Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 11:47 PM

3,365 posts, read 1,259,137 times

Advertisements

Of course is it.
There are happy people with next to nothing and there are miserable rich people who can buy anything they want.

My belief is if you're worried about what other people think of you, you're probably going to be miserable unless you're filthy rich and can buy whatever it is you think you need to impress people.

If you don't care what other people think then do what makes you happy.
I don't care about clothes, shoes, cars (my car is old and scratched up, i can easily afford a nice new one but it runs great) so I don't waste money on those things.

I do like eating out so I'll spend money on that. As i mentioned in another thread I like going to baseball games so I'll spend money on that. I bought a great giant TV because I love watching sports and the TV has function. I don't buy any of these things to impress anybody.

Do what makes you happy as long as you can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 01:45 AM

23,547 posts, read 19,330,755 times
Yes it is. I think a lot of the problem is that people can't figure out WHICH of all the non-essential things in their lives matter the most to them and which they get coerced into believing must matter most. They are too easily influenced by what others do or have. In the end you can only really please or satisfy yourself. Forget what others do.

At some point once your head is actually above water (a place to live, food on the table, utilities and services in hand, the basics), there are all sorts of things to desire; hobbies, sports, entertainment, other non-essential possessions, etc. No one says you can't have some of these things, but you obviously can't have the best of all of them. Be honest and identify the ones you really don't care about being the ultimate and lay them aside. Be content with less for those. You'll probably be surprised how many things can be dismissed this way. If you find one thing you really care about there's no law stating you can't fulfill that little desire. The point is to stick to the one or the very few and not get lost in the rest of the trivia.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:23 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,575,780 times
It's very hard to do. First of all, most of the messages we get are "we need more".

Go look at the personal finance page. LOL "suzy Orman says you need 5 million dollars to retire early".

Next the second message we get is "fear". I am experiencing this message because I'm trying to get ready to retire. basically I've found that overall message is "be afraid" of old age. You might get sick, you might get hurt, you might get..... all of it tells us we need "more". more money, more stuff, more of everything.

so for the average person in America there is a constant stress of never having "enough"

Old 10-18-2018, 06:10 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,948,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I’m wondering if it’s possible for one to accept what they have at a given point (assuming all of life’s basic needs are met) and be as happy as someone that has much nicer things and possibly wants more? Is it possible that happiness can really be a state of mind and lifestyle creep can almost totally be avoided? Life seems very vibrant when you can find enjoyment in the simplest of things or if you can reconnect with the enjoyment those simple things once brought you.
Of course it is. That's my mindset right now (and I'm sure others as well). I have plans of fixing things up, but I'm very happy with what I have right now and realize it's a lot more than others. I think it makes life enjoyable to have goals to work toward so that's why I have plans for my business and fixing up my house. Yet right now I'm exceptionally happy with my job and where I live and the things that I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Next the second message we get is "fear". I am experiencing this message because I'm trying to get ready to retire. basically I've found that overall message is "be afraid" of old age. You might get sick, you might get hurt, you might get..... all of it tells us we need "more". more money, more stuff, more of everything.
That's only if you want to retire which is relatively a new thing in the world. I plan on working until I die. It may be tough, but you have to be tough if you get old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
so for the average person in America there is a constant stress of never having "enough"
Which stress leads to the sickness and incapacities because stress takes a severe toll on the health of your body. A downward spiral to avoid.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 10-18-2018 at 06:20 AM..

Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,822,056 times
This is a two-part problem. A majority of people would agree with a general statement that we can live with less stuff, in modest circumstances, etc. (Barring the unreconstructed Yuppies still addicted to 'the world is not enough.')

But actually making the choices that lead to that life... well, there's the rub and you think salmon have trouble swimming upstream... there's always-always a reason for everything we have, or buy, or spend on, or "need." It's those other guys who throw away their money, you see.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:10 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,078,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes it is. I think a lot of the problem is that people can't figure out WHICH of all the non-essential things in their lives matter the most to them and which they get coerced into believing must matter most. They are too easily influenced by what others do or have. In the end you can only really please or satisfy yourself. Forget what others do.

At some point once your head is actually above water (a place to live, food on the table, utilities and services in hand, the basics), there are all sorts of things to desire; hobbies, sports, entertainment, other non-essential possessions, etc. No one says you can't have some of these things, but you obviously can't have the best of all of them. Be honest and identify the ones you really don't care about being the ultimate and lay them aside. Be content with less for those. You'll probably be surprised how many things can be dismissed this way. If you find one thing you really care about there's no law stating you can't fulfill that little desire. The point is to stick to the one or the very few and not get lost in the rest of the trivia.
The above answer really sums it up quite nicely...

I remember a friend arguing with me that I did alot of my own work in business, stating I was paying myself $10.00 per hour when I could hire the work out and use my time and skill/knowledge to earn more. This friend had a multitude of health issues from the stress of their job, along with serious burnout that frequently affected their mood.

Neighbors frown on me because I keep a "natural" and "working" yard (no pesticides/fertilizers), store items for my job on the property rather than keep a separate facility, recycle my grass clippings, split and maintain a pile of firewood, etc. I maintain a "green" property with a low carbon footprint, recyclable/sustainable fuel/materials, little or no pollution.

And the sense of accomplishment I derive from the development of skills on all the projects I complete, along with the admiration of my "true" friends saying "you can do just about anything!" or "Is there anything your NOT good at?" is a reward money simply cannot buy. The physical labor involved in my life keeps me in the physical condition that prompt Doctors to proclaim I am in excellent shape for someone my age. I save an incalculable amount of money doing all that I do, my senses, balance and agility are all keener, which enables me to enjoy sports and hobbies I enjoy.

It is really cyclical, one thing fuels and enables another, leading to a compounding growth... There is a "Zen" to it, and once you achieve enlightenment, you are never jealous/covetous/envious of the possessions, travels, etc. of anyone ever again...

Old 10-19-2018, 04:02 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,511,121 times
Quote:
I’m wondering if it’s possible for one to accept what they have at a given point (assuming all of life’s basic needs are met) and be as happy as someone that has much nicer things and possibly wants more? Is it possible that happiness can really be a state of mind and lifestyle creep can almost totally be avoided? Life seems very vibrant when you can find enjoyment in the simplest of things or if you can reconnect with the enjoyment those simple things once brought you.
Awesome thread!

Happiness has little to do with money and things. I know a person who has millions. The individual is one of the most despicable people I have ever met.

I think being comfortable is best. What can be better than a nice day. Dancing around the house for no reason at all. Being in a good mood regardless of your situation. I strive to be comfortable and secure but true happiness comes from within.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:55 AM

13,733 posts, read 12,551,158 times
Quote:
Absolutely. And its possible to be happy with what one has while working towards greater goals too.

The Old Testament says in Proverbs, "...Contentment is a feast without end." Its all about mindset after a certain point.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:53 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,693,619 times
I think Advertising has a lot to do with people not being happy with what they have and akways wanting more. If you didn’t know an iphone55 was coming out, you’d be satisfied with your iPhone54 that works just fine

Old 10-19-2018, 09:03 PM

29,259 posts, read 16,880,843 times
Live Simply, Have ENUF, and work mostly for Good Health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living