Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 11:22 AM

3,112 posts, read 1,006,463 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am. It's terrible.

Anyway, still, I would rather live instead of die and I presume that most of the people would rather live too. But I might be mistaken...

Crazy world. So many anomalies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2022, 10:53 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times
Probably 70 or 80 years too late to get good suggestions from Americans. Have to really go pre-WWII and that generation mostly passed. I watched an eastern European youtube video some lady just using flour and water to make fancy pastry. Hey I was impressed. It was obviously time consuming but way to have bit luxury on a strict budget.

But anywhere, its the basics, housing, food, and transportation. How to make those as low cost as possible without suffering unduly.

Old 09-03-2022, 01:12 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Have some grit, and for the most part, ignore the pull to buy things you do not need.

I laugh when people whine and screech because their tub-floor is starting to show some discoloration, and they must refinish it immediately, even though functionality of that tub will probably not be impacted for many, many years. These types blow money on emotionally-driven items, it is hard for them to be frugal.

Old 09-04-2022, 03:34 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Have some grit, and for the most part, ignore the pull to buy things you do not need.

I laugh when people whine and screech because their tub-floor is starting to show some discoloration, and they must refinish it immediately, even though functionality of that tub will probably not be impacted for many, many years. These types blow money on emotionally-driven items, it is hard for them to be frugal.

This seems very prevalent in modern America, probably other places. Looks are everything. Actually for rational people, function is everything. Functional and cheap to keep wins every time.

Now on other hand seen some people live with grubbiness when new coat paint would improve looks/feel of place dramatically. Paint is relatively cheap and doityourself. Heck shop for discounted paint. Lowes used to sell cans paint people had custom mixed color and then decided they didnt like it. No idea if they still do that, but hey decent paint cheap if you arent that picky. Need more than one gallon, buy it and mix all of it together, stir until its some uniform color. Maybe ugly color but it will make whatever you are painting look clean and fresh.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:26 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,312,628 times
The first and most important step is to know what every cent/dollar/euro is spent on.

It's easiest with a spreadsheet, but you can use lined paper. Make a row for every day and a column for each kind of purchase. Rent, electricity, gas, water, phone, internet, clothes, breakfast, lunch, dinner, alcohol, cigarettes, coffee snacks at work, payment on old debts, but break interest out to separate column, and so on for everything.

Then add each column at the end of the month. You'll see some obvious unneeded choices, and you will see things to shop for better deals on .

For example, when I first did this, I was surprised to see my family (me, wife, 2 kids) spent more money on books than clothes. We talked and decided that was good and to cut back on clothes first. Make your priorities match your spending.

A simple way to get started:
plan every meal ahead of time for at least a week, and make only one trip to grocery store with a list you planned.
Don't eat out unless it's free food.
It's hard at first, but someday your salary increases with outpace your spending needs and desires.

Old 09-15-2022, 03:00 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking_for_hope View Post
Hi,

I live in an east european country where salaries are low and my salary is a bit below the average. Could you please share tips to live on low income?
Get a second or third job. I did that for years while raising my son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living