Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times

Advertisements

1. Always shop at Dollar Tree first.
2. Take a list when you shop at Wal-Mart or Target, if it not on the list, forget it.
3. Shop the ads for BOGO at Publix/Lucky/Albertsons/Safeway.
4. Check out things on ad at Costco, or on sale. I got boneless chik breasts there last week, $2 a lb, one day before expiration date.

Just my shopping plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,054 times
Local Asian markets and Fresh N' Easy (meat products) have the cheapest groceries in my area. $0.25-$.30 something a pack or a pound on vegetables and fruits on sales is quite common in Asian markets. I don't think I have seen anything like that in regular markets.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Forget Walmart,ALdI's IS the cheapest supermarket anyone can go too for staples.
Plus ,who really wants too deal with that large crowd at Walmart?
There is way too much going on at Wally's to even concentrate on anything.
People getting there nails done,cashing checks,shopping for eyeglasses and clothes get to be way to much.

I also don't consider Costco,BJ's,and Sam Club cheap either.
Some of the bulk items cost more than if you had bought 5 single items.

Dollar Tree can have good deals on snack foods,but that's about it.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:07 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Forget Walmart,ALdI's IS the cheapest supermarket anyone can go too for staples.
Plus ,who really wants too deal with that large crowd at Walmart?
There is way too much going on at Wally's to even concentrate on anything.
People getting there nails done,cashing checks,shopping for eyeglasses and clothes get to be way to much.
ALDI really is a great store to buy a lot of one's staple items. Don't like the meats there, but the quality of their butter, cheeses, chips, salsa, guacamole, crackers and pantry items is on par with any name brand and at just about half the price. Once I started shopping there I was amazed at how good their products are. They also stock produce in season, and again, at the best price anywhere, including my little farm stand. I go there every three weeks or so and stock up on a lot of these items and then buy my meats and other items at Super Target. Really works for me.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,969,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
No, it's not. I don't eat junk food, and don't feed it to him. High quality pet food is much better than junk grocery pet food.
If you are lucky enough to be able to afford it, you're right. We have a cat who is 13 yrs and started looking that old. He bounced back on a regular diet of the more costly pet store cat foods. Our Shop Rite supermarket also shaves (you can request shaved cold cuts) a quarter pound of imported ham for him once a week. He gets half of that at a sitting, as an appetizer often.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
1. Always shop at Dollar Tree first.
2. Take a list when you shop at Wal-Mart or Target, if it not on the list, forget it.
3. Shop the ads for BOGO at Publix/Lucky/Albertsons/Safeway.
4. Check out things on ad at Costco, or on sale. I got boneless chik breasts there last week, $2 a lb, one day before expiration date.

Just my shopping plan.
We go to Restaurant Depot and get boneless chicken breasts for $0.59/lb.. but u gotta buy 40lbs

Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Trader Joe's saves me a lot--organic chicken for 7 bucks (2 1/2#). Olive oil, cereals, flax meal, granola bars, fish (salmon, swordfish) tea, soy milk, toilet paper--all stuff cheaper than the chain grocery stores and healthier. And, their prices don't go up too much at one time. Some stuff stays the same for years...

Old 11-09-2011, 10:51 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Some places don't have an Aldi's or Trader Joe's..I don't think that either one of those stores is within 3 states of me. I agree, I avoided Wal-Mart and Target, would not step in those stores when I lived in a high density area...My Mom came to see me, she loves Wal-Mart, I told her forget it...it took a half a day to get out of that place.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:54 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
No Aldi's
No Trader Joe's
No Kroger's
No Dollar Tree
No Publix
No Lucky's
No Albertson's
The nearest one of any of those is at least 2,500 miles away. I think there is a Whole Foods on Oahu now so that's only several hundred miles away but we'd need a boat to get there. Or pay plane fare.

No super walmart, either - although there is a regular Walmart fifty miles away but I only go in there to look at WalMartians.

But we do have a local butcher with grass fed cows, an Asian store, two farmer's markets and a small locally owned grocery store. At the next town over (fifteen miles away) there is a larger locally owned grocery store as well as a Foodland. They aren't locally owned since they originate from Oahu and not this island. We also have friends who raise cows and lambs and there is a local slaughterhouse to process them so sometimes we get meat from them, too. Other friends have honeybees. Other friends grow hydroponic lettuce. It's nice to know exactly where one's food comes from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living