Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2021, 05:12 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Maybe they have no savings BECAUSE they bought a house.
This...

Also, not everybody buys a house in the leafy suburbs. Houses in less desirable areas can be pretty cheap.

But I would say the better question is ... how is the median household income from any given town so skewed from home prices. I'm sure there's a thread on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 06:44 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly. If you want it, you figure out a way. I bought a house (condo/townhouse actually) and I had no savings at all. I borrowed the down payment for a 3.5% FHA from my pension fund, which doesn't show up anywhere as a debt. I just had to pay it back before retirement or my pension would be permanently reduced, which I did (and retired a little less than six years later). Last year I refi'd to a 15-year conventional.

I had the salary by then to make a mortgage payment but never was in a position to save money earlier in life. Doing that enabled me to be able to buy my own place instead of rent, and the mortgage/taxes/insurance payment was less than the rent I'd been paying.

Oh, and now that I am out of all other debt, I have a growing savings account in retirement.
Seems like you did it right! Congrats on getting it all paid down before your retired, and it sounds like you're doing well in retirement.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
This...

Also, not everybody buys a house in the leafy suburbs. Houses in less desirable areas can be pretty cheap.

But I would say the better question is ... how is the median household income from any given town so skewed from home prices. I'm sure there's a thread on it.
Yes, it does seem odd that the median family incomes are not enough to buy the median priced home. I think much of it is caused by the home being bought years ago for much less, then appreciating faster than the owner's income. For example, we paid $190k in 1993, now worth $1.1 million. Our income is 3 times as high now, but the house is worth almost 6 times higher.

Where I grew up, Lafayette CA: $138,073 income, $2.11 Million Home

Where we bought our first house, Castro Valley CA: $101,806 income, $899,000 home

Where we live now, Sammamish WA: $165,318 income, $1,141,969 home

Medina, WA where Bill Gates Lives: $192,120 income, $3.3 Million home

Old 06-08-2021, 10:48 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
A steady stream of articles about retirees having "no savings" is perhaps similar to articles describing house-buyer's who have no savings(?). Few of these articles qualify their data sources or collection methods --- and many tend to equate "savings" with money reported in bank savings accounts. With the absurdly low savings account interest rate, that's hardly a good place to keep one's savings.

Obviously, people buying first homes must have down payment money from somewhere. Of course, as one buys their second and third home etc., one typically funds that with the equity from the prior home (not savings accounts). -- Certainly, growing equity is one of the few ways Californians can keep-up with spiraling house prices.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:24 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
I bought with no money down. $500 for escrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living