.
It’s not the cleaning, it’s the preparation and time. Cooking complex flavorful meals ain’t no joke. Hell its even boring. Sitting there waiting for this and that to cook. Frozen food is not healthy, fast food is not healthy, but there are plenty services out there that do healthy meal prep meals that I use. It’s a life saver

Old 08-02-2018, 06:28 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I'm not trying to be extremely frugal, but I'm trying to cook more to avoid eating out too often which adds up the expensive. I figured that even if I buy good ingredients(fresh veggies, quality beef cut, seafood), it's still much cheaper than eating out.

I don't enjoy cooking at all, I hate doing grocery and cleaning the kitchen.

How do you who live frugally make your own food on a regular basis? Any good cookbook or recipe website to recommend? I know there are a ton, but they are not easy to follow.

Thanks
How about subscribing to one of the meal services? Blue Apron, or other. I hear they are very good, with fresh ingredients and easy to follow directions.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:02 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,659,449 times
For those who eat restaurant meals/frozen foods exclusively, please keep in mind that they often contain the high salt, fats, and additives that are less-than-healthy for you.

We Americans have much more high blood pressure and heart conditions than other populations consuming lower sodium and lower (bad) fats. And sugar, too.

It does catch up with you over time.

Cooking at home assures you that YOU are in charge of the salt and fats and additives.

And cooking at home is way cheaper than eating out or even buying frozen meals.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:17 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
How many minutes to drive to the restaurant? How many minutes to find parking? How many minutes to wait for a table? How many minutes to wait for the waitress to take your order? How many minutes to wait for your food to come out?

But hey, someone else does the dishes. After eating, how many minutes waiting for the waitress to bring your bill and deal with it, then walk to your car, drive home.....less than 2 hours a week?

If you prefer to eat in restaurants, that's your chouce. Nobody cares. But don't try to claim it is to save time ( or to save money)

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 08-02-2018 at 09:28 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 12:12 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
OP does not like to clean up, cook books are not easy to follow, he is picky, she has to have Asian 3x week, he wants to do one-pot-wonders of starch/veg/protein/cheese.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:21 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
I eat out a lot in the summer because it is so darn hot! But the rest of the year I have a cooking day every 2 weeks or so. I usually get my sale flyers on Wednesday. I go through them and plan my meals for the next couple weeks. I shop on Thursday. Then on either Saturday or Sunday, I cook.

Usually 3 or 4 entrees and breakfast. It doesn't take a lot more time to slice and dice for multiple meals than it does for 1 meal. I only trash the kitchen once. When everything is done, I portion and freeze. Breakfast is grab and go items in the freezer. After you do this a couple times you always have multiple choices available. It also cuts down on food waste. If something comes up and plans change, no big deal. I make large quantities of everything so I can use big packages of meat that are a better value. This works very well for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living