Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 08:52 PM

2,113 posts, read 1,043,290 times

Advertisements

As others mentioned, I don't especially want the *most* food, just a normal portion for a fair price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Supermarkets have sandwiches and side dishes and most have hot food to go, no lines, not expensive.
I don't eat out often, but if I really need to grab something quick I go to my local supermarket deli. Sandwiches are $5-6 and a cup of soup $3. So for ten bucks it's a decent lunch. The same thing at a sit down restaurant could easily hit $20 now.

Sometimes I treat myself to a breakfast burrito at the Mexican cafe. A year ago it was only $5, now it's $6.50 but at least it's the same size and quality, they aren't skimping on ingredients. It's worth $6.50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 09:10 PM

48,563 posts, read 34,935,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
“Most Food for Your $ at Restaurants/Eateries?”
Don’t spend $ , spend € instead.
I find the best restaurant deals are in southern Europe.
The bus fare is kinda high.

I found the quality of food versus the price in Scotland great. But, like you, I live in the US, so we deal with the food/quality prices here.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-01-2024, 10:13 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,887,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
So we all know things are sky high, but we may still like to eat out, get takeout, etc. sometimes. What are the places where you can get the most food for your $$$?

Panda Express - You can get a good amount of food...5 large containers for $35 & that's their regular price. Sometimes they have a promo for $30! (Now their food may not taste the very best, but I think it's just good enough.)

Subway - If you have a coupon that comes in the mail, you can get 3 footlongs for just undr $20. They have coupons for 2 of them too.

Then, of course catch whatever other deals are going on at the time!
Pep pizza at CostCo.

A rotisserie chicken at, dare I say it, COSTCO!

A hotdog at CostCo.

A chicken bake, at you-know-where, CostCo!

Caesar chicken salad isn't a bad deal either.

Then, there's all the smoothies and berry frosty things for a buck.

You know, it doesn't "cost" to join a membership, it "pays."

Old 05-01-2024, 10:20 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,887,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

Sometimes I treat myself to a breakfast burrito at the Mexican cafe. A year ago it was only $5, now it's $6.50 but at least it's the same size and quality, they aren't skimping on ingredients. It's worth $6.50.
Every bit of $14.50 here. Every bit. (As of last Saturday.)

Old 05-01-2024, 11:05 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,317,791 times
Winco Foods has a good sandwiches and salads from $2.75-4.50.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:35 PM

2,113 posts, read 1,043,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Every bit of $14.50 here. Every bit. (As of last Saturday.)
There was another Mexican place I tried out...once...a couple months ago. Their equivalent of the $6.50 burrito I usually get at another cafe ended up costing me almost $13, for a simple breakfast burrito with egg/potato/avocado. I wasn't impressed. Then a few weeks later I heard they were closing after less than two years in business. Probably spent too much on rent, advertising, and signage (big electric sign), while the other taco shop is run by a family and is modest in their appearance. Small building, hand-written menu up on the wall.

Old 05-02-2024, 07:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Impressed at the size of the $2.99 side salad at a City BBQ yesterday.

Quantity is no longer a driver for us, tho as an 17 yr old Samoa Cookhouse (eureka, CA_ served family style) was a welcome sight while on a cross country MC ride. My riding partner wanted a cream pie, I wanted a fruit pie. We each got our own (entire pie).... And of course we ate the entire pie! 50 yrs later, still carrying it.

Today... Eating out is usually early Happy Hour.

Costco is good idea too.

Old 05-02-2024, 10:05 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
The most food for your dollar is probably the all-you-can-eat smorgasbord places.

To really stretch the budget, try the deli at the supermarket. All of ours have an 8 piece fried chicken for $8 or less and it is excellent fried chicken. Many have seating, or you can take it to a local park and have a picnic. Most people would end up with leftover chicken for the next day.

Costco is always the best bargain, if you don't mind the noise and the crowds. Their food at the food court is good quality and low priced.

My local Taco Bell offers special deals on combos, if you watch the ads. Taco Bell is one of the places that varies greatly in their quality. Some are awful, but my local one serves good food. Not really Mexican food, but it is good American fake Mexican food.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:12 AM

14,352 posts, read 11,747,643 times
You definitely can't beat those $4.99 Costco rotisserie chickens. Now that there are only three people at home, we can get two good meals from one chicken.

For myself, on those rare occasions when I crave "junk" food, I get a hamburger from In-n-Out, animal style. No fries, no soft drink. One burger is $3.50 exactly and man does it taste good.

Otherwise, when we eat out, which is rare, we go to good-quality restaurants we like (not chains!) and just suck up the cost. It's a treat.

I don't get breakfast out at all because it makes me cry when I see how much they charge for a couple of eggs scrambled up with onions and peppers, maybe a little bacon, and a piece of toast. I could make that just as well for pennies at home.

Old 05-02-2024, 11:49 AM

24,647 posts, read 10,980,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Pep pizza at CostCo.

A rotisserie chicken at, dare I say it, COSTCO!

A hotdog at CostCo.

A chicken bake, at you-know-where, CostCo!

Caesar chicken salad isn't a bad deal either.

Then, there's all the smoothies and berry frosty things for a buck.

You know, it doesn't "cost" to join a membership, it "pays."
You really eat there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living