Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 05:53 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Hey how goes it!

So trying to be frugal save money. Currently three adults, 1 baby, 2 dogs, and a cat.

We just spent $240 on groceries. We have been running low on supplies and trying different approach with shopping.

Begining of the month we get bulk items like cleaning supplies and non-perishables.

Then every other month we pick up pet supplies.

Then every week we pick up meat. We have enough for 10 to 12 days of meals. Then add in a pasta day so about 13 days of meals already in the fridge.

Normally every week pick up meat and deli items that bring us to about $30.

Then baby supplies is about $60 a month.

Overall we spend about $460 to $500 a month on groceries.

Think it's doable to go less than that? On average how much is your grocery bill?
You won't get an accurate answer.

It will depend on what stores are in your area, what produce is locally available or what has to be imported/shipped to your area, and where/what city state you reside in.

Recently food prices HAVE gone up.

I separate FOOD from HOUSEHOLD SUPPLIES.

FOOD: there are only two major grocery stores here, and they are EXPENSE. My other half works in one.. sure we get a 10% discount, but ONLY on the store brand packaged food. The other grocery store will have occasional"buy 2 get 1 free" sales, so the AVERAGE cost of all the items is decent, but sometimes, do you really need 3 of something for two people?

There is also a Walmart where I work, I do get a discount...but only on fresh produce, all other food is the regular discount price.

There is also a Aldi here (Trader Joe equivalent in other areas) with comparable prices to Walmart.

I mostly shop my store and Aldi.

We don't eat crappy prepackaged stuff much any more, as I turned diabetic and lost a whopping 140#, only by changing WHAT I eat, HOW MUCH I eat and WHEN I eat. It took 2 years, only about a pound or pound and half a week, but I did it.

I have a regular freezer, but I'll buy a left over rotisserie chicken from my store on Monday morning for a discount price and freeze them. The discount varies, so if $2.50, I'll buy two or 3.

I shop only once a week, buy fresh salad mixed for a meal or side for under $3/bag. That should give you 3 adult sides.

I buy raw chicken and freeze it by making quick snack heat and eat fingers at home, but that will take more time. The more processed the chicken is, the more expensive it is. So buying precut fingers is out, I buy the skin on split breasts, skin and De-bone (easy), mix with egg, flour and bread crumbs and bake, they put tray in freezer so they don't freeze together, and bag for frozen.

I buy salmon at reasonable price, and pick a piece I can get at least 2 2 portion meals out of a $6 slab.

Here's a diet plan:
Meat serving should be about the size of a deck of cards, Half a plate of veggies, and if you must, no more than 2 table spoons of a starch..and wild long grain rice is preferred over pastas (rice takes 45 mins to cook, I make large batch, freeze for later quick portions.

Oatmeal IS a carb, but it's also a grain, steel cut oats the best, but rolled old fashioned is decent. 1/2 measuring cup, water a min in micro, and I add chocolate and coconut milk for flavor (dark chocolate chips healthier than milk/sugar Choco chips)

Buy the moderate priced pet food, portion out. I think 2 dogs and a cat us2 pets too many, at least one too many.

Baby...well you've committed to a 20 year deal at least. If a boy, if you think your food bill is high now, wait til puberty hits! Even teen girls can be expensive.

Cleaning supplies.. examine what you are buying. Paper towels? Get several 2-for microfiber cloths at the dollar store and launder as used. Use paper towels sparingly for only nasty messes that might ruin the cloths.

TP...well I use it sparingly, but my other half thinks it grows on trees...the 1000 sheet rolls are best bet.

Do you need 6 different cleaning supplies? Look for one that may "do it all", or use vinegar as a cleaning agent.

Laundry...we only use "free and clear" as we both have sensitive skin. That CAN be expensive, but I get the Arm&hammer or ALL in big jugs that are cheaper. We don't soil clothes that much, but fir stains I get an oxy-clean spray bottle at the dollar tree that does the job. You really only need HALF the suggested laundry cup to clean clothes, and only HALF a dryer sheets for a normal load. Cuts costs drastically. (Look it up..I think consumer reports did tests..HALF is enough. I buy free and clear store or generic dryer sheets, which gave a convenient tear strip half built in.

Best to you.

Shop carefully. Fresh fruits and veggies aren't that expensive compared to a bunch of "convenience packages".

Make a big crock pot of veggie soup..cabbage, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, julienned carrots, etc, 1 of large and one regular carton of broth and simmer all day...will be healthy, and will provide several days of hot meals for the 3 of you, and is easy for quick snack!!

Best.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 06:09 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
My husband sent this to me this morning regarding the average grocery bill. https://clark.com/shopping-retail/av...62c6e-71455749

I've seen several threads where it might be applicable so thought I would share it here.
Interesting. One red bell pepper was 1.98 yesterday. That is over 1% of my budget here. It would be nice to see what these penny wizards eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living