Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,750,733 times

Advertisements

I have lived the gamut of mobile homes , condo and a brand new home.

When I came to SC I stayed in a trailer ( cheap living ) and considered even buying at least once or twice ( really low prices but old and in poor shape ) .

I live in a modular home now. The owner built these . They look just like a house ! Love it !

Now the downside of buying a MH.

When I was renting that old mobile home the insurance company would not INSURE it ! Because it was old. Like 80's model.

So be careful BUYING an old mobile home,. Call your insurance company and find out if the year would be insured.

MH's are like cars. They depreciate. Not that home buying is an investment for anyone these days.

To me a home is where you live , where you hang your head and its your HOME. Whatever you pick. It should not be an investment in this volatile market.

MH with land is an awesome idea. You can later build a real house while you live in the MH. You can even buy a newer MH , they are beautiful ! Think Clayton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:55 PM

268 posts, read 1,067,251 times
Owning MH is a great investment compared to renting. If you only sell it for half of what you paid for it, you get nothing back from rent.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Mobile home for under $10K is probably just little better than a tent...
Those things do not last their loan. Older ones are poorly insulated. In my opinion they are money pit. Maybe o.k. for a skilled handyman who will do never ending patch work on it.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:58 PM

23,218 posts, read 29,031,323 times
Anyone ever heard of mobile home co-ops?

I made a trip to Tucson a few years back, looking at parks where you own the land and mobile home, with minimum association fees, then I looked at the parks with high rent lot and there was one park that was billed a mobile home co-op, which I liked the best as it was in the inner city, walking distance to two grocery stores.

The mobile homes in that community were more expensive than the lot rent parks, and the association fees were like $150 a month. Anyone else heard of these co-op mobile home communities and what advantage they may have? I believe you have to be approved by the board to live there, just like a co-op apartment building.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:12 PM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times
A cooperative mobile home park is owned equally by all of the residents of the park on a share basis. This form of ownership is similar to a condominium, where each person pays a small monthly fee for the upkeep of the entire park but no rent. Many Florida mobile home parks are set up as cooperatives, including the following three parks for those 55 and older in the southeast region of the state.
Residents can own a share or just pay lot rent. They also can rent a home from an owner or rent an RV site.

55 Active Adult Retirement Communities in Florida, Active Senior Adult Retirement Homes & Community
Cooperative Mobile Home Parks in Southeast Florida | eHow.com
Nonprofit and Cooperative Mobile Home Parks: Housing Division, Vermont Department of Housing & Community Affairs (http://www.dhca.state.vt.us/Housing/vacantmhlots.htm - broken link)
Cooperative Housing in Davis, California
NAHC - What is a Housing Cooperative? info about co-op

Old 06-06-2010, 10:10 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,585 times
I've lived in mobile homes and even bought a brand new Palm Harbor once. You have to consider the maintenance. They go down hill fast. In 5 years the roof was buckling and it needed a complete redo. They do not withstand the weather like a normal home. It's okay for a temporary fix as you are doing now...but I wouldn't buy one for the long haul. Let's face it they are a house on wheels....I"m telling it like it is. And they are just like a car.....depreciate the same! By the time I paid the mortgage and the land payment and taxes (TX charges property tax on MH's) I could have had a house! Don't do it!

Last edited by Littlelu; 06-06-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 04:22 PM

171 posts, read 444,392 times
If you know what you're doing and are reasonably handy, then go for it. People spend more on cars.

IMO though you might as well try to get a FREE trailer vs one you pay $5k or $10k for. If you're talented enough to handle rewiring and that sort of labor, might as well start from free and fix it up.

I personally think any safe form of shelter that you own outright is worth it. Unless you're able to keep scoring that kinds of $225 a month rent for years on end.

I'm sure someone also mentioned that even with a free trailer and inexpensive land, in most areas you're going to pay a tidy sum for sewer, well, etc. unless you also have access to those skills personally or through barter.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:35 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times
I guess you could put it in perspective this way: our townhome has gone down in value about 60k since 2005.

For that you could have four of these arranged with a courtyard in the middle, then spend the remaining 10k connecting 'em and beautifying your new private outdoor oasis with some filtered shade about it and nice plants.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:51 PM

171 posts, read 444,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I guess you could put it in perspective this way: our townhome has gone down in value about 60k since 2005.

For that you could have four of these arranged with a courtyard in the middle, then spend the remaining 10k connecting 'em and beautifying your new private outdoor oasis with some filtered shade about it and nice plants.
That sounds pretty cool, actually~

Old 07-04-2010, 04:10 PM

318 posts, read 870,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

LMAO!! You could probably find one of those in Taylor, Michigan, where I spent a few years growing up. I was raised as a hick, but that's a 'lil too extreme for me. Here in Alamosa, the most I've seen is 2 trailers "connected" on one lot. Then again, out here people regularly live in busses and RVs so to have a trailer--let alone two--means you're doing pretty good out here. But eh, my dream is to live in Louisiana in a place that's just a 'lil bit more civilized, so I won't have quite as many options as these folks do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living