Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 06:32 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
The thing with instant coffee is that it's perfectly (ad defined by the manufacturer) and consistently brewed at the factory and then freeze dried. Then you add water and it dissolves, it tastes just like it was intended... and fresh... unlike beans that may have been ground and sitting around. If you like a particular instant coffee, that's great as you'll always be able to replicate that flavor.

Everyone has their own preferences, of course. Most of the continental US prefer burnt beans which you will have difficulty finding as instant coffee.

Also, instant coffee has less caffeine (about the same as a dark roast) than a normal light roast coffee without losing the complex flavor. So if you're one of those people who drink dark roast for the less caffeine, but don't like the toned down simpler flavor, you may like instant coffee.
Whatever they do to it - they take out the taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 07:17 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,876 times
Sugar in coffee? No nay never.

Old 04-16-2023, 07:25 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
Cheap no-name dishwashing liquid isn't worth it. It doesn't cut the grease and you end up using more of it. Dawn does the job.
I love Dawn. I water it down, about 3 parts water, one part Dawn, it still works great and I save on Dawn and on the water needed to rinse it off.

Old 04-16-2023, 08:44 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,354,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Whatever they do to it - they take out the taste.
They don't burn the beans which give that taste most Americans prefer.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:54 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
They don't burn the beans which give that taste most Americans prefer.
Enjoy the double amount of acrylamide in your “un burnedâ€- ha-ha - instant coffee while the Americans continue to enjoy the various brews we have from blonde to dark roasts with differing methods according to our varied tastes: drip, pour over, French press, aero press, cold brew, air brew, filtered, unfiltered, etc

Old 04-21-2023, 10:37 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
I cut my own hair once, never again. Live and learn
Or searching for a deal on a haircut. You find a place you like, stay with them (within reason.)

Cheaping out on toilet paper, napkins or paper towels.

Putting bricks/water bottles in the toilet tank to save water flushing. Often as not you end up doing it twice, or having to plunge.

Old 04-23-2023, 08:43 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

Cheaping out on toilet paper, napkins or paper towels.

I have a friend who only buys the cheapest paper towels.
For more almost 20 years now, I can't persuade her to switch to Brawny or Bounty -- or heaven forbid Viva!

I even bought them all, took them to her house and did a performance/comparison/quality test.
I showed her that you use more of the cheap ones -- to only one of the brand name.

She says she just can't bring herself to pay that much a paper towel.

We chuckle about it even to this day.

Old 04-24-2023, 02:39 PM

238 posts, read 171,987 times
Buying cheapest brand of grocery items. I stopped when I started reading the ingredients.

Old 04-24-2023, 03:10 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaflicker View Post
Buying cheapest brand of grocery items. I stopped when I started reading the ingredients.
My husband did this at Costco when looking for a dessert to buy, the ingredients were mostly chemical in name. We joined Costco to buy my hearing aids, it's too far to drive to shop there weekly and with only 2 of us to shop for it's just not a good store to do that.

Old 04-28-2023, 07:44 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,396,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You should do what the Japanese do. Take a quick shower to wash off dirt and oil, then soak in a hot tub for as long as you like.

They reuse and reheat the tub water, by the way.
Actually they maintain the heat in the tub with a thermal cover. You would do that too. Electric bills in Japan are absolutely brutal.

My frugal fail was buying a can crusher. I was going to crush my cans and go to the scrap yard. I haven't been one time and have a bunch of garbage bags of nasty, dirty, cans. I did it when I was poor as a kid but it just isn't worth ruining my car.

As far as waiting for water to get hot and saving the water before that. I use a pass through water heater, which I highly recommend. It can take a little longer to heat u0 in the height of winter the first time as my water line is in the cold. It wouldn't be worth saving the water as I am allowed some thing like 2,000 gallons per month before they begin charging extra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living