Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 04:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times

Advertisements

The con of cutting remains "You can't watch wall to wall sports by flipping channels."

Workarounds and options continue to increase, though.

Word has it that as of the 2021(?) contract expiration, NFL games will be available NOWHERE except from an NFL streaming app. No broadcast. No cable. No general availability. At last, we'll be able to sleep nights knowing that poor NFL Inc. isn't leaving nickels on the table for others, or letting a single pair of eyeballs watch for free. Their precious billions in revenue will be safe at last.

But, of course, there's their unpaid farm system to consider...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 04:53 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
No cons.
It should be noted, though, that nobody in the household watches televised sports.
This is my situation, as well.

I also have cheap, slow internet and don't stream.

I get TV shows and movies from the library for free or rent them from Family Video. That's how I watched "Game of Thrones."

More power to you if you want and can afford cable, but I help seniors and others on fixed incomes set up over-the-air antennas and find alternatives, like borrowing TV shows on DVD from the library. Affordable entertainment is out there.

For some sports, a tall TV antenna with a rotor can be used. A neighbor uses that to get a lot of the local games. That was a one-time outlay of around $450, but it has long since paid for itself.

I don't care for sports, and 23 over-the-air channels (including MeTv and the new movie channel) are plenty for me. I mostly watch PBS, anyway.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:58 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
We cut the cord a year ago, no regrets, just significant savings. Our cable + internet had been running close to $200/month ($180-something, I believe). We now have internet, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. Cost (in order) is $30, $8, $10, and $12 (we gladly pay the extra $4/mo to get Hulu without commercials).

So we now pay $60/month instead of $180-ish.

This house happened to have an outside antenna left by the previous owners, which is nice to have, but we rarely watch live TV.

Plus, around the same time, we slashed our cell phone bill from $118 for our 2 phones down to $60 (that's the total, no additional taxes or fees, and it is unlimited everything), price locked in forever with TMobile's promo for age 55 and up.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:01 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I think the sports channels are where the cable companies have you over the barrel. Try as we would, we simply could not get EPL and MSL games without extra fees, and one channel never has them all, you have to subscribe to Bein, Espn, FSC, and Lord know what else to get a complete lineup. I can't imagine what it must be like if you follow more than one particular sport regularly.

Check out YoutubeTV. I think they just went to $40/mo.. I'm still locked at $35/mo

But.. Sports? Covered for me. OP talking about soccer, not sure about it, but sports channels are.. ESPN, ESPN2, SEC Network, ESPN U, ESPNNews, FS1, FS2, Fox Sport Southeast, Fox Sports Carolinas, NBCSN, NBA TV, MLB Network, BTN, CBS Sports Network, Golf Channel, Olympic Channel and Tennis Channel.

Couple that with local NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC and CW channels.. I'm covered. Plus.. they stream in full 4k.

Also get all news channels, and most everything that's not Viacom or Discovery.

The big things I wanted.. I wanted College Football, Hockey, Doctor Who, local channels, AMC and Comedy Central for South Park. I don't get Comedy Central, but they post South Park to Hulu the next day, uncensored. So.. I'm fine with that.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:14 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Plus, around the same time, we slashed our cell phone bill from $118 for our 2 phones down to $60 (that's the total, no additional taxes or fees, and it is unlimited everything), price locked in forever with TMobile's promo for age 55 and up.
Did that include all the data you want? Sounds a great deal. A bit more than the $40 I'm paying for 2 phones but I have limited data with that. What about service outside the US with that plan?

Old 09-11-2018, 09:42 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I got something in the mail that says they now have a package where you pick 10-15 channels plus locals for $21.99/month (price for first 24 months).

now THAT sounds intriguing!!

Old 09-11-2018, 12:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
No TV since 1968

I found better things to do with my time (I live rural)
No loss

No available cable / DSL / internet at my home (rural)
Satellite dishes not allowed (National Scenic area)

Simple solution... find something else to do. (more productive)

Old 09-13-2018, 12:59 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,664,766 times
Cut Dish Network satellite 2 months ago. Got DirecTV now streaming and an outsidectv antenna. Went from $120 a month to $40 a month with all the channels we watched.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:32 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,808 times
Kudos to those people who live in areas where fast internet service can be purchased for about 40 to 50 per month. Where I live, at that price point, the speed for streaming and browsing would be ok during non peak usage but just awful during those times of day where network usuage is high.

Old 09-15-2018, 02:54 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Kudos to those people who live in areas where fast internet service can be purchased for about 40 to 50 per month. Where I live, at that price point, the speed for streaming and browsing would be ok during non peak usage but just awful during those times of day where network usuage is high.
I stream tv service on 3.5 Mb internet...granted that’s one tv and I don’t do much on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living