Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 08:12 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times

Advertisements

When we had a house, we had duplicates of a lot of things. Two washers, two microwaves, two blenders.. Very rarely needed the second one. After a while the extra space becomes more valuable than any potential savings down the road.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:24 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
how old are the monitors and tvs? they could be basically worthless. if they're not they will be if you hold on to them long enough so sell them while you can.
Or maybe you don't need to sell them--with the number of students doing their schooling at home, a lot of people need technology and accessories and might not be able to afford them. You could look into options for donating these to needy schools or organizations, and get a tax write off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 01:00 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
Has anyone ever had issues with being too frugal, perhaps to the point of being a pack rat?

After a recent death in my family, I realize I need to be getting rid of stuff I don't use and never will use. I am feeling so overwhelmed. I realize that part of my issue is that I have OCD and have sentimental value tied to many things. So that's something I'm working on.

But then there are things that I acquired for free and am storing for when I need them later. A few examples are LCD computer monitors, TVs, headphones, and printer paper. Those things take up space, especially the monitors and TVs as they need to be stored on the floor. I figure I have between $700-$1200 worth of spare computer monitors and TVs. I'd be pretty stupid to throw those out.

So how do you deal with having stuff like that? I'm certainly not a hoarder, but I do have a lot of stuff. I prefer to donate things rather than trash them, but so many places are restricting what they take, even before COVID. I'm too shy to use something like Craigslist, and I refuse to use eBay to sell things.
Practically speaking, how long do computer monitors last? I have an LCD monitor that I use every day for work that I acquired for $5 used on FB marketplace. I do not know how old it is but I've been using it for six years. Keep one in reserve, if you have the space for it in a closet on a shelf.

TV's? They're inexpensive now; Costco recently sold an equivalent TV to my own for 1/2 what I paid five or six years ago. Again, put one in each bedroom on a dresser and give the rest away.

I'm sure Salvation Army and Goodwill are still accepting donations.

Old 10-24-2020, 07:06 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I'm sort of like the OP. I say I'm a "pack rat." I do not and will not use or accept the term hoarder to refer to me. If others think that put me in denial, so be it. I'm sort of a cross between a prepare and a pack rat. For example I stay stocked up on TP, PT, tooth paste, trash bags, and other no-perishables. I catch a big sale and buy 2-3 years worth. Does that make me a hoarder? All I know is I wasn't running around trying to find TP six months ago.

SOME things I have and I will eventually use and get though -- like the boxes and boxes of cleaning supplies or yard fertilizer/weed killer/Critter Ridder types items. AND like the 200 light bulbs I have. YEARS ago when there was talk of not being able to get incandescent light bulbs I bought two contractor cases from a big box store. And I STILL have 200 left. Eventually, (if I live long enough, which of course, I hope to do) I will get through them all. They're already paid for. To me it makes no sense to sell them or give them away.

In my case I have stockpiles of certain things. I had a house and then moved back to my parent's house. So I have multiples of LOTS of things: Tools, cleaning supplies, laundry baskets, trash cans. You name it and I may have more than one. However, I did NOT bring furniture, kitchen utensils, dishwater, and other things with me.

I am one person in a 3BR house, and I will readily admit I have too much of everything in here......from books, to clothing, to kitchen food storage containers

I also have boxes (and boxes) that I moved back with me, that I haven't opened since the move. I likely one day will go through those boxes. But, those boxes aren't bothering me. They're stored in the garage. And I don't have a need to go through them right now. If I did, I would.

Procrastination? Sure. But so what? If I get to it, I get to it. If I don't, I don't.

OP, clearly the amount of items you have is bothering you. THAT is the key, IMO. Maybe even the WHY it's bothering you -- not enough space, feeling claustrophobic, visual clutter just "bothering you" -- is not so important as to the fact that it does bother you for whatever reason.

Once a person decides or realizes they are bothered by the amount of items, THEN, it's just a matter of working up emotionally and psychologically to making the decision to let go. THAT process -- the deciding to let go is the first step. THEN, comes deciding WHAT to let go OF.

OP, I know someone personally who has started to go through, sort, and down size/eliminate her possessions -- "hoard" if you will. She's having some success. A friend is going over there to help her. They do it together, work on it together. Do you have someone who can help you? Help you sort? Give you personal encouragement?

