Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:06 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
Sorry for the late reply; absolutely.

Scholarships! I'm from Detroit but because my dad lives out here in Alamosa in the sticks, I qualified for in-state tuition. It was cheaper for me to go here than to go to Berea College, another college I heartily considered that is FREE minus room and board.

So, I just worked my ass off and sent out tons and tons of scholarships apps. I was blessed with the ability to write, I have great recs, and I have a f*ked up life story that seems to knot everyone's heart up and thus received a whole ton of scholarship cash. Hell, I even had so much scholarship money this year that I went to Uganda for a semester on the house, including airfare!
(Sorry for thread hijack...)

I went to Mesa State College in western Colorado, it is similar to the college in Alamosa. I graduated a year ago completely debt free. It seemed that a low income, high gpa, non-traditional, female science student who applies for every scholarship and grant can get a lot of free money for college! Yeah, one semester I got a check for $4200 after the tuition and fees were paid out of my award. I estimate I got $30k-$40k in scholaships and grants while I was in school.

I got to know the director of Financial Aid and he told me that a sob story helps in getting scholaships.

Since the economy tanked the salad days of financial aid may be over though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 06:47 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,191 times
Mobile home for 10K, bad investment. Why not just rent a mobile home or comperable apartment for 400$. You could live for about 2.5 years without having to worry about reselling the 10K for something like 5K.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:56 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Mobile home for 10K, bad investment. Why not just rent a mobile home or comperable apartment for 400$. You could live for about 2.5 years without having to worry about reselling the 10K for something like 5K.
After 30 months, you will have paid $12k in rent and have nothing to show for it. And that is assuming that the rent has not increased over that time period.

And where around most campuses are their apartments for $400?

The owner of the mobile home will be able to sell it or continue to live in it for another few years.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:18 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
In the early 80's I bought a 1969 Holiday Mobile home. It was in mint condition, still like new! The former owners took excellent care of it, had real wood cabinets, real wood panelings on the walls and was just lovely. I paid $7500 for it when I bought it. I lived in it for 17 years and loved every minute of it. I sold it and got $4500 for it. I sold it because I had to move to another state to help my sister take care of our sick mother. 6 years later I moved back here and used that $4500 as a down payment on the mobile home I now live in... (Bought this one brand new, had it financed for 7 years and paid it off in about 4)

I LOVE living in mobile homes. They suit my needs, are comfortable, utilities are reasonable and if I don't like where I am, I can MOVE! I only moved that first one once and plan to only move this one once.

I do not need big, fine and fancy. There is no one I need to impress with what I own. What does impress people is my house is paid for and so is my van. I owe nobody!

Just make your plan and stick to it. I always had a plan for my life and have stuck to it, like I said... there is NOBODY I need to impress or please but myself. I would lots rather live in a mobile home that is paid for than live in a big house with a 30 year mortgage.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
In the early 80's I bought a 1969 Holiday Mobile home. It was in mint condition, still like new! The former owners took excellent care of it, had real wood cabinets, real wood panelings on the walls and was just lovely. I paid $7500 for it when I bought it. I lived in it for 17 years and loved every minute of it. I sold it and got $4500 for it. I sold it because I had to move to another state to help my sister take care of our sick mother. 6 years later I moved back here and used that $4500 as a down payment on the mobile home I now live in... (Bought this one brand new, had it financed for 7 years and paid it off in about 4)
$3k for 17 years of use. That works our to under $200 per year. Not bad.

However, what did you pay for ground rent, property tax and maintenance? I bet that it worked out to less than $200 per month?

It sure beats renting an apartment, IMO.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:05 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Buy your own land and build one of these:

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Lasts 100+ years, and its pretty much indestructible. Costs substantially cheaper than stick build homes.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
Quote:
However, what did you pay for ground rent, property tax and maintenance? I bet that it worked out to less than $200 per month?

It sure beats renting an apartment, IMO.
LOL! The MOST rent I paid for where I had that old one was $45 a month! Water & sewage included.

Where I am now I am paying $225 a month (Water, sewage and garbage included) . THAT is killing me! I feel like I have bought and paid for this piece of property but it STILL belongs to someone else. I DO have a place to put it that will be free but working like I do and living alone, I am safer and so is my house with neighbors as close as they are right now. Before I retire I will move it where I won't have to pay rent anymore.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Where I am now I am paying $225 a month (Water, sewage and garbage included) . THAT is killing me! I feel like I have bought and paid for this piece of property but it STILL belongs to someone else. I DO have a place to put it that will be free but working like I do and living alone, I am safer and so is my house with neighbors as close as they are right now. Before I retire I will move it where I won't have to pay rent anymore.

It is still a great deal. How many people pay a whole lot more than that in rent?

Do realize that once you buy your own land, the county assessor will meat you and start sending you a payment book.

BTW, $225 doesn't sound all that bad, We pay $160 for garbage, lawn care, snow removal, and insurance in a condo.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:07 PM

1,061 posts, read 2,250,615 times
Quote:

I LOVE living in mobile homes. They suit my needs, are comfortable, utilities are reasonable and if I don't like where I am, I can MOVE! I only moved that first one once and plan to only move this one once.

I do not need big, fine and fancy. There is no one I need to impress with what I own. What does impress people is my house is paid for and so is my van. I owe nobody!

Just make your plan and stick to it. I always had a plan for my life and have stuck to it, like I said... there is NOBODY I need to impress or please but myself. I would lots rather live in a mobile home that is paid for than live in a big house with a 30 year mortgage.
I AGREE! When I mention this type of stuff to close family members and friends they make comments like "Oh no, I could not live in a trailer". Well, If I stick with my plan that I've had for many many years now, I will be mortgage free in less than 10 years, and I live in a townhouse/villa home not even a mobile home. However, in the distant future, maybe near future if necessary, I may be selling my home and downsizing to a mobile home. Heck, I have even considered buying a camper type mobile home in another state to live seasonally if I decide to be a snow bird when I retire.

If necessary, I have no problem downsizing now if I had to. But my wife on the other hand, is not all that thrilled about the idea right now. In the end, I think she will go for it when she realizes she doesn't have work hard, or work at all if downsizing was to occur sooner rather than later.

Peace of mind, minimal stress due to finances, and having more time to do what I want, when I want is what I am seeking in the future; hopefully, near future.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:25 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
I didn't read all of the posts on here, but I think what it really comes down to is; if you are looking to buy a home, and eventually buy "up" at some point, or want something that will appreciate as opposed to depreciation, then a mobile home might not be a good idea.

On the other hand...if you want something dependable, to give you shelter, aren't worried about impressing anyone, and want to live your life on your terms without saddling yourself with a 30 year mortgage, then I think a mobile home is an excellent idea.

On a side note and just as a matter of (my own) opinion...I think that sometimes people get so caught up in having "things", the toys, the gorgeous impressive home, etc. that we practically become slaves to those things, because it takes a lot of work to pay them all off. And there we are, 30 years later, paid up, exhausted, and if we're lucky our health will hold out in order to have a little time to enjoy the things that we worked so hard for, for so many years. Personally, I would rather go "simple" and live life while I can. In other words, I want to stop and smell the roses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living