Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 08:26 PM

91 posts, read 677,173 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had issues with being too frugal, perhaps to the point of being a pack rat?

After a recent death in my family, I realize I need to be getting rid of stuff I don't use and never will use. I am feeling so overwhelmed. I realize that part of my issue is that I have OCD and have sentimental value tied to many things. So that's something I'm working on.

But then there are things that I acquired for free and am storing for when I need them later. A few examples are LCD computer monitors, TVs, headphones, and printer paper. Those things take up space, especially the monitors and TVs as they need to be stored on the floor. I figure I have between $700-$1200 worth of spare computer monitors and TVs. I'd be pretty stupid to throw those out.

So how do you deal with having stuff like that? I'm certainly not a hoarder, but I do have a lot of stuff. I prefer to donate things rather than trash them, but so many places are restricting what they take, even before COVID. I'm too shy to use something like Craigslist, and I refuse to use eBay to sell things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 08:47 PM

32,770 posts, read 48,516,950 times
Donate to a worthy charity thrift store. Then the good stuff gets put to good use. You don't have to throw it away.

If it is useful stuff someone will take it. try some local charities: the local humane society, the battered woman's shelter, computer stuff might go to a youth after school program.

If all else fails, put it by the curb with a free sign. Someone will take it.

Old 10-12-2020, 11:04 PM

20,924 posts, read 4,601,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post
I'm too shy to use something like Craigslist, and I refuse to use eBay to sell things.
Try Etsy, their are people selling older computers, parts, accessories. So far I've had better dealings through Etsy over 2-4 yrs using it.

Compared to over 10+ years at Ebay.

Local charities, churches can always use extra computer supplies. If not, just recycle or up cycle them.

Old 10-13-2020, 06:07 AM

24,898 posts, read 11,330,959 times
Why do TVs and monitors need to be stored on the floor?

Just get rid of stuff. A box a day to the curb with a note "free".

Old 10-16-2020, 07:23 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,462,856 times
I'd see if a used electronics store in your area would buy your monitors and other equipment. Of course, you'd be selling them at a steep discount from retail. If you have enough stuff, you might even call an estate sale company.

Being frugal might mean getting a bargain on a TV or monitor you have an immediate use for. Acquiring a bunch of them, even for free, is just...well, acquiring a bunch of stuff.

Old 10-17-2020, 03:17 PM

3,367 posts, read 1,261,673 times
how old are the monitors and tvs? they could be basically worthless. if they're not they will be if you hold on to them long enough so sell them while you can.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:19 PM

33,049 posts, read 36,676,216 times
If you have to pay to get rid of this stuff or pack and move it, you'll begin to hate it.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:53 PM

21,010 posts, read 28,622,370 times
depending how much stuff you have, I would say this person may have hoarding tendencies but not full blown hoarding.

Old 10-20-2020, 08:05 AM

22,458 posts, read 29,644,267 times
I would recommend you seek some kind of therapy. You are a classic hoarder and you being in denial about it just proves it

Old 10-22-2020, 08:09 AM

871 posts, read 2,119,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle View Post

But then there are things that I acquired for free and am storing for when I need them later. A few examples are LCD computer monitors, TVs, headphones, and printer paper. Those things take up space, especially the monitors and TVs as they need to be stored on the floor. I figure I have between $700-$1200 worth of spare computer monitors and TVs. I'd be pretty stupid to throw those out.
The part in bold is where I see the contradiction. You mention multiple LCD monitors and TVs. How many monitors and TVs do you have and use? How often does one break down/wear out and need to be replaced? If you're only replacing one or two monitors every 10 years and you have 5 monitors, you are hoarding. Given that you're able to find them for free, just keep one back-up and then look for another once the back-up is being used. If the free TVs are in reality broken or pieces of junk, then you're simply holding on to junk. You aren't going to patch together the components of multiple flat-screen TVs to create a working TV.

In terms of value, equipment is only worth $700-$1200 if someone will actually pay you that much for it. In reality, it's probably worth less, especially once you figure out commissions and shipping.

Finally, the harsh truth, which my parents and many of the remaining elderly relatives are figuring out, is that there are two ways of dealing with a house full of stuff. Take care of it while you're here, and help explain why things you keep are being kept, or whoever comes through after you're gone will likely be using a dumpster.

As someone who also has way too much stuff, I do sympathize. However, once I get rid of something I don't use or need, I never think about it. I only thought about it previously when I found it while looking for something else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living