Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 12:30 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times

Advertisements

those zippered, thick plastic bags/containers that sheet sets, comforters, and pillowcases come in? I have to do something with the many I have saved FOR YEARS! I do not store my linens in them, I have a linen closet for that. I used them when I moved but have been here now for 5 YEARS. I just went to put them in the bag for recycled plastic bags, then saw a cardboard square in the bottom of a pillowcase one that made it sturdy/able to stand up, and immediately my mind said "I could use this to transport food on a plate or square foil pan that is too tall to have a lid, or that saran wrap might mash the top/frosting on cupcakes, this would be good, it has a handle......"

I have a problem with keeping odd things, such as paper bags with handles, both plain (can decorate for a holiday, birthday, other gift giving occasion), and from businesses (there's nothing wrong with them, who knows when I might need a "tote" bag ), odd shaped cardboard boxes (a long/tall one holds my standing holiday figure), bubble wrap that is still good to use, and of course, the above mentioned bags. I do some scrapbooking and want to do crafts so I see "good" items with that in mind........(I could use this for "fill in the blank").

Your suggestions, whether I need to get rid of these items or ideas on what you use them for, are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 12:39 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
They look nice and valuable, but they're just plastic bags. Recycle them.

I too have a few in my closet with no intended purpose. I use a few of the really good ones for things like a down comforter and some heirloom quilts.

It's a matter of perceived value, and they really don't have any more value than tear-off shrink wrap.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:17 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
They look nice and valuable, but they're just plastic bags. Recycle them.

I too have a few in my closet with no intended purpose. I use a few of the really good ones for things like a down comforter and some heirloom quilts.

It's a matter of perceived value, and they really don't have any more value than tear-off shrink wrap.

I used to keep the lg plastic bags with zippers but no longer...trying to let go of useless items.

have not missed them.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:59 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,394 times
Everything you own, owns a part of you. I'd let them go.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:52 PM

61,681 posts, read 87,077,794 times
They are good to store warm, wool sweaters, or actually anything wool/natural fabrics that are off season. Airtight enough to protect your garments from moths, carpet beetles, silverfish and other house pests.
They are good for travel too.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:08 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,885 times
The ones for curtains and sheets I use for Christmas lights to keep the strands separated. The larger comforter type bags I keep my throw blankets in.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
I have only one, and I use it for its intended purpose, to store linens. It's the perfect place for my daughter to keep her dorm sheets, quilt, blanket, bathroom rug, towels, etc. during the summer, and keeps them neat and clean until she needs to transport them back to school in the fall.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:19 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times
I used to keep them thinking the same thing OP.

But ive recycled them now.

They sat and sat, and the only thing good for was to put used pillows in.but used pillows have little value beyond their first use. So i throw those too.

As someone upthread said, your stuff owns you. Get rid of the garbage and recycle what you can.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:10 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
I use them to store yarn.

But if you can't think of a use for them, get them out of your house, don't save them "just because". I'd donate them to a thrift store. They can often use storage items.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:21 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,010,703 times
I have three or four of them. Use for blankets or curtains till I swap out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living