Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 06:50 PM

23,666 posts, read 70,741,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Dollar Tree — It’s Awesome. A laundry spray and cleaner. Works great, cheap.
I happened to have a spray bottle of "Shout" and one of those sprays from DT. The DT spray was about three times more effective at working on an oil stain!

The dishwasher boluses work better for me than the more expensive ones as well. There is some chemical in the "jet dry" type of drying aids that I happen to be sensitive to, and those do not have it. I liked the looks of the dishes done with others, but I value my health more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2021, 01:17 AM

6,788 posts, read 5,529,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Dollar Tree — It’s Awesome. A laundry spray and cleaner. Works great, cheap.
This was at least one of mine!

The Awesome Oxy laundry spray pretreatment, and the granulated Awesome Oxy laundry enhancer.
One spray on a stain or potential stain, and one scoop, and clean sparkling laundry...any color!
Why pay $6.99 for a tub of oxy-clean, when about 3 $1 versions equals it?

And as we are both allergic to laundry perfumes, and only use the"free and clear" laundry detergent (NOT bought at dollar tree), there is a slight scent to the granulated, but so subtle it just smells "clean".

I wear only wool socks in winter, the Dollar Tree "woolite" detergent is great for those.

I will by the Dollar Tree $1 laundry soap...to do things that aren't or won't be in constant contact with our skin...like the bathroom throw rugs.
It does a great job too.

I DO have the OPs mini flashlight on my key chain. I bought a bag of 20 of them some odd years ago for $4.00.

There are too many Dollar Tree items that are favs of mine, too many to list!

Probably one of my favorites is: a rubber jar opener.
It was free from an insurance agent.
It conforms to any size lid in the palm if ones hand, and makes it easier to open stubborn jars.
Either they can put them on tighter at the factory today, or have better sealing capacity, or (groan!) I'm getting older enough that I'm losing strength to get a grip on things (double groan for the pun!) to open jars!

I'll see what else I can come up with.

Best to all

Old 06-24-2021, 07:00 AM

5,913 posts, read 7,032,454 times
Dollar Tree always had very nice paint brushes. Cheap enough to throw away after one use, but nice enough to keep and reuse, if you wanted to go to the effort to clean them. The last couple times I have been in the stores, it looks like they are replacing them with the cheap chip brushes that really are nothing but disposable.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:55 AM

2,537 posts, read 2,093,066 times
I buy a lot of containers at the $ store. They have Betty Crocker plastic for 4=$1...or the ones w/blue lids that I buy.

Also, they're aluminum containers...usually 3-4 for $1.

I buy their toothpaste, and cheapo reading glasses for my computer reading.
Their chip clips too. Cards. Garden decorations.

Old 06-27-2021, 10:58 AM

131,363 posts, read 12,290,819 times
2 for $1 greeting cards, & a light up magnifying glass that I keep near my chair, when something is too small for me to see or read ( one item) All Dollar tree.

Old 06-27-2021, 01:36 PM

7,539 posts, read 13,724,418 times
Greeting cards 2/$1
Gift wrap & bags
LED Bulbs
Batteries
4 way screwdriver (keep in kitchen drawer. The good tools are in the garage.)
Toilet bowl cleaner
Magnetic grocery list pad

Old 06-28-2021, 11:37 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,065,091 times
Rubber jar opener - free
Big bottle of vinegar (under $3) used it to kill weeds. Saves money on paying someone to pull weeds. It works but you need to keep up with it.
Address labels - sometimes these are send unsolicited. I use them and they are free. Haven't gotten any lately though.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:07 PM

22,695 posts, read 24,731,868 times
I've shifted so much of my shopping to Dollar Tree, so I have a hard time deciding.

All the flashlights I have bought at DT have been pretty great. And being in the van after dark really necessitates decent lights.

Also, the buffet-line serving-gloves they sell at DT, 100 for a buck. I use them all the time for tasks where I do not want to get my hands dirty and do not need to waste a more expensive pair of gloves. Great for checking oil/trans fluid, picking up greasy rags or paper-towels, handling tools, etc, etc.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:52 PM

22,450 posts, read 29,615,260 times
Sounds like I need to do a DT trip

Old 06-28-2021, 04:58 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,676,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Rare find in $1 store
Umbrella yep a folding (telescoping) Umbrella that can easily fit in pocket or purse. Bought 12. 3 years ago, and 4-5 remain.

$1 reading glasses. If you buy the 4.0 power ones and go camping, you can start a fire with them

The dollar tree reading glasses are great as well as the sunglasses. Although less of a selection there, birthday/holiday cards are a great deal too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living