Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 07:00 AM

1,603 posts, read 871,953 times

Advertisements

I haven't had AT&T for a few years now, threatening to quit was a yearly ritual for me and eventually I would just say, "transfer me to the retention call center in St. Louis." I got internet service 30-40% lower than the going rate for years by doing that.

Ironically, I pay Cox far more than I ever paid AT&T now and just let it happen because I'm in different place financially and too busy to dick with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 01:20 PM

76 posts, read 108,122 times
1000 Pardons please. I thought I had things set up so that I got a message anytime there was a reply. Apparently not.

Here is what transpired;
When I couldn't get the quoted amount I told them to cancel my service.
I went to Spectrum, the only TV alternative in this area.
I got a sweet sounding young girl and she set me up with exactly what I wanted for just $112/mo. WRONG!!!
I got suspicious an called to verify. No, she applied a credit I was not eligible for. The service would be $154. II asked more questions and found she had left out two cable boxes. Now the total would be $176.
I canceled that service (even before it was installed).

I resumed negotiating with AT&T. The best they could do was the $161 amount but they would give me the first new month for $141. I had to go with it. I have to travel for an extensive period and won't be able to find and set up an alternative for my family.

Then a few days later I got a message that my service will be $134 going forward. Then I got a message that I owed $20.00. I went to my account and the balance was $0.00.

What a way to run a company???????????????

Now I will answer individual replies from you kind folks that I missed.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What is the actual breakdown and time period of the 161 invoice?

It was for the identical monthly service that I had been using for 4 years. During later negotiations it came out that I had been paying $151 but a $60/mo "plan" had expired and was replaced by a $50/mo plan so the price went from $151 to $161. The estimate apparently included the $60 and $50 plans so that is why it said 100.84. 161-60 (expiring) = 100.84

Old 11-07-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Maybe cancel and go Internet only?

IIRC youtube TV (not the same as youtube) costs about $60 a month and is similar to basic cable.

Yes, I started to look into it. I signed up for the 5 days free but one of my TVs is not a smart TV so I would have to chromcast to it. There was something else that I can't remember right now.

Since I would have to travel I couldn't get things set up for the fam before I left.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Two things that come to my mind:

1) That doesn't look legitimate. It looks terribly designed and since I am in Marketing I have a good eye for what seems legit. If it was an email, what was the sending address?

2) Does the price you're quoting for your monthly cost include taxes and fees? Keep in mind that their offers don't include those fees. Taxes and fees in IL cost me around $58 a month, so even though my monthly cost is $105, I really pay closer to $162 a month.

It was actually an email that said checkout your account on the AT&T website. The screen capture was from their site (https://)

Old 11-07-2022, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Check out your false/misleading advertising and information laws in your region. You need to report this. Start with levelling a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. BBB will mediate the complaint for you (in my own experience). It's possible ATT will settle with you to avoid a bad rep with BBB. However you might want to ensure that other people don't end up getting treated like you are. Go on your social media accounts and post there that you are looking for other people who are having the same problem. Its worth it if you can get some support that way. Report it to the police. This all should not cost you anything. It's the prosecutors office that should act on it.

BBB is a good idea but I have too many balls in the air right now. Maybe someone else will have this problem and follow up on your suggestion.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:16 PM

23,579 posts, read 24,109,566 times
I’ve used AT&T for years and they have always done a “bait & switch” on me, on pricing.
They will quote a low price and when the bill comes, it is always higher than what was quoted.
AT&T knows that there are few other competitors that can offer the service they offer, so they are pretty firm on their quoted prices.

I left AT&T for good, in June 2021. I went to another internet provider and my cellular service is with another provider. Good riddance, AT&T!!

Good luck in your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living