A big part of the reason I haven't sorted and down sized hat I have, is I don't want to do it myself. I't's not that I'm afraid to, or not ready to, or can't do it emotionally......I just want the company of having a friend come over and we'll talk and chat and I 'll have two extra hands to make the chore go faster. A friend did come over and help me get rid of my mom's clothing (she's deceased) -- and that was actually a nice visit. And we were going to do that at least a couple of more times...then CORONA hit!

OP, also don't think you HAVE to think "all or nothing." What about getting rid of 1/4, or 1/3, or 1/2 of what ever items you have in a given category. Everything downsize is progress!

Because I relate so much to your situation. PLEASE keep us posted on your progress! GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by selhars; 10-24-2020 at 07:15 AM..

Old 10-29-2020, 04:09 AM

497 posts, read 422,529 times
I personally find it easy to get rid of stuff compared to my husband. I think about my goals and more simple things to live long term at old age.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:43 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I try to take a box or bag of things to a donation center every month. Sometimes it's clothing, sometimes it household items, books, etc. When I get a new thing I get rid of the old thing. I know the feeling of wanting to have "backups" of things, especially if something is free, but now I only do that for specific items. If I can easily replace something I won't keep extras around as an extra unless it's something I love and replace frequently, is no longer made or hard to come by for example.

My house is full of things and frankly I'd rather have more open space and empty closets. Some of my things haven't been seen or touched in years so why have them?

Old 10-30-2020, 07:30 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times
If I haven't used or worn something in a year I typically give it to goodwill. Not always thought this way but I am sick of STUFF of CLOTHES, ugh. Just want to travel lighter in retirement.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:55 AM

17,300 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
Has anyone ever had issues with being too frugal, perhaps to the point of being a pack rat?

After a recent death in my family, I realize I need to be getting rid of stuff I don't use and never will use. I am feeling so overwhelmed. I realize that part of my issue is that I have OCD and have sentimental value tied to many things. So that's something I'm working on.

But then there are things that I acquired for free and am storing for when I need them later. A few examples are LCD computer monitors, TVs, headphones, and printer paper. Those things take up space, especially the monitors and TVs as they need to be stored on the floor. I figure I have between $700-$1200 worth of spare computer monitors and TVs. I'd be pretty stupid to throw those out.

So how do you deal with having stuff like that? I'm certainly not a hoarder, but I do have a lot of stuff. I prefer to donate things rather than trash them, but so many places are restricting what they take, even before COVID. I'm too shy to use something like Craigslist, and I refuse to use eBay to sell things.
Please look up the current values of these TVs, monitors/headphones, paper............I'd bet you can replace things significantly cheaper than they were valued at when you started collecting them. You are also combining the values ($700-1200) but keep in mind you probably won't need to have multiples of them AND they probably all won't go bad, meaning you won't ever need them in the first place

Old 10-31-2020, 05:07 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
12 month rule:

If you haven't used it in 12 months, get rid of it.

'Nuff said.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:20 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'm sort of like the OP. I say I'm a "pack rat." I do not and will not use or accept the term hoarder to refer to me. If others think that put me in denial, so be it. I'm sort of a cross between a prepare and a pack rat. For example I stay stocked up on TP, PT, tooth paste, trash bags, and other no-perishables. I catch a big sale and buy 2-3 years worth. Does that make me a hoarder? All I know is I wasn't running around trying to find TP six months ago.
No, it doesn't make you a hoarder. It's all stuff you're using right now and will eventually use up. You're not emotionally attached to it.

Quote:
SOME things I have and I will eventually use and get though -- like the boxes and boxes of cleaning supplies or yard fertilizer/weed killer/Critter Ridder types items. AND like the 200 light bulbs I have. YEARS ago when there was talk of not being able to get incandescent light bulbs I bought two contractor cases from a big box store. And I STILL have 200 left. Eventually, (if I live long enough, which of course, I hope to do) I will get through them all. They're already paid for. To me it makes no sense to sell them or give them away.
Quote:
I think the lightbulb purchase was overkill, but you will use them up at some point, although it make take you the rest of your life, lol.

I am one person in a 3BR house, and I will readily admit I have too much of everything in here......from books, to clothing, to kitchen food storage containers
If you're admitting you need to get rid of stuff, you're probably not a hoarder.

Quote:
OP, also don't think you HAVE to think "all or nothing." What about getting rid of 1/4, or 1/3, or 1/2 of what ever items you have in a given category. Everything downsize is progress!
Good point. The process of decluttering almost never happens all at once. It usually takes 3-4 rounds of getting rid of stuff before you're fully decluttered--it not more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living