Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 02:14 PM

1,863 posts, read 838,994 times

Advertisements

the mormon site.
couple years ago, I had a tree that went back to the 300, yes i know most was properly fake, now i notice my tree only goes back to 1840, its like all the rest was lost. and on the mormon site there no way to copy or save the tree

did they do something in the last year to lose all this data. Is it something I did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 05:56 PM

7,679 posts, read 5,525,023 times
It’s a community tree. Anyone can make updates and corrections.

Look at the profile of your 1840 ancestor. Look down the right column. You’ll see a heading called “Latest Changes.” Expand that and then click on “Show All.” The page that appears lists, in date order, all the changes that have been made to the profile. You should be able to see who detached the parents that you remembered seeing. The reason may be stated.

Old 08-30-2021, 06:13 AM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
the mormon site.
couple years ago, I had a tree that went back to the 300, yes i know most was properly fake, now i notice my tree only goes back to 1840, its like all the rest was lost. and on the mormon site there no way to copy or save the tree

did they do something in the last year to lose all this data. Is it something I did?

The only thing you can do is install a desktop program like RootsMagic, it's free. Connect your ancestry tree to it. I don't recall if you have to first grab your ancestry downloaded tree or if you just log into ancestry to let the program download the tree that way. I know RootsMagic also syncs with family search. It's been about two years since I did it.

Family Tree Maker says it also syncs with family search but I've never used it. It's not free like RootsMagic is. A lot of people here use it, so hopefully they'll jump in to give you feedback. I went with RootsMagic because it's free, plus it also says it syncs with My heritage too. I use all three sites.

See the article Best genealogy tools of 2021 and this article Best Genealogy Software. You can also google for more articles, do a google about each software. That's what I did. I went with the program that fits my needs.

We also have a few threads about it in this section.

Family tree software threads

Third party software that connects to Ancestry

Suggest best free family tree program and browser add ons?

Old 08-31-2021, 07:20 AM

10,212 posts, read 17,867,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
the mormon site.
There is a way to copy or save the tree - there are software options that will download a portion of the FS tree. A lot of them are detailed here: https://partners.familysearch.org/so...ree_management

Quote:
The tree at FamilySearch is crowd sourced or collaborative, meaning anyone and everyone can edit any portion of it. Probably, someone who shares that ancestral branch with you saw how unrealistic the lineage back to 300 is, and lopped it off at 1840 because that's where the reliable documentation ended. I've sometimes been tempted to do so myself, but I don't want to upset people and since it's not my sole/working tree, it doesn't hugely matter to me. As mentioned, the data hasn't been lost - just detached. If you have documentation that supports the parents who were detached from that 1840 individual are the parents after all, relink them and add the documentations as sources. Of course, that doesn't verify each generation going back to 300, so there's still a chance someone else will cut the branch off again further back.

I would strongly recommend not keeping your sole/working tree at a crowd sourced tree like FS. It's great as a public, collaborative work space, but not as a private work space, which I think is a necessary part of genealogy since genealogy is so personal.

Old 08-31-2021, 09:05 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
PA2UK & Roselvr,

what do you make of this blogger's comment re the 1840/5 Gen cutoff ?

"FamilySearch has only 5 generations up on its relationship showing feature."

See https://blog.kittycooper.com/2014/06...ne-world-tree/

Old 08-31-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
PA2UK & Roselvr,

I have no idea what they mean by that - the pedigree expands as far as it needs to show every generation (though one branch at a time, which is typical), and the "view my relationship" tool definitely goes beyond 5 generations. The fan chart goes up to 7 generations, the descendancy chart includes 4 generations. I really don't know what else it would be talking about. The article looks like it's from 2014, and although it's been updated more recently, maybe they forgot to update that bit?

There is certainly no limit at FamilySearch on how far back your tree can go. You would have to ask the blog's author what they meant by that.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:09 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,603,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
PA2UK & Roselvr,

In my experience the “view my relationship” button will take you back as far as the 10th great grandparent.

Old 09-04-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
In my experience the “view my relationship” button will take you back as far as the 10th great grandparent.
It appears to go back 15 generations, which is 13th great grandparents.

"No Relationship Found
You have no direct relationship to this person in Family Tree, or your common ancestor is beyond 15 generations."

More info: "Family Tree can trace your relationship to an ancestor up to 15 generations. It will show a path based on the accuracy of the data in Family Tree."

Old 09-06-2021, 09:44 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,603,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It appears to go back 15 generations, which is 13th great grandparents.

"No Relationship Found
You have no direct relationship to this person in Family Tree, or your common ancestor is beyond 15 generations."

More info: "Family Tree can trace your relationship to an ancestor up to 15 generations. It will show a path based on the accuracy of the data in Family Tree."
Yes thanks! I just happened to be clicking around and ran across someone related to me via a 13th great grandfather, I was wrong about the depth.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:08 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
I got a notification for a "volunteer opportunity" when I logged into FamilySearch today to check geographic information in their database. It turns out the research was to correct information on other member's trees without notifying the owner of the tree. The example of the kind of research I would be doing was to correct an ancestor's location that I absolutely knew nothing about based on the limited information the site provided me. The owner of the site had obviously keyed in the names of their ancestors rather than a geographic location, so any correction I might provide would be a bad guess. Needless to say, I went back to minding my own business quickly. Glad I never built my family tree on this site. They do have a wealth of information for being a free site, so I'm not totally knocking them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy