Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 02:35 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times

Advertisements

I feel like an idiot because I haven't been doing it. Gads, take a girl out of Minnesota and she forgets her roots.

Lately I've gotten into baked chicken legs and thighs, and then just casually throwing away the bones. This would never have happened in Minnesota, unless of course you'd gnawed on the bones and put your germs all over them.

No, we raised chickens and used bones, skin and fat and boiled them with onions, garlic, bay leaves and various spices to make into chicken broth.

I don't know why I forgot but this week leg quarters were on sale so I bought a package. I baked two of them and upon eating one I realized what I'd been doing.

Instead of throwing the bones away, I took the edible meat off the bones, threw the bones in a large pot along with 1/2 an onion, garlic cloves, what carrots were in the refrigerator along with celery and that is now simmering. I also took the meat off the second one I had baked and added those bones.

Not only does this create a wonderful broth but the smell right now is giving me beautiful memories of home. Not that I want to go back and I doubt if I'll ever want to see snow again, but it sure brings back good memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 03:44 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
I remember my grandma (who lived outside Milwaukee, Wi), making delicious chicken dumpling soup. It was so good......Grandma's kitchen always smelled so good. She was always baking or cooking something good.

My beloved mom was born in a small town in Minnesota. When she was a young girl they moved to Wisconsin.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:38 PM

1,142 posts, read 578,899 times
I use the broth to cover my dog food kibble. I also save the grease to cover his food.

He likes it

Old 11-13-2019, 10:08 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
I prefer starting with raw chicken and bones, but I'll throw in some that have been baked or cooked.

Waste not, want not.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:05 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Used to make it. Too much trouble for me now. I just buy it. Now, I will use the broth from a chicken when I am cooking chicken pieces and the recipe requires the broth. But if I am making something that simply require chicken broth as an ingredient...definitely store bought.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Used to make it. Too much trouble for me now. I just buy it. Now, I will use the broth from a chicken when I am cooking chicken pieces and the recipe requires the broth. But if I am making something that simply require chicken broth as an ingredient...definitely store bought.
And I've been doing that for a long time, buying stock. Right now I'm trying to learn how to live as minimal as I can while I prepare for a nomadic lifestyle.

This is something so basic that I simply stopped doing. I don't know why but glad I realized it.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
I use the broth to cover my dog food kibble. I also save the grease to cover his food.

He likes it
This is so good for him too. You're probably helping keep him healthy by doing this.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:29 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,961,718 times
How about “hot dog” soup... for the truly frugal.

Old 11-14-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I remember my grandma (who lived outside Milwaukee, Wi), making delicious chicken dumpling soup. It was so good......Grandma's kitchen always smelled so good. She was always baking or cooking something good.

My beloved mom was born in a small town in Minnesota. When she was a young girl they moved to Wisconsin.
I'm reheating the broth now, added some frozen chicken pieces and more water because you've made my mouth water for chicken and dumplings. What I wouldn't give to have a brother or two here! They love chicken and dumpling soup.

Old 11-14-2019, 06:14 PM

1,142 posts, read 578,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
This is so good for him too. You're probably helping keep him healthy by doing this.
Thanks good to know.

He's on a half kibble /half homemade dog food diet (which homemade is mostly meat & egg but also green beans, sweet potato, & cottage cheese)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living