Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Im going to purchase some soap but its not the regular soap you buy. But its more the soap for lightening. I had purchased this a while back and the bars were very tiny... i noticed they ran out very quickly. Does anyone have tips on how to make soap last longer? If it matters, its kojie san soap.

Another thing i want to ask is where do you generally keep your soap? I don't have those things where you just put your soap there in the shower etc. I didn't buy any of those soap holders, so i had just put it in like a ziplock bag instead. I could not find any soap holders where im located. Not in the US at the moment so thats the reason. By any chance does that cause soap is run out faster? Putting it in like a small sort of ziplock bag? Its not a ziplock but its basically those bags you get where you put food in it. The other thing is with soap, i believe when you spray hot water over it, it wears out a lot faster than cold water correct? Also the reason i ask this is because its hard to get that type of soap where im located so when i do get it, i want to make sure i have enough of it because its hard to get it here. Obviously i could buy a lot of them but i don't need all of the soap at once.

Also, do soap boxes make soap last longer? And if so, is this good? The other thing is im curious but if you have those things where you just put the soap on it.. like its attached to the wall etc, does that wear the soap out faster as oppose to keeping it in a soap box like the one below? Also isn't it better because it closes the soap in a way?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LW8WWFB7&psc=1

Thanks.

Bar of soap?

I think the last time I encounter a bar of soap was in the early 90s. They still produce bar of soaps?

Maybe you should use a shower gel instead of a bar of soap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 08:21 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,825,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Bar of soap?

I think the last time I encounter a bar of soap was in the early 90s. They still produce bar of soaps?

Bad hair day or shopping at discounters only?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:51 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There are some pro and cons for each, but it's to the user to choose their preference.
Bar soap is more economical than liquid in a dispenser. Typically, they dispense a predetermined amount and there is almost no way to adjust this. Often it is more than is needed to create a sufficient lather.
Actually, I use "half-pumps" of liquid soap all the time - that's for handwashing where the container is a pump. Of course in the shower the bottle is like for shampoo where you squeeze out just as much as you want.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:22 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,631,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Bar of soap?

LOL, wow, obviously they do, yes. I have never consistently used liquid soap in the shower, I think it's honestly just bizarre. The whole concept makes no sense to me. Other people are right, it's a HUGE waste, and it's not just that, because I really don't care that much about a few bucks, but it's too annoying.

*open liquid soap, put some into your hand. Use it for your arms, armpits... uh oh, well that's that. It's out.*
*open liquid soap again, put some more into your hand. Use it for your chest, maybe work your way down a bit here without getting graphic, now... oh boy it's out again.
*open liquid soap again*

You get the idea. What in the heck did anyone make this invention up and think it was a good idea? A bar of soap takes no time whatsoever to use for your whole body, it's just easy, and makes sense. Opening up a bottle of liquid 7 times to get soap all over your body is just bafflingly stupid and I cannot figure out why anyone would go through that hassle. I've only done it on the road when I have no other choice because I stepped into the shower without the bar. Or maybe I was at a friend's house or something like that. Otherwise, absolutely not, I'd still use bars of soap even if they cost 10 times as much because I will not live my life hassling with liquid soap anywhere but my hands.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:16 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
I gotta say, the liquid soap vs. bar soap topic definitely polarizes people! I'm sooooooo glad I can pick what I want!

BTW, I never soap my entire body at once even when I used bar soap. I do "sections" and then I rinse...always have. So picking up a bar of soap is the same as the bottle - and who closes it each time?!

Old 09-25-2018, 07:35 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
I am extra greasy, stinky and sweaty......I cannot scrimp on lathering-up really good.

I mean really, I can buy 3 good sized bars for a buck, how much are you really going to save on something like this???? And Tickyul is VERY much a cheapo.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:06 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
I use washcloths like these, they are scratchy like a dishcloth and feel sooooo good!

https://www.ulta.com/super-loofah-ex...iABEgKfjPD_BwE

I found some at Walmart years ago and I bought enough to last the rest of my life. LOL

Anyway, I rub the bar of soap on the washcloth until it is nice and soapy, just one time, then I wash all over.

When done, I rinse the soap out of the washcloth really well and hang it up to dry, then I rinse me and I am done!

Just checked and Walmart still has them though I never see them in the store anymore.....a lot cheaper.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Bene...cloth/16935746

Tickyul......I bet you would like them. They lather up really well and they would certainly scrub off greasy dirt easily.

Ooops. Just noticed they are out of stock and it looks like Walmart no longer carries them.

Found some just like them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Evriholder-So...7W9FSCBGRXS69A

Last edited by Annie53; 09-26-2018 at 03:39 AM..

Old 10-09-2018, 08:27 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,197,967 times
My grandparents used to make lye soap. There were large, hard, square chunks of it and one chunk would last several years. It didn't really make you smell better though. It just made you smell like lye soap, which was not a sweet odor buy any means. You would use it real quick and set it down.

I made a soap saver using a strong magnet and then I press a bottle cap into the bar of soap and hang it. It will make the soap last for a very long time. In a shower, it could be used, but you would need to hang it higher than the shower head, I think, or the soap would get wet and melt away.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
Make your own soap. All you need is lard (really cheap) and lye (also cheap). You can use practically any cooking oil or fat, whatever is cheapest. You can make Castile soap (uses olive oil, which is more expensive than lard) and the bars last a very long time.

The most important thing is to not let your soap sit in a dish that collects water. It must dry out between uses or otherwise the soft soap melts away quickly.

I've been an amateur soapmaker for more than a decade. I don't sell, I just do it for fun. I give away most of my soap. My friend makes soap too and gives it to a woman's shelter.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:36 PM

3,948 posts, read 2,571,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Easiest solution is just shower twice a week. You'll find your expenses plummet, and I'm not just talking about the obvious savings on both water usage and soap, but also (not sure if this is related) it seems like you'll stop being asked out on social obligations nearly as much, if at all, which cuts your gas costs, lets you change your oil less frequently, and saves on the expense of eating out, too. It's amazing, it's life changing really, you gotta try it!
Ha You win the thread! Your prize is a bar of soap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living