Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 07:09 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times

Advertisements

As a quilter/fabric hoarder/yarn hoarder, I find them very useful. The smaller ones are good for keeping parts of a project together.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:11 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
those zippered, thick plastic bags/containers that sheet sets, comforters, and pillowcases come in? I have to do something with the many I have saved FOR YEARS! I do not store my linens in them, I have a linen closet for that. I used them when I moved but have been here now for 5 YEARS. I just went to put them in the bag for recycled plastic bags, then saw a cardboard square in the bottom of a pillowcase one that made it sturdy/able to stand up, and immediately my mind said "I could use this to transport food on a plate or square foil pan that is too tall to have a lid, or that saran wrap might mash the top/frosting on cupcakes, this would be good, it has a handle......"

I have a problem with keeping odd things, such as paper bags with handles, both plain (can decorate for a holiday, birthday, other gift giving occasion), and from businesses (there's nothing wrong with them, who knows when I might need a "tote" bag ), odd shaped cardboard boxes (a long/tall one holds my standing holiday figure), bubble wrap that is still good to use, and of course, the above mentioned bags. I do some scrapbooking and want to do crafts so I see "good" items with that in mind........(I could use this for "fill in the blank").

Your suggestions, whether I need to get rid of these items or ideas on what you use them for, are greatly appreciated!
You could put all of your do-dah in one of them and then just zippa de do dah.

Temporary mini-greenhouses, terrariums, places for orchid cutting starts (they need high humidity and light).

Container for auto emergency stuff.

de-construct and use the plastic in crafts (window art?) Use the zipper for a pillowcase or cushion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 10:56 AM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Packratism is a form of insanity.....I have a touch but can keep it in check.

Throw stuff away or donate it.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:37 AM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
I love those zippered plastic bags and have used them to store things. I'm down to two, so I'll take any that you're not going to use.

I've used every square inch of bubble wrap that has entered my life from a shipment. It doesn't seem to be used any more. Now I get wadded up brown paper and air bags. I have no use for either.

I once used a small, brown bag with handles to "wrap" a Christmas gift for my son. I hot glued holly sprigs and a cluster of berries to it and made a bow from kitchen twine and red curly ribbon. He actually looked at it for a few moments before opening it and told me that it was beautiful. He's a thoughtful guy, but I was still a bit surprised.

I save rubber bands, too. They're in a Ziplock bag in my amazing drawer full of stuff that you didn't know you needed until you did.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:53 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,113,643 times
We use the smaller ones to sort out the stuff that collects in bathroom drawers. One is for bandages and first aid, one has various dental things, one has things like nail clippers, etc.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:28 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
I keep sheets/blanket/curtains that aren't in use in them. I don't keep them all, though.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:37 AM

503 posts, read 772,190 times
I use the plastic ones to transport toiletries when I travel or I throw blankets that we don't use often in the big ones. You could also put your shoes in them when you travel. I use the fabric ones as ice pack covers.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:33 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,179,429 times
I've used large ones to store art that is not on the wall, small ones to pack stuff in carry-on luggage for travel, and also to store different categories of items like computer cables, cell phone related stuff, etc. But I agree that if you cant find a use for them fairly quickly, its best to thin out the junk.

Old 11-10-2018, 03:47 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,537,817 times
[quote=VTsnowbird;53540225]As a quilter/fabric hoarder/yarn hoarder, I find them very useful. The smaller ones are good for keeping parts of a project together.[/q uote]

Aaahh…. I was just going to say that. I also put my quilt projects in those as they go along to keep them clean, and they keep the kitty off them too. Since I don't make large quilts anymore, they come in handy also for storing yarn. You know, the stuff we 'have to have'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living