Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Make your own soap.
Ivory runs about 75 cents a bar. How much cheaper can you get once you consider all costs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Boy, just when you think you have seen everything, something like this pops up! Never heard of such a thing!
The Japanese have used them for a long time. Most sold here are still exports, packaged for the Japanese market.

Quote:
Doesn't look like it is something you could use if you are renting.....putting holes in the wall above a sink or in the shower.
All of mine have attached with 3M foam tape. Never had it fail and a firm twist will remove it.

Quote:
......and, what happens as the bar of soap gets thinner and thinner?
The bar can get pretty small on that holder. I switch bars and then at the end of the shower, "weld" the old sliver to the new one with soap sludge, then let it sit upside down on a shelf until the next time. My soap waste is probably near zero, unless you count sudsing my pits twice when I'm absent-minded.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:27 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,114,067 times
I hope a "Jonathette" is not in my future. I won't sleep with anybody who doesn't bathe daily.

Any woman I hook up with has soap for life since soapmaking is one of my hobbies.

At least Jonathan recognizes what Clint Eastwood said, "A man has got to know his limitations." In his case I'd measrue maybe 6 feet radius.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:27 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
^^^^Good thing you didn't live a generation ago when daily bathing wasn't possible for most.
You may have been close to one or two and not known it. Daily bathing is a relatively recent "necessity".

Old 10-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Worse, I have occasionally passed people who had noticeable body odor. Tobacco stink is just as bad. Oh, and road kill breath!

Old 10-11-2018, 11:50 AM

^^^A definite deal-breaker!

Sometimes I'd like to time-travel to the past, then I think "Noooo…..the smell!"

Old 10-11-2018, 12:14 PM

I'd travel to the past and make some investments (while I hold my nose) and then GTFO. Back in the future I'd cash out and woo hoo!

I believe that is why perfume was invented, to cover body odor due to that era's custom of not bathing daily. Ew, and the powdered wigs?

I had a woman friend once (not a romantic relationship) and she teased around about her taking a PTA bath. (Anatomical reference.) She always made me laugh! I'll always remember her as my first black friend.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:26 PM

^^^True about perfumes. Also about the spice trade being such a big commodity because the spices covered up the rotting meat/food.

EEEWW those wigs. Many shaved their heads due to lice, so had wigs.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:08 PM

Yes, you reminded me of the rotted food too. And I bet their sewage flowed down gutters in the middle of the street. And no inside plumbing!

Anybody who is concerned about frugality and soap should just make their own soap. There's plenty of "how to" on the Internet. You use an empty milk carton as a mold. I still have my first soap bar I ever made (1 sample) and it's the size of a milk carton in foot print. It has been a fun hobby for me. It goes well with my gourmet cooking hobby. (And cooking your own food from whole ingredients is very frugal. It's processed foods that are expensive, the ingredients are relatively cheap.)

Old 10-11-2018, 01:33 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Another thing to consider when making the earth-shattering choice between "dry" soap and liquid: liquid soaps are a lot better for septic systems than bar soaps and powdered laundry detergent. There tends to be less of the "filler" ingredients that clog up the soil pores in liquids. As far as economics goes, getting septic tanks pumped more often will cost you a lot more than those pennies you think you need to save buying bar soap!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living