Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:25 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,583,688 times

Advertisements

Would a phone with a hot spot work for your needs?

I use that plus DVDs that come in the mail for movies & shows I can"t find in the library. But then again our library has a great dvd collection and rabbit ears bring in plenty of stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 04:02 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So weird reading about these "low income" or "lifeline" rate of 15-20mbps, or their "basic" tier of 24-25mbps." When the fastest speed available in our town is still 2mbps.
I have 115 mbps. I could qualify for 30 mbps lifeline service, but I would never be able to live with that. I watch too much high definition streaming video.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:06 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,596,724 times
I've been looking to economize with internet -- have standalone internet for $55 a month for 50 mbps. Checked into data plans with hot spots but my usage is too high to be economical. Does anyone know anything about 5G? I'd like to get a new phone/data plan and am waiting for 5G to see if it's a better deal. My main concern is security in using any public internet.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:25 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,753,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I've been looking to economize with internet -- have standalone internet for $55 a month for 50 mbps. Checked into data plans with hot spots but my usage is too high to be economical. Does anyone know anything about 5G? I'd like to get a new phone/data plan and am waiting for 5G to see if it's a better deal. My main concern is security in using any public internet.
5G is years from being an option for anyone but test markets, and then major cities. And then will evolve for years after that. Wireless data has gotten more and more sophisticated and improvements (like LTE) can be rolled out faster on what are now more adaptable hardware platforms, but it still takes time for the big leaps to be implemented.

Don't wait by the phone, in other words, even if it's bundled in for free.

And as for saving money with it... only in a $/Mbps sense, if then. It might be the cheapest 100 around, but <50 by wire will be cheaper and get a lot cheaper.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:08 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
My cable company starts at $35 plus equipment taxes and fees for 50 Mbps. But it jumps the second year, so what you are paying is reasonable.

So far only Verizon has announced fixed wireless 5G (and it's not really standard 5G), but it is $70 for non Verizon customers, an $50 for Verizon customers.

Companies are increasingly offering more for better prices, but they are not really interested in dropping the bottom tier. Nobody is going to offer decent ISP for $20 a month.

Instead the plans are getting better and better at the higher prices. AT&T is offering HD video, 15 GB hotspot, 31 live channels and video on demand plus HBO for $80. That's a pretty good price for a nonsports fan telecommunication needs.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:17 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,596,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
My cable company starts at $35 plus equipment taxes and fees for 50 Mbps. But it jumps the second year, so what you are paying is reasonable.

So far only Verizon has announced fixed wireless 5G (and it's not really standard 5G), but it is $70 for non Verizon customers, an $50 for Verizon customers.

Companies are increasingly offering more for better prices, but they are not really interested in dropping the bottom tier. Nobody is going to offer decent ISP for $20 a month.

Instead the plans are getting better and better at the higher prices. AT&T is offering HD video, 15 GB hotspot, 31 live channels and video on demand plus HBO for $80. That's a pretty good price for a nonsports fan telecommunication needs.
That seems close to what I am looking for. Right now I have separate carriers for cable, cell phone and internet and I am trying to find a bundled plan for about $100. I'll need to check whether 15GB hot spot would suffice for home internet and what channels are included. thanks.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:36 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
That seems close to what I am looking for. Right now I have separate carriers for cable, cell phone and internet and I am trying to find a bundled plan for about $100. I'll need to check whether 15GB hot spot would suffice for home internet and what channels are included. thanks.
The $80 AT&T Unlimited &More Premium plan is basically the corporate justification for acquiring Warner Media. They wanted to show the US Department of Justice that prices could go down because of the merger. They bundled their 9 channels from WarnerMedia with the channels from four other small media companies. You also get HBO for $80.

The only problem with this plan is it really is an excellent bargain for a single person who doesn't like sports as the $150 price for two people seems overpriced. The plan is $170 for three people.

You need to cast your image from your phone to your TV while at home.

I think you can upgrade to more channels including sports for $105 for one person.

1. CNN --------- AT&T -WarnerMedia
  2. HLN --------- AT&T -WarnerMedia
  3. TBS --------- AT&T -WarnerMedia
  4. TCM --------- AT&T -WarnerMedia
  5. TNT --------- AT&T -WarnerMedia
  6. truTV --------- AT&T -WarnerMedia
  7. Audience --------- AT&T -WarnerMedia
  8. Boomerang --------- AT&T -WarnerMedia
  9. Cartoon Network --------- AT&T -WarnerMedia
  10. Hallmark Channel --------- Crown Media
  11. Hallmark Movies and Mysteries --------- Crown Media
  12. A&E --------- A&E
  13. FYI --------- A&E
  14. History --------- A&E
  15. Lifetime --------- A&E
  16. Lifetime Movie Network --------- A&E
  17. Viceland --------- A&E
  18. AMC --------- AMC
  19. BBC America --------- AMC
  20. BBC World News --------- AMC
  21. IFC --------- AMC
  22. Sundance TV --------- AMC
  23. WE TV --------- AMC
  24. Discovery Channel --------- DISCOVERY
  25. Animal Planet --------- DISCOVERY
  26. Food Network --------- DISCOVERY
  27. HGTV --------- DISCOVERY
  28. Investigation Discovery --------- DISCOVERY
  29. OWN --------- DISCOVERY
  30. TLC --------- DISCOVERY
  31. Velocity --------- DISCOVERY

Old 10-30-2018, 05:04 PM

605 posts, read 335,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisjay2 View Post
Is there a router i can purchase just to pull in internet without having to pay for an install contract with like infinity or internet provider......the house im renting had free internet coming in some how with just a linksys router that worked through all devices...but now for some reason the signal isnt coming in..........hotspotting from phone is too slow.....
yes but there is only certain models of linksys routers you can do this with. Offhand I do not know what they are.
And an extender antenna is what you need. There is also software I believe you must download but not sure about that part

google dial up free internet. Years ago I used a few phone numbers to get online when our cable went out. Had the phone numbers already handy to do so. Some non-profit organization provides free phone numbers.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:29 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
yes but there is only certain models of linksys routers you can do this with. Offhand I do not know what they are.
And an extender antenna is what you need. There is also software I believe you must download but not sure about that part

google dial up free internet. Years ago I used a few phone numbers to get online when our cable went out. Had the phone numbers already handy to do so. Some non-profit organization provides free phone numbers.

So the free internet is over a phone line? what speed do you get?

Old 10-30-2018, 09:01 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have 115 mbps. I could qualify for 30 mbps lifeline service, but I would never be able to live with that. I watch too much high definition streaming video.
this is why frugal living fails... cant live without speeds more than 30 mbps?

at least i do fine on 5 mbps for free internet from google... streaming video is fine for me, maybe not HD, i dont know what definition it is really, but it is clear enough.

well i could pay $15 for 25 mbps or $50 for 100 mbps or $70 for 1gbps but 5mbps works for me

that said, i can plug my phone into tv by hdmi cable for a desktop mode, then play videos off of cellphone or use Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and use it as a pc with tv as a monitor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living