Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 12:37 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,059,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
this is why frugal living fails... cant live without speeds more than 30 mbps?

at least i do fine on 5 mbps for free internet from google... streaming video is fine for me, maybe not HD, i dont know what definition it is really, but it is clear enough.

well i could pay $15 for 25 mbps or $50 for 100 mbps or $70 for 1gbps but 5mbps works for me

that said, i can plug my phone into tv by hdmi cable for a desktop mode, then play videos off of cellphone or use Bluetooth keyboard/mouse and use it as a pc with tv as a monitor

It's not a fail. YouTube is my TV. I watch YouTube about 6 to 12 hours a day. I'm not happy with the price of my internet, but it still saves me about $35 a month over the price of having cable TV or satellite. So I think I'm being frugal. It is the cheapest option. YouTube HD videos stream at 70 - 80 mbps for me. So I need at least that speed. I'm not looking for gigabit internet, but 25 mbps just isn't going to cut it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 12:28 PM

605 posts, read 335,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
So the free internet is over a phone line? what speed do you get?
It was very slow, that's all I can remember. You could send email within a few minutes and youtube would work some of the time. If not in California, not sure what you'd do
I do not recognize this website but it has A TON of access ## for california, one even in our tiny county just 30 min away.
https://www.dialup4less.com/california.htmla
Otherwise we went to sharing the internet with the next door neighbors who were always using our trashcan. They spent maybe $5 more a month for internet in a package deal. They were always watching television.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:42 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It's not a fail. YouTube is my TV. I watch YouTube about 6 to 12 hours a day.
...and you have convinced yourself that unless it's in HD or 4K with the least compression, it's not worth watching.

Your stand on this has nothing to do with "frugal living" or saving money in any way, and it's tiresome to have you keep muddying that discussion with endless justifications (mostly ignorant) for your "video hi-fi" addiction, with the foggy assumption that you somehow represent a significant percentage of viewers.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:59 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
So the free internet is over a phone line? what speed do you get?
I think it would depend on whether your phoneline is DSL compliant.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Well, in theory, any copper pair is DSL compliant, moreso with ADSL. But distance, resistance, iffy connections and bridge taps... compliance might be reduced to someone reading you a web site.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:24 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Well, in theory, any copper pair is DSL compliant, moreso with ADSL. But distance, resistance, iffy connections and bridge taps... compliance might be reduced to someone reading you a web site.
Regular phone lines only carry audio signals at frequencies ranging from 0 kHz to 4 kHz.

DSL uses carrier bandwidth frequencies between 25 kHz and 1 MHz.

The idea of using twisted copper pairs was to allow for lower impedance while carrying the higher frequencies.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Regular phone lines only carry audio signals at frequencies ranging from 0 kHz to 4 kHz.

DSL uses carrier bandwidth frequencies between 25 kHz and 1 MHz.

The idea of using twisted copper pairs was to allow for lower impedance while carrying the higher frequencies.
You're confusing two different things. The (traditional) (and most cell) phone systems limit the audio bandwidth to about 4kHz for many technical and efficiency reasons. Unless you're using a cell network with "HD sound" or whatever, you simply cannot get anything but 100Hz to about 3.8kHz through the channel.

The solid copper wires between a headend and your DSL modem can and do handle much, much higher frequencies. They only have to travel that one copper link, not through switches and companders and satellite links and digitization and so forth.

Totally different aspects of the system.

I did a LOT of work in the '90s getting maximum audio quality and fax imaging through that tiny keyhole. )

Old 10-31-2018, 08:10 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Quote:

Free DSL connections? The only ones I found were ones that used dialup and limited to about 56K. I thought DSL required dedicated compatible equipment on both ends. Someone does that for free?

Old 11-03-2018, 10:36 PM

325 posts, read 163,527 times
starbucks
if you have a data plan on your cell you might be able to use your cell phone as a modem or theres a jet pack for 20.00 a month. i wouldn't waste my $$$ on a jet pack now a days. i have verizons 5G whole home broadband and it's amazing. there only nailing me $ 50.00 a month for DL speeds that are in the GIGS vs mbps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living