Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 08:06 PM

605 posts, read 337,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I have to disagree with most posters on this thread. I believe we need more than simply having our "basic needs" met. Maybe if you are 20 years old, living in some dump and you have your whole life ahead of you, that is different. But if made some bad choices, you are older with limited financial resources, you don't own a home and your health is waning, and you are living in a crappy apartment in a bad area, it can be hard to be "happy".

Having "nice things" does not have to mean fancy things. But some element of financial security is essential for a reasonably decent quality of life as we get older.
This is so true. Much depends upon where you live and your health. If you are in excellent health, and live in nature, your hobbies are endless. poor, sick and living in a crappy apartment in the city, well NO THANK YOU. In that case, I agree. I'd need ALOT more money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 09:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,971,427 times
Sure.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:34 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,575,780 times
Also remember "Chasing better" is not inherently bad. for example, I'm a amateur baker, lol got laid off went back to culinary school, the whole nine yards. For me, a small house is never ever going to work. I need a big kitchen, just do. happiness for me is having my 4 best friends sitting around the island, baking eating and laughing. If I could find a 1800 square house with a kitchen that could fit a 50 inch wolf or viking range and side by side fridge, I'd be there.
So I made that a goal early in life.

LOL, now of course things like "health" and "kids happiness" always takes priority and I'd like to think I have my other priorities together but if someone said to me they were saving up to take a round the world cruise, I would think, wow that's great.

I do want my kids to achieve better than me. so as with many things I think it's a bit of a balancing act.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:17 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,983,280 times
I knew of one who used to travel all around the country until financial considerations limited him to maybe 200 miles. He was amazed at how much there was to see so close to home.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:48 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,788,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I want more and don't have a lot of money but i"m happy. i have a modest house, I'm making headway to get out of my credit card debt. Life is good, no complaints. $100 million or more would be nice but if it's not in the cards that fine too. I do wish I had more as a safety net like when something breaks but as long as I can survive I'm fine. In the grand scheme of things I may not have much but I have more than what half the world has.
Sounds like a good life. People equate "wanting more" with wanting luxury, mansions, etc. Some of us just want a better life - a modest house, a car that won't leave us stranded, a safety net if we get sick or injured.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:07 PM

1,308 posts, read 866,648 times
Agreed, Eeko156. A basic level of security and comfort is necessary, especially as one gets older. I took the "chasing" to be after "stuff" far in excess of this.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,850 posts, read 58,453,030 times
$35 car
$100/ month food and entertainment budget
No TV (since 1968)
No Amazon PRIME
Works for me.

Would even be better if the Tax man and Health Insurance could get off their <$1000/ month (each) habit.

No internet at my USA locations. (connectivity would be handy and save a lot of trips to town)

Old 10-24-2018, 12:10 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,387,545 times
You have a car, have a decent landed house (with AC and basic appliances and furniture), with good internet connectivity,good access to basic utilities. yes, be contented.

Have you guys lived in Singapore? I did, even a person in executive position cannot afford a car. If they do, they settle for cheaper Malaysian car or those tiny cars from Honda and Toyota. Camry is a luxury car in Singapore. Landed houses are only for the uber rich people. Singaporeans can only dream of a life of a middle class American.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:40 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,673,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I have to disagree with most posters on this thread. I believe we need more than simply having our "basic needs" met. Maybe if you are 20 years old, living in some dump and you have your whole life ahead of you, that is different. But if made some bad choices, you are older with limited financial resources, you don't own a home and your health is waning, and you are living in a crappy apartment in a bad area, it can be hard to be "happy".

Having "nice things" does not have to mean fancy things. But some element of financial security is essential for a reasonably decent quality of life as we get older.
That's definitely true. I also think there's a difference between chasing bigger and better dreams and chasing more "stuff" or luxuries. I have financial security, what I don't have is the career achievements I want, so of course I want "better" than what I have, but it's not about stuff, it's about the life I want to live and the goals I want to achieve. The stuff is kind of the icing on the cake, it's fun having a nice house, it's good having a great car, but none of that really brings me any true and lasting happiness. Only achievement can do that. Maybe some people are wired differently and in my position they'd be the happiest person on the planet, which is great, but there's only so much fun you can have before you want to do something meaningful.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:09 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,971,427 times
Yes its possible, but its not normal. The media were exposed to constantly encourages you to buy. Plus all the other people around you constantly buy, so its weird when some people dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living