Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:42 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The channel bundle irritates me. We get and have to pay for 100+ channels and watch a maximum of about 12. We watch zero sports and no premium channels, but it is all or nothing. Spectrum are sneaky, they raise the bill a few dollars and hope you won't notice.
I got something in the mail that says they now have a package where you pick 10-15 channels plus locals for $21.99/month (price for first 24 months).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 08:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Internet service reimbursed by employer. We pay for Netflix only, which is $11.99/month, I think. That's it. We don't watch much in the way of TV.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
No cons.

It should be noted, though, that nobody in the household watches televised sports.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:25 AM

16,274 posts, read 10,401,684 times
I understand this is a board about frugal living and if cutting the chord works for you I'm cool with it. But sorry many of you sound like pretentious hybrid car owners when you post.

I love cable and I won't apologize for it. Sure there are 1,000 channels and 950 are never watched. But tv is not just mindless reality shows. We watch nature and history shows, travel shows, we learn all kinds of things. In 2 1/2 hours I will watch the opening day of NFL season on the Red Zone channel, last evening I watched my team the Red Sox on DVR via the MLB network where I could fast forward the commercials and watch a 3 hour game in an hour. I could not do that with rabbit ears living in Maryland. What cable tv offers holds great value for me and I'll cut back in a number of places before even considering cutting the cable chord.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:37 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

I love cable and I won't apologize for it. Sure there are 1,000 channels and 950 are never watched. But tv is not just mindless reality shows. We watch nature and history shows, travel shows, we learn all kinds of things. In 2 1/2 hours I will watch the opening day of NFL season on the Red Zone channel, last evening I watched my team the Red Sox on DVR via the MLB network where I could fast forward the commercials and watch a 3 hour game in an hour. I could not do that with rabbit ears living in Maryland. What cable tv offers holds great value for me and I'll cut back in a number of places before even considering cutting the cable chord.
Just so you realize your paying for the channels not watched, you can get all the nature/history/travel shows for free on certain internet sites ( just watched a great series on Red Bull TV's channel about the helicopter rescue team in Zermatt Switzerland). Also, Mount Airy has a killer Library you can likely get most of what you are looking for and more. Sports games you could get a la carte on demand, pay per view, etc.

And if you live in Mount Airy (even if you rent) you are paying towards the Library tax. Kinda like sending your kids to private school, you pay the private school AND the public school in your taxes. Why pay twice?

Click here for link to Mount Airy Library

Old 09-10-2018, 02:44 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
I understand this is a board about frugal living and if cutting the chord works for you I'm cool with it. But sorry many of you sound like pretentious hybrid car owners when you post.

If you choose to make paying for cable TV one of your chosen luxuries, that is your choice, but you don't need to write a screed on the "frugal living" forum about it.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:46 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,908,257 times
Quote:

I will plunge into the discussion even at the risk of sounding like a "pretentious hybrid car owner" who has even been known to drive said Prius to Starbucks for a latte. I purchased an antenna that I placed in the window of my second floor bonus room, which also happens to face the local towers. I get great reception of the local networks, PBS, several additional stations, some of which have educational programming. I supplement that with Netflix and free programming from Vudu and Crackle. I was thrilled to dump Comcast. I also only put a TV in the bonus room. There is no television on the main level of my house. I listen to music, podcasts or news broadcasts over Alexa when I am doing chores and spend more time reading.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:33 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times
I went from $95/month Spectrum to $40/month streaming the same 70 or so channels...now I’m sharing that streaming service with someone and paying $20/month (plus $20 for internet service). My GF has Netflix and I use her login for that. With the 70+ channels, Netflix, Kodi and everything on the internet...I feel like if I need MORE I would probably have a VERY unhealthy addiction to being in front of a screen.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:42 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
Quote:
But sorry many of you sound like pretentious hybrid car owners when you post.

I love cable and I won't apologize for it. *cut pretentious rant*

irony much?

Old 09-10-2018, 04:45 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Cut the cord back in 2012, I have an OTA antenna which gets me 20+ channels, then I use my dad's Comcast login to watch ESPN, FS1, Pac-12 Network, HBO, etc. I've had multiple relatives offer me their Netflix password to login and watch stuff, but I'm not a binge watcher, so no need, I mostly just watch the free channels and sports. Will never go back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living