Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 01:22 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Maybe they have no savings BECAUSE they bought a house.
It is cheaper to buy than rent in many metro areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 02:20 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
It is cheaper to buy than rent in many metro areas.
Sure. I'm just saying you plunk down a large wad of cash to buy a house. That would be a very good reason to have your savings depleted.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-30-2021, 02:34 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Serious question. According to articles the vast majority of Americans have little to no savings with various levels of debt. The question is, how can so many people then afford down payments on homes?
The problem is that most of these articles don’t consider home equity to be a form of savings.

Which it technically is.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:44 AM

1,601 posts, read 867,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The problem is that most of these articles don’t consider home equity to be a form of savings.

Which it technically is.

On the other hand, I also see plenty of articles that say people have too much of their net worth in their home, which is NOT a liquid asset, even if right now they're pretty easy to move in most places. I know plenty of people who have been stuck with 2 mortgages and struggled over the years when buying a new house before selling the old one.

Old 05-31-2021, 12:49 PM

17,381 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Which it technically is.
That is true. A person who is sitting in 1.5 million paid off house is not "broke" even if they might be house poor.

Old 06-02-2021, 02:57 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, many saved for the down payment, bought the house, and now have no more savings. That's how it was for us when we bought our first house in 1978. We currently have more savings than ever before but that's because we bought this house in 1993 and have stayed here, so no more need for another down payment. Our 3 savings accounts are all in different credit unions.

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/rese...count-balance/
Yes, when we were young newlyweds, we put all our money into our first home (I was 21) and thus liquidated our savings. But we never minded that, since we felt secure with our very own house (in 1977).

Time to save again later....

Old 06-03-2021, 08:26 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Serious question. According to articles the vast majority of Americans have little to no savings with various levels of debt. The question is, how can so many people then afford down payments on homes?
Mommy and daddy.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, when we were young newlyweds, we put all our money into our first home (I was 21) and thus liquidated our savings. But we never minded that, since we felt secure with our very own house (in 1977).

Time to save again later....
I remember that my wife cried, at the "30 year commitment" as her parents had always rented. Our 1978 loan was at 7%, and that was a 1% discount since my wife worked at the bank. Our payment with tax/insurance was $369, that was $119 more than the house we were renting before.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:31 PM

23,598 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I remember that my wife cried, at the "30 year commitment" as her parents had always rented. Our 1978 loan was at 7%, and that was a 1% discount since my wife worked at the bank. Our payment with tax/insurance was $369, that was $119 more than the house we were renting before.
Those 30 year loans were designed to extract extraordinary amounts of interest, in a time when interest rates were much higher than today. I signed off, then because the actual principle that was paid was minimal, often paid the monthly loan PLUS five or six months of principle for only the equal amount of that loan payment. The 30 years quickly became ten years and at around that point I just made the basic payment or with only the principle for the next month added. I would NEVER have signed anything with a pre-payment penalty.

It all is a balancing act - value of house, value of money, rate of inflation, need for cash in the immediate time frame, financial goals long term, overall economy, whether the neighborhood is going up or down in value.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:38 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
VA, FHA, USDA and other non-conventional loans. This isn't rocket science.
Exactly. If you want it, you figure out a way. I bought a house (condo/townhouse actually) and I had no savings at all. I borrowed the down payment for a 3.5% FHA from my pension fund, which doesn't show up anywhere as a debt. I just had to pay it back before retirement or my pension would be permanently reduced, which I did (and retired a little less than six years later). Last year I refi'd to a 15-year conventional.

I had the salary by then to make a mortgage payment but never was in a position to save money earlier in life. Doing that enabled me to be able to buy my own place instead of rent, and the mortgage/taxes/insurance payment was less than the rent I'd been paying.

Oh, and now that I am out of all other debt, I have a growing savings account in retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living