Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:29 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times

Advertisements

I delayed having kids younger largely for financial reasons. We also capped our family size based on affordability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
For my brother and his wife, they always said "We are too selfish to want kids" what they meant was they wanted their money and their time for themselves. The often told us, "We will play with your kids and have the fun part and then let you pay for them and do the icky things."

They changed their minds in their mid/late 40s.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:12 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
For my brother and his wife, they always said "We are too selfish to want kids" what they meant was they wanted their money and their time for themselves. The often told us, "We will play with your kids and have the fun part and then let you pay for them and do the icky things."

They changed their minds in their mid/late 40s.
Did they have kids? Maybe there's still hope for me.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:19 AM

747 posts, read 839,074 times
Pretty sure I won't be having any kids but not due to financial reasons. I would first have to get married and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Funny thing is that only sibling does not want any and only one of my 5 first cousins is having kids.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i know one couple who doesnt have children (at least one i can think off right now). i dont think its financial reasons, i think its quality of life. my friends generally have 2 kids, a few have 3. the decision to add seems to be more quality of life than financial.

i have 2, would love to have another 1 or 2. who knows. the amount of enjoyment that my children give me cant be measured. my wife isnt up for the additional child(ren). it takes a much harder toll on her physically and mentally than me. especially since we did have a bad experience on one pregnancy.

Old 12-04-2018, 01:06 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
That would be pretty sad if your only reasoning for not wanting children is because they cost a lot.

Children are a gift and are oftentimes what you need to help make you a better person yourself.

That said, I do believe it makes total sense to make sure your financial house is in order before you start having babies. It's kind of unfair to bring a child into the world that you're solely 100% responsible for, knowing full well you can't afford to give them a solid foundation.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:59 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
we had only one child for this reason

Had no idea that the world was subsidizing kids. Cost for our health insurance, the 3 of us was the same as our neighbor with 6 kids. Sadly I didn't learn this until it was too late to have more babies.

It isn't as costly as just doubling the cost of one.

I've got news for you. It isn't the family with 6 kids that's subsidizing your kids, it's the people with no kids at all.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:39 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I've got news for you. It isn't the family with 6 kids that's subsidizing your kids, it's the people with no kids at all.
I think single people get hit the hardest.

Old 12-05-2018, 01:49 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
health insurance is an interesting example because we see how you get charged the same for a "family" plan when you have different numbers of children. i dont all the detail, but that seems to be the case. but it isnt a situation (from what i can see) where the government is taking money to redistribute in a place where people with children get the benefit. it is a private business decision. so theoretically it works out financially for the insurance company to operate this way. if so, then its not really a "world subsidy."

Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 AM

561 posts, read 324,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I know, or rather knew since they moved away, a couple. All were more focused on accumulating wealth and enhancing their portfolios. At least that's what they said.
The thing is...even if a couple chooses not to have children they usually don't broadcast the whole entire *why* they decided not to because it's no one else's business.

They may not like children but don't want to say that flat out because someone will think they're horrible.

They may be trying right up until the woman hits menopause but say they chose not to in favor of travel or lifestyle because they're sick and tired of explaining that they can't seem to do what other people do by accident.

One of the other may be the offspring of some psychotic criminal and they are not sure where to bet on the whole nature vs nurture argument.

Usually when/if people decide not to have children it's more than just one reason even if finances do play into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living