Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 11:57 AM

14,466 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

This solves Tracfone issues.

https://www.consumercellular.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 12:54 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times
If all you want is talk and text then you can't beat the prices on this website. You DON'T have to buy data if you don't want. Scroll down this page:

https://www.usmobile.com/

You pick how many minutes and text you need (example 1000 minutes for $6.00 + $2.00 service fee, and about a dollar or less in taxes, or unlimited talk for $8.00 plus $2.00 + taxes)

All you need is an unlocked phone, they will send you the sim.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:29 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
If all you want is talk and text then you can't beat the prices on this website. You DON'T have to buy data if you don't want. Scroll down this page:

https://www.usmobile.com/

You pick how many minutes and text you need (example 1000 minutes for $6.00 + $2.00 service fee, and about a dollar or less in taxes, or unlimited talk for $8.00 plus $2.00 + taxes)

I've been testing a phone out with the service.

The phone needs to be on Verizon's white list.

They send TWO sims. Be sure to use the black one. You also CANNOT set up service using just the phone. The setup webpage only works on a computer.

It took a while after setup before things began to work, longer than expected. Interestingly, it uses Verizon as a base here on channels 5 and 13. There are times when my tracfone (now owned by Verizon and using the same channels) will work and the usmobile won't. Usually, a restart of the phone fixes it.

This is a very rural area, and those issues may not happen elsewhere.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:12 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,429,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I've been testing a phone out with the service.

The phone needs to be on Verizon's white list.

They send TWO sims. Be sure to use the black one. You also CANNOT set up service using just the phone. The setup webpage only works on a computer.

It took a while after setup before things began to work, longer than expected. Interestingly, it uses Verizon as a base here on channels 5 and 13. There are times when my tracfone (now owned by Verizon and using the same channels) will work and the usmobile won't. Usually, a restart of the phone fixes it.

This is a very rural area, and those issues may not happen elsewhere.
Sorry this happened to you. I was with them for a good while and I never encountered any problems. I had bought an unlocked phone online and when the sim arrived I just pushed it into the slot. I don't really remember the setup process, but if data is necessary to set it up and you don't have any, I would go to the nearest library and use their computer, or just buy some data the first month. If you're using a smart phone, you can get free WiFi at McDonald's or any government office or library. I would often go to the library and use their WiFi from the parking lot, didn't even have to go in.
My phone is not a tracfone, maybe that has something to do with it. I personally do not like overpaying tracfone prices. I would suggest that if you already have a phone that is locked with another network, that you click on the link where they help you to unlock it. It is worth a little hassle since the prices are unbeatable and the service does work once it's set up.
I do hope it helps someone.

Old 02-05-2022, 11:57 PM

4,606 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post

www.usmobile.com

I have this service, together with a 4G flip phone bought on Ebay.

The price is right, for an emergency-contact device that hopefully will never be needed.

Last edited by NW4me; 02-06-2022 at 12:36 AM..

Old 02-12-2022, 12:45 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Found it; 365 Service Days Add-On for less than $70. That fits the bill; thank you!

But if there is anything cheaper than Tracfone out there, still taking suggestions...
PagePlusCellular is a Tracfone subsidiary. It has the absolute cheapest 4G Pay as You Go cell phone plan in America. Price is $10 for 120 days, but minutes are extremely limited (166 minutes). As you are only getting roughly 1 minute per day, this service is only for people who want to call emergency numbers (not just 911, but including your spouse to say you'll be late for dinner or you are stuck in traffic). Also can be used for texting.

If you renew for an additional 120 days, you can keep your residual money, but you must renew before the previous 120 days expire. The website has not worked in a year, so you have to call the phone support.
If you go over your 166 minutes early, simply start a new 120 day plan. If you are repeatedly going over in less than 30 days, more than once, up grade to cheapest "No Contract Monthly Plans". For automatic renewall you have to get at least $10 per month (500 minutes + 500 texts +100 MB 4G LTE).

Page Plus Cellular does not have the cheapest unlimited plans. I usually upgrade to unlimited for a month once in a while when I expect to make or receive a lot of calls that month.

$29.95 Unlimited minutes Includes $10 International Unlimited minutes National and International First 3 GB Data up to 4G LTE†, then 2G*

Old 02-12-2022, 03:17 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
I went with the additional year of service for $60 something bought on eBay (I still have nearly 2k minutes remaining) that someone here suggested, so thanks for that. Perfect!

Funny how the Tracfone representatives -- both on chat and on the phone -- were at a loss when I asked if there was a way to buy JUST service days and NOT more minutes.

Hmm...

Old 02-15-2022, 03:19 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
The cheapest I found was Tracfone. They do have a plan where they will bill it each month to a credit card/bank so you do not have to renew all the time.

$20 per month. Automatically refill your service. *Save $5/month for the first 2 months, then regular price will apply. Your credit or debit card will be charged on the service end date of your Tracfone Unlimited plan, and thereafter on the last day of the service plan cycle.

Thus $15 per month for the first two months then $20 a month after that so $230 for the first year. There is also a $199 per year, paid up front.

Walmart has some Tracfone phones for $30.

Last edited by johngolf; 02-15-2022 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-15-2022, 03:46 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I went with the additional year of service for $60 something bought on eBay (I still have nearly 2k minutes remaining) that someone here suggested, so thanks for that. Perfect!
You're welcome!

Old 02-15-2022, 04:03 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
The cheapest I found was Tracfone. They do have a plan where they will bill it each month to a credit card/bank so you do not have to renew all the time.

$20 per month. Automatically refill your service. *Save $5/month for the first 2 months, then regular price will apply. Your credit or debit card will be charged on the service end date of your Tracfone Unlimited plan, and thereafter on the last day of the service plan cycle.

Thus $15 per month for the first two months then $20 a month after that so $230 for the first year. There is also a $199 per year, paid up front.

Walmart has some Tracfone phones for $30.
Yes; Tracfone proved to be the cheapest for me, especially since I already had a phone!

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living