Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 09:10 PM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times

Advertisements

Ever see a grayed over screen saying this...?

" You are currently the only DNA tested descendant connected to this ThruLine "

Early to mid 1700's birthdates and a whole lot of them.
What does it mean? Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2021, 09:59 PM

16,114 posts, read 10,779,224 times
Your cursor is resting on a person with zero descendants other than yourself.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Your cursor is resting on a person with zero descendants other than yourself.
Well zero that have an ancestry test... right?
Is it as rare as I'm thinking?

and thx for replying

Old 11-29-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

and thx for replying
They are looking only at DNA matches to you and there are none, so zero. I have many like that.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:00 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,898,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Zero that have taken AncestryDNA's test, share DNA with you, and have added and attached a viable tree for ThruLines to pick up on, yes. You won't match all of your distant cousins, and ThruLines can only work off of trees attached to the DNA test. Additionally, there needs to be enough data in other trees to make the connection from your tree to their tree.

Quote:
Not necessarily. Due to the above requirements, I have a few ancestors from that time period that are not an MRCA for any DNA matches (none that ThruLines has picked up on). Sometimes, if you make the effort, you can find ones ThruLines doesn't pick up on, either because people haven't attached their tree to their DNA test, or because there's just not enough info for ThruLines to make the connection.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Zero that have taken AncestryDNA's test, share DNA with you, and have added and attached a viable tree for ThruLines to pick up on,
Yes - good point - they need a family tree beyond themselves.

But sometimes those family trees are wrong with incorrect links and your DNA match pops up on Thrulines and you are looking at the family lines and realize that their tree latched on to the wrong person with the same name. I have a case where the link is assumed by Thrulines to be through an Edmund McSweeney in Kerry. It turns out that there were two Edmunds in the same general area born around 1819. They have my Edmund in their tree. My Edmund appears in the US about 1858. Their Edmund (and wife) disappears from their tree in Ireland in 1858 leaving a whole bunch of kids, presumably orphans. I figured, OK, maybe she died and he abandoned the family and came to the US and remarried, had a family of 3 kids and then died in 1869 as did two of the kids, of smallpox. He was dead by 1870 census and all three are in the mortality schedule. This all seemed pretty odd so I kept looking and found the other Edmund in the small town in Kerry in a property record after mine had died. It turns out that we are actually DNA matched on another Kerry family (Healy) which is not shown in their tree. Thrulines assumes that the trees are correct as it creates the link but you have to evaluate and decide if it is right.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:24 PM

5,046 posts, read 7,430,564 times
Other possibilities: that is not your ancestor, or, you didn't inherit DNA from that ancestor.

Old 01-16-2022, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Yes - good point - they need a family tree beyond themselves.

But sometimes those family trees are wrong with incorrect links and your DNA match pops up on Thrulines and you are looking at the family lines and realize that their tree latched on to the wrong person with the same name. I have a case where the link is assumed by Thrulines to be through an Edmund McSweeney in Kerry. It turns out that there were two Edmunds in the same general area born around 1819. They have my Edmund in their tree. My Edmund appears in the US about 1858. Their Edmund (and wife) disappears from their tree in Ireland in 1858 leaving a whole bunch of kids, presumably orphans. I figured, OK, maybe she died and he abandoned the family and came to the US and remarried, had a family of 3 kids and then died in 1869 as did two of the kids, of smallpox. He was dead by 1870 census and all three are in the mortality schedule. This all seemed pretty odd so I kept looking and found the other Edmund in the small town in Kerry in a property record after mine had died. It turns out that we are actually DNA matched on another Kerry family (Healy) which is not shown in their tree. Thrulines assumes that the trees are correct as it creates the link but you have to evaluate and decide if it is right.
The more you use Ancestry the more you know there are many people on the site that have NO CLUE what they are doing. It's a good reason to make a tree private. When you see trees with tens of thousands in their tree that is a red flag that who ever owns that tree does not know what they are doing. Verify as much about your entries to your tree as you can before posting if you go public.

Old 01-16-2022, 05:45 PM

37,125 posts, read 41,324,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodoodles View Post
The more you use Ancestry the more you know there are many people on the site that have NO CLUE what they are doing. It's a good reason to make a tree private. When you see trees with tens of thousands in their tree that is a red flag that who ever owns that tree does not know what they are doing. Verify as much about your entries to your tree as you can before posting if you go public.

There are people who have tens of thousands in their trees who have been doing research for decades. I have a cousin who does DAR level research. She still goes to courthouses to track down original sources. I look for such sources to evaluate a tree, not just the size of the tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy