Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 07:31 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
How about “hot dog” soup... for the truly frugal.

Cut up hot dogs in pork n' beans are tasty...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 07:35 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'm reheating the broth now, added some frozen chicken pieces and more water because you've made my mouth water for chicken and dumplings. What I wouldn't give to have a brother or two here! They love chicken and dumpling soup.

Another favorite grandma made is fried pork chops/ dumplings & cut up potatoes with browned butter poured over them/ applesauce.....yum...

Old 11-15-2019, 08:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
Homemade Chicken Broth

Costco Rotisserie chickens, = 20+ servings for $4.99 (Soup included)
OP's minivan / camper may need a freezer and a small crock / insta-pot (for when 'plugged-in'). I have found city parks and fairgrounds with live outlets (while on the road), but that is an extra hassle (solar will not be dependable / wattage enough for crock-pot or freezer.).

Old 11-15-2019, 08:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,700 posts, read 58,022,681 times
recipes :
https://lexiscleankitchen.com/homemade-chicken-broth/
https://www.familyfreshmeals.com/201...ken-broth.html
Easy Homemade Chicken Broth

Ingredients:

3-4 pound chicken (organic preferred)
3-4 carrots, peeled and cut in half
2 turnips, quartered
2 celery stalks, cut in half
2 onions, quartered
1 head of garlic, halved
1 tsp. pepper corns (or cracked black pepper)
2 bay leaves
2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
I prefer:
Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...efaDdwQ8wIIpAQ

For OP (mobile based) / Bouillion cubes would be a better choice. (no refrigeration required)
Edward & Sons Bouillon Cubes, Not-Chick'n
https://www.iherb.com/pr/Edward-Sons...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 11-15-2019, 01:23 PM

7,040 posts, read 6,291,056 times
Both of those bouillon look good. Thanks for the info.

Just fyi - I'm not on the road yet. My lease expires the end of April 2020 but I am still planning on going mobile.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:42 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
And I've been doing that for a long time, buying stock. Right now I'm trying to learn how to live as minimal as I can while I prepare for a nomadic lifestyle.

This is something so basic that I simply stopped doing. I don't know why but glad I realized it.
LOL. Not sure how a “ nomadic lifestyle” would allow for making chicken broth. I would think buying a can would be far easier, cheaper, and faster.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:45 PM

7,040 posts, read 6,291,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. Not sure how a “ nomadic lifestyle” would allow for making chicken broth. I would think buying a can would be far easier, cheaper, and faster.
Lol. Your comment made me smile. I had to look up andmake sure I was in the frugal forum.

Yes, when I am on the road buying broth will be better. Right now there are many things I'm doing to try and really minimize my life. The chicken broth is part of that.

I have so much to learn about minimaling. I thought I was doing it but, every day it seems I learn something new.

Old 11-15-2019, 04:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Used to make it. Too much trouble for me now. I just buy it. Now, I will use the broth from a chicken when I am cooking chicken pieces and the recipe requires the broth. But if I am making something that simply require chicken broth as an ingredient...definitely store bought.
Adding a few raw pieces of chicken to the mix of cooked bones will improve the broth. But broth made with a cooked carcass is better than no broth.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:32 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
I LOVE homemade chicken broth, but rarely make it due to the time and effort that it takes (as compared to buying a can or box of broth). There's nothing quite like it.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:04 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,816,256 times
Quote:
I feel like an idiot because I haven't been doing it. Gads, take a girl out of Minnesota and she forgets her roots.

Lately I've gotten into baked chicken legs and thighs, and then just casually throwing away the bones. This would never have happened in Minnesota, unless of course you'd gnawed on the bones and put your germs all over them.

No, we raised chickens and used bones, skin and fat and boiled them with onions, garlic, bay leaves and various spices to make into chicken broth.

I don't know why I forgot but this week leg quarters were on sale so I bought a package. I baked two of them and upon eating one I realized what I'd been doing.

Instead of throwing the bones away, I took the edible meat off the bones, threw the bones in a large pot along with 1/2 an onion, garlic cloves, what carrots were in the refrigerator along with celery and that is now simmering. I also took the meat off the second one I had baked and added those bones.

Not only does this create a wonderful broth but the smell right now is giving me beautiful memories of home. Not that I want to go back and I doubt if I'll ever want to see snow again, but it sure brings back good memories.
I boil them with meat right on the bones. It pretty much falls off, and you can strain it and pick off the meat. When we bake a whole chicken I always make soup with the leftover carcass.

So good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living