Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 04:50 PM

270 posts, read 210,469 times

Advertisements

I got a sim card from h2o Wireless pay as you plan for 90 days. Paid the cheapest one $10, good for 90 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 08:06 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
A-stock LG Velvet on AT&T Prepaid.. buy the Velvet on ebay and get AT&T prepaid for $300/year using prepaid cards on sale to pay. You can also spend a bit more to get the LG V60.

ATT Prepaid gives double data right now for 12 months.. so 16GB of higher priority data per month.

Old 07-16-2022, 07:53 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE42 View Post
Check out AT&T's prepaid plans. I believe one offer is $25 per month for a new account, for a 12-month pre-paid plan. So $300, and there's probably an activation fee too.
I've been on that art page for several years and it works great. Data rolls over so if you don't use it, it banks but limited on his much it banks. Regardless it's more than enough for my use. Plus no activation fee, just had to buy the sim initially. Every year it just auto enrolls.

Old 07-17-2022, 11:50 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Actually, ANY cell phone that is charged can be used to call 911 even without service or minutes. Just pick an old one up at a thrift store and keep it charged in your glove box for emergencies on the road or when you're out walking or hiking.
Not going to use a 2G/3G phone without wifi connection available, not even for emergency. The cell towers arent set up for it anymore. You will just get a "no service available" message or more likely nothing at all.

For minimal use account, look for 360day Red Pocket deals on Ebay. They also offer monthly deals on their website.

As to not having a cell phone, ok, but honestly most places a 'local call only' landline costs more per month than cheap unlimited voice/text cell phone plan.

I live in rural area and when dialup internet became unusable for most things, I looked, local phone company didnt offer DSL down my road. They also had monopoly so those areas they offered DSL, it was an expensive bundled deal ONLY available with all bells and whistles of landline that nobody actually uses. Cell plan with data cost less than landline with dialup and long distance. So whatever floats your boat. Gotta shop around. I realize most here are city folk where there is actual competition and basic DSL plan is $20-$25 rather than the $80 out here in the sticks. Yea they gotta compete with cable in the cities and with free wifi.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:04 PM

947 posts, read 787,434 times
I have Ting. I get unlimited talk and text for $10/month plus taxes and state fees (about $13 total in Philly). Data is $5 extra per gig. I have my own personal WiFi through my internet provider as well as free internet courtesy of Xfinity in center city where I live. Data through those sources is free, since I'm not using the cellular network.

I keep data turned off on my phone to be sure I never use cellular for data. That setting just disables cellular data; it still works with WiFi. I found that if I didn't turn it off, there were very tiny usage amounts sneaking in on cellular, which increased by monthly bill $5.

Old 07-27-2022, 10:37 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I have a Tracfone, which you can buy at Dollar General, to use strictly as a phone. Very cheap, and I just buy minutes/service days as needed (I seldom even turn it on). Very rarely, I'll get/answer a text. It has some bells and whistles, but I don't use them; they're optional. It's your phone, so use it as you wish. Works for me!

Your bigger complaint about a society addicted to cell phones? It's too late now...

Learn to live with it.

Old 07-29-2022, 12:13 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
I use Tello for my folks who use very little data and call. I know OP has found a plan she likes so this information is for others who's looking for a cheaper plan.

Tello offers unlimited talk & text for $8 per month + $0.36 tax. They use the Tmobile network.

https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living