Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 06:54 PM

226 posts, read 158,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
but no definite deal to purchase has been made,

No Contract has been made.

$$$ TALKS

BS WALKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2021, 08:18 PM

430 posts, read 556,847 times
Just put "no holds" or something similar in the listing.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:25 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I don't know if this really fits in this category, so Mods feel free to move this if you don't think it belongs here. I know that frugal living folks do a lot of buying, selling, and bartering for used items so I figured this was the best sub-forum.

I have a disagreement regarding the etiquette of buying/selling used items online, or even from an ad in a newspaper or flyer.

If I am selling an object, and place an ad, when someone calls and requests to come and "look at the item" at a later time (maybe 8 hours later, or the next morning), but no definite deal to purchase has been made, am I obligated to NOT sell that item if someone else can come earlier and wishes to purchase it? In other words, should I hold it, and possibly turn away other callers, until the first caller can come see it? Do I need to NOT show it to anyone else, or make a deal, until the first caller has an opportunity to see it and decide if they want it or not? Or is it that the first person who can show up with money in hand can take it away, as long as I notify the first caller about the sale before they come over?
Shadow: it really depends on what "contract" is agreed upon.

Im selling off stuff that hasn't seen the light of day or hasn't been or isn't of any value to us anymore.

In no particular order:

In my Craigslist ads, if I'm NOT willing to play the "can I see it later" game, I say either "First come, first served" or "no holds".

Since I work and have certain hours I'm willing to meet/sell...I specify in the ad the hours I'm willing to meet.

I specify in the ad a location in a big (often empty) parking lot in front of a specific business in a stripmall. That is for lightweight items. This is for safety:a) they won't know where I live, b) it's a public place, c) half the parking lot is empty, so it's easy to find each other when meeting.

If it's heavy, I DO NOT give out my address UNTIL and UNLESS they confirm right before they are willing to come to my house, and at a time I know I will be home. This is also for safety. They won't (hopefully) come, scope it out and break in to get the item, and I try to be sure there is another person there with me.

A "verify you are real 'Code'" request.. using your smart phone number or email address, they can try to log into your Gmail (or apple mail?) Account. When your smart phone was set up, you should have it set to send you a code number IF you forget your Gmail password. That goes ONLY to your phone. But if you give out that code number, they will HAVE ACCESS to your account and phone, and may be able to gain access to any credit card info or banking info you have attached.
For that reason, NEVER AGREE TO OR GIVE OUT THAT CODE NUMBER!!
REPORT that request as spam, and google or apple should look into it. They know what it is and can hopefully catch the bad guys.

I spell out in my ad in caps "I WILL NOT ANSWER UNKNOWN NUMBERS!" And state Communication MUST be either TEXT message or email message through Craigslist.
If someone ignores that and leaves a voicemail, unless I really want to get rid of it then, I WON'T reply via voice. Thats to avoid having to try to figure out where they are, a major landmark they might know or a way to get to my house via voice on phone. If they email, they can look up the address on mapquest or Google maps and figure it out just from my address.

I REFUSE TO do business by voice on phone only.

In short..SPELL out your requirement for selling in the ad, or upon FIRST contact. Try to get it in writing...the time, day and confirm sales price IN WRITING.
that way they can't arrive to get your $50 item and say "well you agreed verbally on the phone to $30, remember"? And try to snow you or cheat you. IF you have agreed to lower price, you can check your email or text message or message through the listing agency to show the agreed IN WRITING price.

I also buy stuff too, that will be very much useable to me, and reverse the practice when I buy.

*Other arrangements can always be agreed upon, of course.

One last thing.. I ALWAYS put tte words "CASH ONLY, PRICE FIRM, ALL SALES FINAL" in my ad.

Again, I male sure everything is spelled out in writing.

MOST local people are Fairly honest, I don't do shipping on ebay.

Best to you...

Old 04-12-2021, 01:19 AM

808 posts, read 540,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It's also a good idea to meet in a public place.
I purchased my van this way. The seller brought the van to an agreed-upon, very public spot, I checked it over, and made an offer. We both went away. Later he called and accepted my offer. I met him again, in another very public spot, we filled out the paperwork, and I handed him cash.

