Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 04:47 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times

Advertisements

Live where you don't need a car. That's the biggest expense (aside from rent or mortgage).

Live where there are not exorbitant property taxes.

Live where health care is provided for a minimal shared fee.

We did all the above and don't have to worry about cheap groceries, and even have $$ left to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 06:31 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,005,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's almost impossible for those of us living in the USA to give advice about how to save money while living in Eastern Europe.
Yes, very true, you have no idea.

People living there and struggling with money never ever buy stuff that they don't really need. Never ever. Used car instead of new...ha ha. More like public transportation or walking. Wait for movies on DVD, saving for traveling...it's quite funny to read these.

Think more like basic needs, that's all.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:06 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's almost impossible for those of us living in the USA
to give advice about how to save money while living in Eastern Europe.
Nonsense. Of course we can provide all manner of insight - at the general level.
f'rinstance... We can easily project what we know as the single largest aspect of household expense in the US ...
(and most of the western economies around the world) ... will apply EVERYWHERE else too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking_for_hope View Post
Could you please share tips to live on low income?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How many others do you share the expenses of a home with? A kitchen? A toilet?
It works wherever you live.
^^Like that.

Old 08-23-2022, 08:42 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
In general, reduce fixed cost.

Debt service is fixed cost. Renting things is fixed cost.

Variable costs can be reduced if you have to. Food, for example, unless you are truly eating at the lowest subsistence level; you can almost always reduce your food costs. Clothing, entertainment - all of these are variable costs that you can allow to expand when you have more money and you can contract when you don't.

Be careful about developing expensive habits, and then redefining them as "necessities". I can't speak to your particular situation, but here in the US, for example, it's extremely common for people to stop off for a coffee on the way to work. Most of them feel like this is a necessity. It's not; it's a small luxury and it can be stopped instantly if needed.

Old 08-25-2022, 12:13 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Car expenses? You guys have no idea about the lifestyle in most East European nations. Coffee? Seriously?
Get money so that you can use it for bribes. Corruption is everywhere and without money to slip someone a few rubles, euros, you can't get ahead. Even "elementary" teachers take something and in return will give your 5 year old child more attention. One hand washes the other.

Old 08-25-2022, 11:46 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Cover shelter, food, and basic clothing first.

Everything else is pretty much discretionary. Choose wisely.

Old 08-26-2022, 12:49 PM

740 posts, read 456,098 times
Shelter is often one of the most expensive thing. What I would do is get myself a used van or vehicle large enough and just live in it. Or move in with room mates or family members. After that buy only necessary things. Cut out eating out and entertainment. In other words...Bare Minimum Lifestyle.

Old 08-26-2022, 01:16 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,005,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Car expenses? You guys have no idea about the lifestyle in most East European nations. Coffee? Seriously?
Get money so that you can use it for bribes. Corruption is everywhere and without money to slip someone a few rubles, euros, you can't get ahead. Even "elementary" teachers take something and in return will give your 5 year old child more attention. One hand washes the other.
Unfortunately, you are right. It's terrible sad.
My dad was in the hospital there, 3 years ago and my own brother had to give a bribe to the surgeon before the operation. He could not do it, was absolutely disgusted! So mom had to go there and take care of this issue.

When I lived there I had to give bribes only two times, when I was a teen. It was terrible. One time to a dentist, so he would use anesthetic on me before treatment. They did not use it if you didn't pay (that particular time I couldn't take the pain so I said: "Stop! I'll pay for anesthetic today!". Most of the time, they didn't have it, at all. This was during communism. Second time for another doctor, for some special tests. I needed them faster.

Last edited by farm108; 08-26-2022 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-29-2022, 08:38 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
Look around nicer nearby neighborhood and see what you can offer in your time off that benefits them and gets you money. I remember visiting a friend once and there was one home that offered take-out dinners, it was very popular. Simple food at good price because they only offered one or two dinner choices per day.

If your neighborhood would frown on people coming to pickup you can deliver to those who subscribe to your dinner plan.
Your flyer should say "Save your money and your time" to show how it is to THEIR advantage to use your services.

Other money-making ideas in better neighborhoods: clean their home, shop for their groceries, walk their dogs. Make flyers with your name and phone number and explanation of what services you offer. Once you get enough customers and are earning more than your current job you can quit that job and get more customers.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:15 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,187,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
Unfortunately, you are right. It's terrible sad.
My dad was in the hospital there, 3 years ago and my own brother had to give a bribe to the surgeon before the operation. He could not do it, was absolutely disgusted! So mom had to go there and take care of this issue.

When I lived there I had to give bribes only two times, when I was a teen. It was terrible. One time to a dentist, so he would use anesthetic on me before treatment. They did not use it if you didn't pay (that particular time I couldn't take the pain so I said: "Stop! I'll pay for anesthetic today!". Most of the time, they didn't have it, at all. This was during communism. Second time for another doctor, for some special tests. I needed them faster.
Here you don’t need to pay bribes: the healthcare will fleece you and bankrupt you totally legally, including taking your home if you own one in some cases

Disgusted about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living