Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2024, 10:04 AM

32,707 posts, read 48,291,572 times

Advertisements

My spending is pretty lean. I'm not buying much that isn't needed.

I could cut the dog food bill, but there is a balance there. The dogs are fed healthy food and in return I don't have any vet bills.

My son and I share a phone bill, but both of us need our phones for business, so that couldn't be cut.

There are heath issues and allergies so it would be hard to cut the grocery bill, although I get good bang for the buck with groceries.

I need the internet for business, so that has to stay. My family gets several subscription TV services that are included with the cell phone plan, so getting rid of the TV wouldn't save anything.

I might be able to get a couple of dollars off the electric bill, but not much. There isn't much waste there. Heat is a necessity and can't be turned down much from where it is already set.

Driving isn't done frivolously. The gasoline bill can't really be cut. Oil changes and car service are already done at home.

I have spent almost $200 on a hobby this year, and I could give the hobby up, but I've already paid most of the expense involved.

I've spent quite a bit on gardening, but that comes back this summer in fresh fruits and veggies, so reduces the grocery store bill. I did spend about $200 this year on flowering plants, but those will be good for many years and that money is already spent and can't be spent again. I've spent nearly $300 this year on fruit trees, but that's the end of that because there is no more room to plant fruit trees, and they will help cut the cost of the grocery bill.

I'd love to cut the tax bills which is where a lot of my money goes, but I can't figure out how to get the government to cooperate on that. Ditto for insurance. The insurance bill has gone up a lot, but I don't think it is such a good idea to stop paying the insurance.

I do drink a little bit of soda pop. I could give that up and save about $2-3 a week. I already drink mostly water and sometimes iced tea, which is really cheap to make.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 04-04-2024 at 10:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 01:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,713 posts, read 81,578,903 times
We are currently saving about $5,000/month, with about half going into 401 & 457, the rest into two different credit union savings accounts. We have not dropped or reduced anything, still able to pay cash without using credit cards. That will only last for another few months, however, until I retire, and we have our income cut by about 45%. Then we'll sell this house and pay cash with the equity to downsize, so no mortgage will save us $2,700/month from our current expenses. Assuming all else is equal, with SS and our pensions we will probably be fine, taking only the minimum distributions from the 401, 457 and IRA, and hopefully put most of that into savings.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:13 PM

37,539 posts, read 61,583,568 times
I do not know how much we could save.

We are already in the habit of doing those things.

I have been brewing alcohol since the 70's.

We garden and raise livestock. My Dw took courses on butchering, as it turned out she LOVES butchering. But most of our animals end up going to a USDA meat processor so that our meat can be sold at Farmer's Markets.

I installed solar power on our home years ago [which was very expensive] but the tax write-offs were pretty sweet. Then later we bought a plugin sedan which we recharge at home, and that saves us a bunch of gasoline.

My Dw never really got used to using make-up, so she has never worn any. She has had one perm done to her hair, and that was the son of a tenant who was going through beauty school doing it as a school project for free. [she has waist-length hair]

Old 04-05-2024, 09:57 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,094,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, like you, we could cut out alcohol and save half our grocery bill but we don't, lol.
Same here, that's pretty much my one splurge. I enjoy drinking a few beers at the end of the day, it's a small reward for putting up with the BS of everyday life, when I can afford it. Sometimes I can't. In every other regard I'm already frugal so don't have any costly habits or expenses to begin with.

This is a great thread topic and I occasionally think of this very thing...how could I save more money? Usually the answer is "what for?" I'd rather use and enjoy what little I have now rather than squirreling it away for some unknown and non-guaranteed future life.

Old 04-06-2024, 05:16 AM

884 posts, read 772,777 times
In addition to the 12% we already save, we could cut about $2000 more if needed.

Old 04-14-2024, 03:29 PM

7,264 posts, read 4,640,175 times
I could also save money if I quit traveling. In the past two years I went to Europe twice and will go again in 25. This year I am just flying across the country twice to see two of my sons.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:12 AM

22,413 posts, read 29,551,963 times
A lot

Old 04-20-2024, 08:35 PM

956 posts, read 795,326 times
If you're living a frugal life, there should be little excess spending in your budget.

About the only things I could cut from my budget without affecting my health (like eating less or substituting cheap unhealthy food for fresh fruits and veggies or stop taking supplements), would be to stop tipping my condo staff at Christmas and stop visiting my relatives once per year to save on the train fare.

Old 04-21-2024, 02:59 AM

107,045 posts, read 109,362,256 times
there is a fine line between frugal and cheap .

frugal is where you only deny yourself from certain things or comforts or strive to make every dollar count , cheap is when you hurt others by not parting with that dollar.

a co worker refuses to buy an air conditioner because he doesn’t want to pay to run it so his wife suffers by it .

stopping tipping to those who earn a living by it when you use there services hurts them .

to me that isn’t frugal , it’s just cheap..

Old 04-21-2024, 03:34 AM

50,439 posts, read 64,242,361 times
In a normal month I could save about $500-$700. if I’m careful, but we’ve had a very expensive first quarter of the year, so I haven’t been able to do it, since last November. Hopefully by next month I’ll be back on track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living