Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:31 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends in a modest house than to eat alone in a mansion.
Yeah, because there are no other wealthy folks to befriend!? Generally the wealthy associate with the wealthy.

The US is rather stratified, people usually spend their days with people in the same socio-economic class as themselves.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:26 AM

993 posts, read 2,291,157 times
I know when I used to work at a bank, we had some pretty well-to-do customers that bought some of their clothes at garage sales. I would consider that frugal.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
I know when I used to work at a bank, we had some pretty well-to-do customers that bought some of their clothes at garage sales. I would consider that frugal.
We lived in West TX for quite a few years and there were many a multi-Millionaire who was big in Cattle, Ranching & Oil who you would never know had a fortune. These guys would come into town wearing overalls, driving an old pickup and were on the Board of Directors at the local bank.

One thing you learn in small towns is you never talk bad about anyone. They are usually all related or grew up together.

So a little bit determines if they are City or Country people.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:58 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yeah, because there are no other wealthy folks to befriend!? Generally the wealthy associate with the wealthy.

The US is rather stratified, people usually spend their days with people in the same socio-economic class as themselves.
That's a very narrow (and flawed) viewpoint.

If you take the time to study people, you'll find that people typically spend their days with people who have similar interests. Type As will spend time with Type As, and conspiracy theorists will spend time with conspiracy theorists. Sports nuts spend time with sports nuts, and women who love to shop spend time with other women who love to shop. This human trait is the reason that CD forums is set up the way it is rather than grouping posts into folders sorted by socioeconomic stratus.

I'll grant that socioeconomic factors sometimes dictate what you can or cannot do as a hobby, but that isn't always the case. I love to cook (and eat), and I'll happily spend time with somebody from a richer or poorer background in the quest for the perfect recipe, but you couldn't pay me enough money to spend a week with somebody of my own class who can't talk about anything but shoes.

If a rich person happens to be frugal, there's a good chance that they'll choose to associate with another frugal person over the snobs down at the yacht club.

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 10-28-2009 at 04:15 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,804,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
There are some very wealthy people who live like that.

If you flash your wealth around all the time, its hard to make friends because people will either think you're showing off, be envious, feel insecure, or try to take your wealth away. If you make a conscious effort not to stand above your neighbors, you can avoid those pitfalls and make good friends.

I don't know about you, but I'd much rather have Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends in a modest house than to eat alone in a mansion.
Maybe the average Joe will get intimidated mingling with the show off folks?

You can't really show off your wealth unless you explain the assets - liability equation.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There are 3 generations of rich in a family:

1st Generation is frugal, works hard and builds a great business. Teaches kids the value of a buck.

2nd Generation just tries not to screw it up and lives a pretty nice lifestyle. Raises spoiled kids.

3rd Generation is the spoiled kids who did not earn it, has no concept of how to keep it going, lives lavishly, parties hard, does drugs and files bankruptcy. They blow everything Grand Pa worked to build.

Not all rich folks are frugal but the ones who earned it usually are.
I would rather live a 1st generation lifestyle.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Depends what you mean by frugal, but almost everyone I know that is wealthy is not frugal in the sense that people seem to use the word here.
Living below your means.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:

That may go for business purposes? What about for fun?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post

or Thrift shops.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:04 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
It's not what you make, it's what you keep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living