Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 07:39 PM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times

Advertisements

Our local paper combined Sat & Sun into one paper that includes some coupons.

The local grocery store used to have a decent mobile app that one can click an item and it would link to our store card but after so many app updates, it has made it almost a pita to use like we would like to. It went from a 4 star rating down to a 2.

Bed, Bath & Beyond has their coupons that I can claim off from emails/messages, and the occasional paper coupons that I can find in various magazines.

Pet related (we have 2 dogs) at PetSmart: I use their mobile app to play Treat Trail. Have been awarded 10 - 20, even 25% off an item. We also used to get monthly points added but think that has been cancelled since the Covid-19 hit.

Other stores like Ulta have a QR code in emails. I've used that a few times. I'm sure there's others that come to us in emails but that's all I can think of at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 06:09 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
We buy very little groceries you find coupons for. Similar with beauty and pet products.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:48 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
I used to get very good deals on motel-rooms with online-coupons........much of that, for one reason or another, has seriously dried-up.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:54 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I am pretty shocked (annoyed and ticked actually) that companies have decided (for the most part) to stop inserting coupons in our Sunday papers! Do they not realize that prices have gone up like crazy for many things, stores aren't having the sales that they used to, many people have a seriously reduced or non-existent income now? Do they not care that their products won't sell as much?

Personally, when having to watch money first things to go are "better/name brands" of products, etc. - seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot/bottom line.
P&G among others have websites where you can find all sorts of coupons and promotions.

Companies have stopped issuing paper coupons for several reasons; fraud, cost, abuse, and fact sales of printed media (especially newspapers) has declined dramatically over past few decades.

Thousands of those printed coupons were trashed with newspapers or other printed matter that was never sold. This and or those who purchased said printed matter didn't bother redeeming. That is all just money down the drain in times when advertising budgets are tight.

Moving things online ticks many boxes.

First company can gather vast amounts of personal information about who registers for, downloads, looks at or whatever these coupons/promotions.

Two, it transfers costs of printing to consumer instead of company paying for something that might never be used.

Three, companies can tie in rewards, bonuses and other promotions to their website giving more incentive for people to download coupons, and or at least visit site often.

https://www.pggoodeveryday.com/coupons/

Print media in various forms is dying a slow but certain death. Once last of the boomers are gone (the last population to have grown up with mostly printed media), things will only get worse as younger generation are all about their computers, phones, apps, etc....

Old 10-14-2020, 01:19 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
So the people who need them/take advantage of them for financial reasons (and can't afford a smartphone!) - are screwed. And there are actually coupons that came in handy (USED to get for $ off produce, meat, etc.), skin care products, cleaning products, etc.

Old 10-14-2020, 06:37 PM

89 posts, read 61,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
So the people who need them/take advantage of them for financial reasons (and can't afford a smartphone!) - are screwed. And there are actually coupons that came in handy (USED to get for $ off produce, meat, etc.), skin care products, cleaning products, etc.
Yes those who are dirt poor who cannot afford a smart phone cannot even go to the recycle bin to obtain as many free coupons as possible to use. Ask me how i know Back in the day, I could cut out many free trial sizes and have shampoo, conditioner, hot sauce, a candy bar here and there, all kinds of items in multiples which would last us a long time. I'd keep going in and out to different cashiers.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:29 AM

11,769 posts, read 5,783,856 times
I've couponed for the last 42 yrs. Couponing and rebates helped us make it paycheck to paycheck back when the kids were young. For the past 3 yrs - we haven't even bought a paper because just the Sunday paper costs $4 and I found few coupons that I could actually use.

Now many places have digital coupons and being tech challenged that presents another set of problems but I'm learning. I have found I can do most of my shopping at the Dollar Store, Price-Rite and Aldi's - only visiting a "regional" grocery store for a few sale items. I've been able to buy Brand names for pennies on the dollar using digital coupons at Dollar General where they give you an extra $5 off $25 on Saturdays that will stack ith the other coupons.

I watch a lot of youtube vlogs where people break down the best deals each week at the Dollar General, Walgreen's and the other stores to get more bang for my buck.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:31 AM

106,593 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Does anyone actually buy a Sunday paper any more?
i haven't looked at one in more than 20 years

Old 10-15-2020, 04:42 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
We buy very little groceries you find coupons for. Similar with beauty and pet products.
I have to agree. Most store coupons are for stuff I never buy - soda, chips and other highly processed junk.

Old 10-15-2020, 04:50 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i haven't looked at one in more than 20 years
Right! Why buy if you can read online, free
United States Newspapers & News Media - ABYZ News Links

More coupons online:
www.Thekrazycouponlady.com
For meds:
www.Goodrx.com
Restaurants
www.Restaurants.com
And few more:
https://millennialmoney.com/best-coupon-sites/

Last edited by elnina; 10-15-2020 at 05:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living