Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 11:55 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,782,993 times

Advertisements

My Pixel 3XL that is almost 4 years old and now getting from 100% to 20% in about 4 hours with heavy use - internet browsing, camera, navigation/maps.

So the choices now are:

- Pick up a Pixel 6a on discount ($399 at Amazon, price seems awfully tempting) but it's a downgrade in specs from my current phone, although not quite sure I would notice all that much to be honest. On the other hand it does have 5G which my current phone does not.

- Pay $100 and do a battery swap on my current phone, then upgrade to the Pixel 7 Pro in a year when it goes on sale.

- Pay $1000 for a Pixel 7 Pro now, YIKES! That is a lot for a phone.

Leaning towards getting the battery fixed and keep using my current one since there is really nothing wrong with it apart from the battery.

The one concern I have is - giving my phone with sensitive data to the shop, I know it's fingerprint locked but still my phone has access to my entire social and financial life.

Another thing is that the battery on the Pixel 3XL is very difficult to swap out and they may brick my phone in the process or worse mess something up when fixing it that it stops working right.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Google+...acement/128323

Suggestions on what option you would go with??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 12:24 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I don't have a Google phone, just an iphone. Mine is 5 years old and I am having the same problems as you. A family member with the exact same phone as me had a new battery installed at the Apple store. He is still having the same problems like me. I think these phones have built in obsolescence. I am leaning towards replacing my iphone with a newer model.

Old 09-10-2022, 12:25 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,600,762 times
I replaced a battery in an iPhone by myself recently. Ordered the battery and toolkit online. It only took about 45 minutes to remove the old battery, and replace it with the new one. Since then, no problems at all.
There are tons of videos on YT about how to replace phone batteries.
If you aren’t comfortable working on electronics, take it to a repair shop. They may even let you watch them replace the battery, as a safeguard.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:10 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
My iPhone 6 was showing the same problems. I decided to go for the battery. Apple still carries brand new iPhones 12 & 13 for under $1000, so I can buy a brand-new non-top-of-the-line phone from them. They also sell refurbished iPhones which carry the brand-new phone guarantee.

Maybe Pixar does something like this?

Old 09-10-2022, 04:30 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
I had an iphone 6s that was about 4 years old with battery down to less than 70% capacity, which results in pretty bad performance. I decided to have a new battery put in at an Apple store for about $50 or so. It seemed to help a little but it was nowhere near how a brand new phone would operate as far as battery life is concerned. Must have been other things with my phone that were also causing shorter battery life. In my experience it was not worth it to change. I got a new phone a few months later. If I were you I'd get a new phone as $100 for a new battery seems steep.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:38 AM

1,624 posts, read 1,354,061 times
I had a 3aXL, loved that phone, but the battery got weak. I traded it in to Google for a 5a, they gave me $100 for it. Maybe see if they would take yours as a trade-in? Checking the Google store, it looks like they still have the trade-in program going. Just pick out which new phone you want, then click on trade-in.

Last edited by noodlecat; 09-11-2022 at 06:40 AM..

Old 09-11-2022, 08:21 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
A new battery would probably solve all of your phone issues.

I finally had to give mine up since the cell phone companies won't support it any longer, but when I changed the battery, the phone acted like a brand new phone again. I can't remember what year I got it but it was at least 10 years old and still working just like it should.

If you want a new phone and can afford a new phone, then get yourself a new phone, but if you are interested in economy and you like the phone you've got, just buy a new battery for it.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:27 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
That's a repair that I'd youtube to see if I could do myself.

Old 09-12-2022, 02:26 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
I know in the past I shopped around carriers and for the past two times I upgraded my phone I was able to find a carrier who would cover the cost of the phone through contract credits over the course of 2 years. If you switch carriers and trade in your current phone you might be able to get one for free. That's the strategy I take. Typically carriers around me are all pretty similar so it's not a big deal for me.

Old 09-12-2022, 08:52 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Your problem is that you're fixated to Google Pixel phones. Google makes crappy phones, go get an iPhone. If you hate iPhone then go get a Samsung. The reason why Apple and Samsung are the world's top phone maker and not Google because Pixel phones are crap, they charge a premium while the phones don't last and even Google stop supporting their own phones after 2 years. Samsung still gave updates to Samsung Galaxy 10 Phones that are older than your Pixel 3.

Get rid of Pixel phones and go with other makes. I still have my Samsung Galaxy 10 Plus the battery works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living