Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 07:40 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I got a notification for a "volunteer opportunity" when I logged into FamilySearch today to check geographic information in their database. It turns out the research was to correct information on other member's trees without notifying the owner of the tree. The example of the kind of research I would be doing was to correct an ancestor's location that I absolutely knew nothing about based on the limited information the site provided me. The owner of the site had obviously keyed in the names of their ancestors rather than a geographic location, so any correction I might provide would be a bad guess. Needless to say, I went back to minding my own business quickly. Glad I never built my family tree on this site. They do have a wealth of information for being a free site, so I'm not totally knocking them.

Thanks for posting your experience. I do have a tree over there and have made others. Hopefully no volunteers "correct" a tree I made because I tried to do everything from sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 10:11 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I got a notification for a "volunteer opportunity" when I logged into FamilySearch today to check geographic information in their database. It turns out the research was to correct information on other member's trees without notifying the owner of the tree.
FamilySearch is a crowd source tree, users don't have individual trees, no one "owns" any part of the tree. They are asking you to contribute to the improvement of a collaborative project.

Quote:
The example of the kind of research I would be doing was to correct an ancestor's location that I absolutely knew nothing about based on the limited information the site provided me.
Well, don't do it then, but the site has no way of knowing what you know and what you don't - it's just asking you to contribute if you do have the knowledge. If you don't, then don't. You must have some connection to the ancestor in question though for the site to suggest it.

Quote:
The owner of the site
Again, there are no "owners".

Old 02-22-2022, 12:17 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I love the site because it's truly free and they often send me things THEY find and ask if I think they fit my tree. I've found out so many things I didn't know, such as true nationality and how long, long ago some of the people in my family came here. I found a relative on my husband's side who had been looking for a family connection for years. I have no one to pass a tree down to, so if it disappears, I got quite a good experience for nothing but my time.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:28 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,604,262 times
What I like about Family Search is the Mormons are serious about genealogy and I’m pretty sure they will be around long after I am gone. Hopefully the part of the global tree I filled in will live on also (documented as much as possible).

I feel with the paid services, my work is gone as soon as I stop paying or if I die.

Old 02-22-2022, 05:35 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
What I like about Family Search is the Mormons are serious about genealogy and I’m pretty sure they will be around long after I am gone. Hopefully the part of the global tree I filled in will live on also (documented as much as possible).

I feel with the paid services, my work is gone as soon as I stop paying or if I die.
No, your tree remains on the website of subscription services even if you stop paying the subscription - At Ancestry, you can even still continue building and editing your tree without a subscription (you just can't access the records). They want you to come back again some day and you won't do that if they delete all your work. As long as your tree is public, it be accessible to others and remain there probably until the site ever shuts down (which is always a possibility for FamilySearch too). Even if you die, they don't know that you've died unless a relative informs them, and even then, they're happy to let a relative take over your account and potentially start paying the subscription too. They're in the business of encouraging people to build their trees, it would be counter productive for them to delete the trees for any reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy