Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 07:39 AM

4,177 posts, read 3,101,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Let's say that the single man and the single woman in question live in the same city doing the same job earning the same salary. Neither of them have any family they can stay with. Both are trying to live as cheaply as they can. The woman doesn't wear makeup, no jewelry, never does her hair, and buys clothes at Walmart. Hates fashion and accessories. The man also hates fashion and is fine not owning a car, fine with just biking and taking the subway and bus.

Both the man and the woman are healthy, no medical conditions.

The woman is 5' 4''. The man is 6' 1''. Both exercise the same amount, same kind of exercise.

Both the man and the woman are into relatively healthy, but not vegan or vegetarian, eating. They eat the same cuisine and cook mostly at home. Although the man will naturally eat more meat because men need more protein, and he's nine inches taller.

And let's not include weddings in the discussion. Then it would obviously make being a woman more expensive.

I'm willing to bet that while the man saves money by not having to buy feminine products (although let's say he is clean shaven), the savings from not buying feminine hygiene products is far offset by his much bigger appetite, which is because he's going to need a lot more calories and protein because he is nine inches taller than the woman, and because men need more protein, even at the same height, as women. And protein rich food costs more than veggies.
To be fair though, while the average American woman is 5' 4", the average American man is 5' 9". Even if the man and woman are the same height, the man would tend to have a higher metabolism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2020, 07:52 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,915,770 times
I suspect that women spend more on vehicles because of lower risk tolerance. There are more safety concerns if a woman driving a car alone has a breakdown, especially at night, than if a man does. So more likely to buy something still under warranty and less likely to go the string of junkers route.

I'm talking median vehicle costs- the 'car guys' are outliers in the population as a whole.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:36 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,127,025 times
What exactly is the point of this thread?

A man can't live too cheaply since he needs to eat a lot of protein?? LOL.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:44 AM

37,739 posts, read 46,199,244 times
Quote:
My mom says women's clothing is cheaper.
Your mom?? LOL. How old are you?

Old 07-22-2020, 02:26 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,987,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Many men eat once a day

Yea right, I'm dating an "Amazon" right now, LOL. She needs calories.

"Women don't have to wear makeup, jewelry, or get a fancy hairdo", in 2020? This isn't a thing anymore.

It will come on the backend.
Many men eat once a day? So men eat less compared to women? No man I know eats just once a day. Skipping breakfast because they woke up late, sure. Eating less than women of the same or lesser height, no way.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
To be fair though, while the average American woman is 5' 4", the average American man is 5' 9". Even if the man and woman are the same height, the man would tend to have a higher metabolism.
A higher metabolism would make you more hungry, not less hungry, right?

Old 07-22-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rya96797 View Post
hmm... interesting hypothetical.

To be a fair comparison, you would have to use the "average man" versus the "average woman". If not, the debate can degrade down to what sex can panhandle and dumpster dive better.

No, the point of this thread is stretching how frugal a man or woman can be. This forum is about frugal living, not the spending habits of an average Joe or average Jane, who tend not to be frugal. We all know that dumpster diving and panhandling are ridiculous and out of the discussion anyways. .

-----------
Despite what people are saying here, men and women earn about the same given same career and job experience. The so called wage gap is due to differences in hours worked, career choices, and time taken off for pregnancy, etc.
Thank you. This is the truth. Also, my thread assumes that the man and woman being compared are working in the same city, same job, same salary, same company.

The average woman will spend more on their beauty and clothing routine than a man. Average man likely doesn't care as much.
But what about the frugal woman? These days there's workplaces where even the women are wearing T shirts, jeans, and tennis shoes everyday.
Men do eat more, probably drink more too.

A single woman might be more inclined towards eating at fancy restaurants with friends than a single man.

A single man spends more on dating most likely unless all the single women he finds wants to go dutch.

Women do tend to go to the doctor regularly, feminine reasons and otherwise, pretty good about preventative healthcare. Many men avoid going to the doctor unless they're pretty much dying, which might be more expensive in the long run.
That's not true. Men are more diligent about their health than your think.

Just some examples off the top of my head. I did try to be fair.
My replies in bold.

Old 07-22-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
WTF did I just read. Is this for real?

Considering there are careers and employers where women are absolutely expected to have their hair done, wear makeup, etc., sounds like the OP is pretty clueless.

Not to mention, there are going to be all of those no-makeup, no-nails, simple-hair, Walmart-clothed women walking around with men making disparaging remarks about how they're frumpy and "let themselves go" and "don't make an effort." LOL.
My buddy works as a software engineer. He never had to dress up, even for interviews. Always was just T shirt or polo shirt and jeans. Dress code in lots of these tech companies is very casual, even the women could wear T shirts, tennis shoes, and jeans from Walmart everyday and no one would care. They could come in everyday, without any makeup, no nails, simple hair, and no one would care.

I wouldn't say these women are frumpy. A frumpy woman would be one who is obese and doesn't shower, basically has even lower hygiene and health standards than me, as a man.

Sure, they'd probably have a couple dresses and skirts for when it's ultra hot outside and for weddings and funerals, but that's it. And men would still need a suit and a tuxedo for weddings and funerals, tuxedos are very expensive.

Someone said women have to shave more of their bodies. Not always true. They only have to shave their armpits if they're wearing tank tops. Lots of women wear sleeved shirts everyday and don't have to shave their armpits.

If women are wearing ankle length pants, they don't have to shave their legs. If they wear skirts, they could wear leggings or tights underneath. Can't tell you haven't shaved your legs if you are wearing long leggings under your skirt.

Most women I know almost always wear long pants. I also see a lot of women wearing leggings under skirts or dresses.

Old 07-22-2020, 03:31 PM

6,497 posts, read 4,032,282 times
This whole discussion is just straight-up bizarre. OP, why exactly are you so concerned about this?

Old 07-22-2020, 04:10 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,781,412 times
Quote:
I am a guy, and I'll say single women can live more cheaply.

Men are going to need a lot more food. A lot of extra protein and meat. More food means more money, and meat tends to be more expensive. Some states still tax groceries!

Car insurance for men is higher, too.

Men's clothes are also more expensive.

Not only do women eat less and thus save more, their car insurance and clothes are cheaper. Women don't have to wear makeup, jewelry, or get any fancy hairdo. If they buy their clothes from Walmart and aren't into fashion then they can live very cheaply.

I say single men vs single women, because of course Weddings will cost half a years salary and women's families are responsible for the costs.
That hot humid weather in Oklahoma did something to your brain. Turn on your air conditioner.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/okla...re-summer.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living