Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 12:36 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times

Advertisements

Hey how goes it!

So trying to be frugal save money. Currently three adults, 1 baby, 2 dogs, and a cat.

We just spent $240 on groceries. We have been running low on supplies and trying different approach with shopping.

Begining of the month we get bulk items like cleaning supplies and non-perishables.

Then every other month we pick up pet supplies.

Then every week we pick up meat. We have enough for 10 to 12 days of meals. Then add in a pasta day so about 13 days of meals already in the fridge.

Normally every week pick up meat and deli items that bring us to about $30.

Then baby supplies is about $60 a month.

Overall we spend about $460 to $500 a month on groceries.

Think it's doable to go less than that? On average how much is your grocery bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 08:34 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
I am a single adult woman. I enjoy a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables and a few premade deli items (such as quiche, ham salad, a chicken breast) each week. I also enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches, pasta dishes, fish, turkey and soup. It is hard to narrow down my food budget. Some weeks I spend $30 at the grocery store and sometimes $60. A lot depends on how much food I have in the freezer and cupboards. If I had to put a number on it I probably spend $150 to $200 a month (including rare carry-out and restaurant meals) for one adult.

OTOH, my brother shops the sales and plans the meals by what is on special that week. He goes grocery shopping twice a week and cooks, extremely healthy, well balanced meal "from scratch". I believe that he spends less than $200 a month (maybe a lot less) on groceries for two adults and that includes a lot of meat (pork chops, roasts, steak, chicken, fish).

If all three adults are working, it probably would be more difficult to make everything from scratch and you would probably buy more easy to prepare foods.

Frankly, if you are including cleaning supplies, bathroom tissue, laundry detergent, dish soap and similar items for three adults and a baby $460 to $500 a month does not sound too bad. But, it's been many years since I bought groceries for four people, so I may be way off.

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-24-2021 at 08:56 PM..

Old 03-24-2021, 08:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Put $100 in an envelope the first of the month for Food and Entertainment. If it ever runs dry... get creative.

Worked for our family for 40+ yrs, we eat VERY well, a little too well!

Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, salmon, and occasional steak and brisket.

Most of the produce I get from a company that takes blems from warehouse or grocery ! $0.30 - $0.60 / #

When kids were teenagers, we worked 2 nights / week in homeless shelter feeding the hungry (including our kids! if there were left-overs). If not... we got creative again. helps to have a big freezer, and gleaning during harvest and putting up food for winter.

USA grocery prices are dirt cheap. Just got a dozen Large eggs for $0.88, milk $.99 per 1/2 gal (lasts me a few weeks)
We usually fast at least one day / week and give the $ we would have spent to the hungry.

NO pasta or rice in our home (as I say we eat way too well ... trying to stay at HS weight (for last 50 yrs). Carbs or refined foods are minimal. Usually eat fresh, seldom eat out. NEVER have had a packaged / frozen meal in the last 60 yrs. Donuts are out

Old 03-24-2021, 09:33 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Get rid of the animals. If I was tight on money that would be my first cut.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:44 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
So much depends on the costs of where you live and other variables. It's hard to say if you could go lower on costs. If you need to save more money, it may be better to try and find a way to bring home more money. Maybe someone could pick up a part time job for a few hours a week or do a side gig using your talents. Depending on where you live, pet sitting for others in their home or yours could build up an extra few hundred dollars per month pretty quick.

I would agree to not taking on pets you can not afford. I would not give up an animal I had already adopted unless there is an absolute need to do so or the pet can not or is not being properly cared for. The chance of that pet getting a good home after the cute baby stage is greatly decreased. Pets are a lifetime commitment. The monthly cost of owning one isn't that high. Basic costs of vaccinations, etc. are different at different vet clinics. Calling around helps. It's the unexpected medical bills that can be budget crushing. I'm not sure how to fix that.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:58 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,009,133 times
Keep the animals.
Get rid of so many different cleaning supplies.
I used to work retail, Sat mornings I'd watch folks spend $30 or more just on cleaning supplies.
A gallon of bleach was then $1.50 and a jug of deodorizer could be had for a $1.00.
Even a bottle of vinegar, cooking and cleaning. Lol

Old 03-25-2021, 07:42 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
Keep the animals.
Get rid of so many different cleaning supplies.
I used to work retail, Sat mornings I'd watch folks spend $30 or more just on cleaning supplies.
A gallon of bleach was then $1.50 and a jug of deodorizer could be had for a $1.00.
Even a bottle of vinegar, cooking and cleaning. Lol
Two dogs and a cat and you think they need LESS cleaning supplies. LOL!

Old 03-25-2021, 06:14 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Get rid of the animals. If I was tight on money that would be my first cut.
of course, they are get, pet, get rid off

Old 03-25-2021, 06:15 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
What do you consider deli items?

Old 04-22-2021, 03:57 PM

978 posts, read 673,521 times
In the world of money and budgeting pets are considered a luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living