Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 09:20 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times

Advertisements

Reusing coffee filters. That's a definite nope.

Generic coffee or, worse, instant coffee. Ugh, no, no, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 06:15 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Kitchen trash bags without draw strings. Better unit price but they fall into the bin constantly.
I agree. I buy all of my trash bags with draw strings. The convenience is worth it to me.

Old 03-29-2023, 06:54 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Yeah, I used to tell myself I'd like a small food garden.
Then I got honest with myself about knowing I don't want to put in that much effort.

More often now, I try to be honest about whether I want the thing, or I'm in love with the idea of having the thing. The reality of it -- not so much at all. (Like having a dog...I say I'd like a dog...but the reality of it....not really)

I have a skunk(s) in my backyard, and there are opossums and raccoons around (IF the skunks haven't pushed them out) -- and we have squirrels around. So I already know I'd have a heck of a fight on my hands -- netting, chicken wire, barriers, covers. Uh, no.

Last edited by selhars; 03-29-2023 at 07:02 AM..

Old 03-29-2023, 07:49 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

Have you ever tried TicToc coffee? It uses instant coffee and I really liked it. It is equal parts (2 tbsp) water, white sugar and instant coffee. Whip it with your beaters until it froths up really big. Put some milk or almond milk or whatever milk in a glass and add the whipped coffee mixture.

Old 04-02-2023, 04:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,378,331 times
Some off brand Swifter sheets are really bad and don't pick up the dust and hair. But I did buy the LIDL brand last week and they were pretty good -- the price difference is enough to make it worthwhile. But overall -- don't like the cheap varieties.

Old 04-05-2023, 07:34 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Yeah, I used to tell myself I'd like a small food garden.
Then I got honest with myself about knowing I don't want to put in that much effort.

More often now, I try to be honest about whether I want the thing, or I'm in love with the idea of having the thing. The reality of it -- not so much at all. (Like having a dog...I say I'd like a dog...but the reality of it....not really)

I have a skunk(s) in my backyard, and there are opossums and raccoons around (IF the skunks haven't pushed them out) -- and we have squirrels around. So I already know I'd have a heck of a fight on my hands -- netting, chicken wire, barriers, covers. Uh, no.
You can grow a tomato plant in a 5 gallon bucket. I only had two bad years when groundhogs ate my tomato plants. Not just the tomatoes.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:13 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I tend to debate whether doing something "worth it" when it comes to saving money.

For example, I saw (on a YouTube segment) a person talking about collecting the water that runs while she's waiting for the water to get warm.

Of course a person could get an instant hot water fixture. But like many people, I just let the water run a bit to warm up.

Well, in my case I'm wondering -- given the size of the sink, the way I have to capture the water to then funnel it into another container if the extra effort and time are worth it

And capturing the water slows my down getting ready in the morning....because while I'm capturing the running water -- I'm NOT brushing my teeth. And because I'm taking longer to get that done -- perhaps more water is running than if I just let it run and brushed my teeth and be done with it.

Even when I saw the video segment about this, I was asking my self is that really worth it?
Well, I do that because I live off a well and I've had times when the well has been out! So I don't let the water run just to run down the drain.

As to the main question, decades ago, when I was poor and started working nights, making coffee in the Mr. Coffee was cheaper than instant coffee. One night center had a microwave but no coffee maker, fire hazard, so I made coffee at home, put it in olive jars, and kept that supply at work in the frig.

I was a bit extreme back then. As it has come to be, I don't do instant coffee, anyhow. I have the stuff around, for camping trips, (and ground for camp fire pots, too!) but I don't drink the stuff myself.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:42 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I cut my own hair during the great pandemic lockdown. It looked bad.
I've cut my own hair since, in the Way Beforetimes, a vicious hairdresser gave me a mullet.

Old 04-15-2023, 03:25 AM

745 posts, read 479,688 times
Cheap no-name dishwashing liquid isn't worth it. It doesn't cut the grease and you end up using more of it. Dawn does the job.

Old 04-15-2023, 09:38 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Have you ever tried TicToc coffee? It uses instant coffee and I really liked it. It is equal parts (2 tbsp) water, white sugar and instant coffee. Whip it with your beaters until it froths up really big. Put some milk or almond milk or whatever milk in a glass and add the whipped coffee mixture.
The thing with instant coffee is that it's perfectly (ad defined by the manufacturer) and consistently brewed at the factory and then freeze dried. Then you add water and it dissolves, it tastes just like it was intended... and fresh... unlike beans that may have been ground and sitting around. If you like a particular instant coffee, that's great as you'll always be able to replicate that flavor.

Everyone has their own preferences, of course. Most of the continental US prefer burnt beans which you will have difficulty finding as instant coffee.

Also, instant coffee has less caffeine (about the same as a dark roast) than a normal light roast coffee without losing the complex flavor. So if you're one of those people who drink dark roast for the less caffeine, but don't like the toned down simpler flavor, you may like instant coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living