I buy stuff on Craigslist, including two cars, and I would never buy from someone who won't let me know where they live. If I call someone, and they want to meet me at a mall, I just hang up and go on to another one.

At first, I was willing to do that, but I got definite creepy vibes from them, and realized that there was probably a good reason to not let me know where they lived. I suspected them of selling bad merchandise. Two were cars, one was a digital camera.

Old 04-12-2021, 06:50 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,559,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post
I buy stuff on Craigslist, including two cars, and I would never buy from someone who won't let me know where they live. If I call someone, and they want to meet me at a mall, I just hang up and go on to another one.

At first, I was willing to do that, but I got definite creepy vibes from them, and realized that there was probably a good reason to not let me know where they lived. I suspected them of selling bad merchandise. Two were cars, one was a digital camera.
And I'm the opposite.

Save very large items that won't fit into my car, my meet up places for when I'm selling are either a McDonald's that's on a main drag not far from my home or the parking lot at the local police station. The meetup location is listed prominently in my listings, so no one is surprised when I won't meet up at my house (or deliver to theirs). There have been a few times when a potential buyer lives a distance from my house, but since I'll be in their general area due to work, I've agreed to meet them at a public location near where they live. (Grocery store/McDonald's parking lots, i.e., places that tend to have a lot of foot traffic and "eyes" in the lots.)

For larger items, I make sure that there's at least one other person present at my house when a potential buyer comes to look at them. Most people are trustworthy, but I'd rather not become a statistic if I can avoid doing so by using reasonable caution.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:14 AM

942 posts, read 391,390 times
We sell a fair amount on Marketplace. Mostly small items $5-$10 and do only Porch Pick Up. If someone wants to come tomorrow ...... I ask them to let me know when they are ready to come and then I will send address. I always want to know an approx time they will arrive and we are always home at the time. We will hold an item when asked but normally let people know it's first come. Depends on the "story" the buyer is telling. I prefer people coming to the house and having them just place cash between the doors and taking their item. No interaction whatsoever. Too many No Shows to try and meet at a public space for smaller items......even larger items, too many NO SHOWS. When we buy...... I arrange a time to arrive and then show up at that time. I also view the profiles of potential buyers and have at times declined to interact based on what is visible on their profile. I'm sure I'll get some grief on here for "profiling"......LOL

Old 04-13-2021, 07:25 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretBartle View Post

Wow. That's crazy. People have been MURDERED by strangers that came over to buy something at their homes. I cant believe you are this naïve.

Old 04-13-2021, 09:10 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,741,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Wow. That's crazy. People have been MURDERED by strangers that came over to buy something at their homes. I cant believe you are this naïve.
Me either.

Old 04-14-2021, 03:47 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have done it all ways. At my home, at my work place, at the sellers home, and I have met people at third locations. I probably prefer the meet buyers or sellers at a neutral location, but I have never been murdered by a buyer coming to my home, obviously. The worst thing I had happened was a guy who wanted to get his money back on a computer monitor that I had sold as is, and had let him see the condition before he bought it. I didn't feel like I really owed him his money back, but since he knew where I lived I thought it best to just give him his money back anyway. If I had sold it at another location, I would have probably just ignored his request to return it.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:31 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I have done it all ways. At my home, at my work place, at the sellers home, and I have met people at third locations. I probably prefer the meet buyers or sellers at a neutral location, but I have never been murdered by a buyer coming to my home, obviously. The worst thing I had happened was a guy who wanted to get his money back on a computer monitor that I had sold as is, and had let him see the condition before he bought it. I didn't feel like I really owed him his money back, but since he knew where I lived I thought it best to just give him his money back anyway. If I had sold it at another location, I would have probably just ignored his request to return it.
LOTS of people have had no issues. Duh. But you ARE taking a risk by allowing a stranger into your home if you are there alone. Frankly I really don't care, that is YOUR choice. But for other people to say "I won't sell/buy to/from anyone that won't tell me where they live", well that is one of the most ridiculous head-in-the-sand comments I have read here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living