Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 10:05 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,073,249 times

Advertisements

I have been keeping track of prices of generics and brand-names at discount supermarkets like Aldi, local supermarket chains like Kroger, Ralphs, etc, and superstores like Super Walmarts and Super Targets.

In general, the breakdown goes like this:

Supermarket (Reference Value): 100%
Discount Supermarkets: 75-100% of supermarket price.
Superstore: 120-150% of supermarket price.

It astonishes me that anyone shops for food at superstores. Generally the produce is older, shipped further (often from foreign suppliers--with who knows what kind of safety controls--processed through US distributors). The meats are almost always pre-packaged (and thus you can assume they are also older). Processed foods are the same, but they cost about 30% more than at the supermarket. "Sale pricing" bring a few items down to 110 - 120% of the supermarket pricing, but few things are usually on sale. Bulk sales can bring items down below regular supermarket prices, however, supermarket sale pricing and bulk pricing almost always keeps every item lower than what you will find at a superstore. And then there's coupons...

Discount supermarkets are a toss-up. Because they stock fewer items and off-brands, usually there are a dozen or so staples which will always be cheaper if bought from a discount supermarket. When they are in stock and/or on sale, produce in discount supermarkets can be up to 50% cheaper than in regular supermarkets.

I wonder if these trends are only regional. This information comes from the Midwest. Has anyone else compared superstore and supermarket pricing in other regions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 10:40 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,129,324 times
Most people who coupon heavily have already discovered this, although with some exceptions. For the most part, however, Wallyworld and big box stores truly aren't competitive with supermarkets.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:10 AM

9,384 posts, read 14,338,778 times
Generally speaking, it is true, Walmart does not have the lowest prices on fresh fruits and vegetables, but, depending on where you live, still less expensive than supermarkets.

I live in a state where the growing season is 10-11 months of the year and the best place to buy fresh fruit and vegetables is at independent stands, by passing both Walmart and the supermarkets. Walmart starting becoming more competitive in this area when it began buying more from local producers.

This year's cold spells extending to the deep south of the US will hurt.

True, the quality of the meats at a full-service supermarket is usually better than at Walmart, though it often has great deals on turkeys.

In short, where I live at least, Walmart for dry and household goods, independent stands for fresh fruits and vegetables, and full-service supermarkets for meats and fish.

I don't know if in the US there are still places with fresh fish markets at point of delivery, like it used to be in some coastal cities.

Good Luck!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:34 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,110,527 times
Walmart and Target generally have cheaper prices on non-food items and some non-perishable items. They don't do as well on the perishable items.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,098,066 times
I find WM's everyday prices higher, but often their sale prices on national brands are lower than sales at our regional groceries.

Our Target's food sections are so small I don't really use them, but what I see is pretty pricey.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:51 AM

16,402 posts, read 30,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I have been keeping track of prices of generics and brand-names at discount supermarkets like Aldi, local supermarket chains like Kroger, Ralphs, etc, and superstores like Super Walmarts and Super Targets.

In general, the breakdown goes like this:

Supermarket (Reference Value): 100%
Discount Supermarkets: 75-100% of supermarket price.
Superstore: 120-150% of supermarket price.

It astonishes me that anyone shops for food at superstores. Generally the produce is older, shipped further (often from foreign suppliers--with who knows what kind of safety controls--processed through US distributors). The meats are almost always pre-packaged (and thus you can assume they are also older). Processed foods are the same, but they cost about 30% more than at the supermarket. "Sale pricing" bring a few items down to 110 - 120% of the supermarket pricing, but few things are usually on sale. Bulk sales can bring items down below regular supermarket prices, however, supermarket sale pricing and bulk pricing almost always keeps every item lower than what you will find at a superstore. And then there's coupons...

Discount supermarkets are a toss-up. Because they stock fewer items and off-brands, usually there are a dozen or so staples which will always be cheaper if bought from a discount supermarket. When they are in stock and/or on sale, produce in discount supermarkets can be up to 50% cheaper than in regular supermarkets.

I wonder if these trends are only regional. This information comes from the Midwest. Has anyone else compared superstore and supermarket pricing in other regions?

There are so many inaccuracies in this post so I will address ONLY two of them.

Walmart and other large markets source a substantial amount of its produce from local vendors when such produce is available. In the midwest, that represents approximately FOUR MONTHS of the year. When local is NOT available, Walmart and other supermarket chains go out on the market and buy from what is available in the markets any given week.

The only significant IMPORTED produce in the markets these days are from Mexico and Canada, Central America for bananas and other tropical fruit, and Chile for soft fruits (once they get over the earthquakes). Sure, you can bring in strawberries from New Zealand or tomatoes from Belgium and the Netherlands but to do so is extremely expensive. Few people are willing to pay $10/lb for tomatoes.

At this time of year, with all the weather issues in Florida and the earthquakes in Chile, producers are scrambling to find produce at a price that the average person can afford.

Walmart practices a policy of "Everyday Low Pricing" or EDLP. In general, that means that they price goods that will produce the desired profit that they are seeking. They do NOT adjust their prices or offer sales or the like. They do NOT have sale pricing.

The Big 3 grocery oligarchy (Krogers, SuperValu, and Safeway) practice promotional pricing. Their everyday prices are HIGHER than Walmart and the EDLP folks but they offer a few specials, usually loss-leaders where they sell a few items below cost to generate a lot of buzz. In general, research has shown that consumers prefer to go to one grocery store each week. In other words, it is like the Thanksgiving sales. They sell you a turkey ($1.09 at wholesale) for $0.39 and get you on all the other things that you will buy. (That is why you have the MINIMUM purchase requirements.)

Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,062,435 times
On a personal note, I find that shopping the superstores increases my overall spending for the month because it's so easy to get distracted by all the non-essentials, which somehow find a way into my cart despite my best efforts to stick to the list.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 03-07-2010 at 08:14 AM..

Old 03-07-2010, 08:13 AM

257 posts, read 534,245 times
You have to know your prices for your region/city. I shop at WalMart and my local grocery store. I'm at both places enough to have a general idea who has what cheaper

Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,883,864 times
Where I shop which has been in several different cities in the past... Walmart has been about, in general, 20-30% cheaper... There are always specific items that are more expensive, but in general, the lower cost items (non-brand name) are cheaper than other grocery stores BUT brand name items tend to be the same price, cheaper, or more expensive (which the OP probably bought)... I do note that when chain grocery stores have "specials" or "sale" items then they are cheaper than Walmart... what I do notice is that local grocery chains tend not to be CONSISTENT... and that's what's killing them... Walmart is consistent to the nth degree... If you are going to offer something cheap, make sure its cheap EVERY SINGLE DAY... Walmart may be a little expensive but at least its consistent and I can always balance it with cheaper goods, making Walmart, overall, CHEAPER... Grocery stores don't carry cheaper goods and their more expensive goods vary too much in price each week, making them more expensive to shop... I have done my comparison shopping and my wallet doesn't lie... I spend 20-30% more at grocery stores than Walmart because they aren't consistent in their prices and don't carry cheaper foods... so I shop at Walmart for most of my grocery items and buy meats when I see them on sale at local grocery stores... I can play their games and win...

Old 03-07-2010, 09:05 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,707,717 times
I like my coop. I can't stand buying crap just because it is cheap. I would rather eat half the amount and eat quality fresh fruits and veggies than the junk some people think they need to buy like hamburger helper or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living