Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 09:16 AM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times

Advertisements

I was pleasantly surprised this week to discover that Ancestry supports iOS keyboard emojis, at least in the Surname field and Suffix field.

I decided to try it out by using a particular emoji in the suffix field to represent a DNA connection. As I had tagged such connections, it was easy to search for the tag and then do a quick edit of each name to add the emoji.

The emoji is visible both in tree view and profile view. In tree view it is useful to follow a Connection up or down the tree. In profile view it is easy to glance to the right to see which parent and which children are Connections and if any siblings are also Connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 01:47 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I was pleasantly surprised this week to discover that Ancestry supports iOS keyboard emojis, at least in the Surname field and Suffix field.

I decided to try it out by using a particular emoji in the suffix field to represent a DNA connection. As I had tagged such connections, it was easy to search for the tag and then do a quick edit of each name to add the emoji.

The emoji is visible both in tree view and profile view. In tree view it is useful to follow a Connection up or down the tree. In profile view it is easy to glance to the right to see which parent and which children are Connections and if any siblings are also Connections.

Neat, thanks for posting about it. Apparently new DNA features will be announced at Roots tech this week according to an Ancestry video featuring Crista Cowan on facebook.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:21 AM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,826 times
This is also new – when you add an individual to your tree, you select New Person or From Your Tree.

Edited to add, this is new to Ancestry Pro - when you view “all people” and click on “filter”, you can select to view your entire tree by family line, direct line ancestors. Selecting “events and places” you can view all individuals on your tree from where they were born, married, death, etc.

I’m going to play around with this today.

Last edited by twins4lynn; 02-29-2024 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-29-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Neat, thanks for posting about it. Apparently new DNA features will be announced at Roots tech this week according to an Ancestry video featuring Crista Cowan on facebook.
I hope there’s an improvement to Thrulines. I have so many DNA relatives that I have identified as such in my tree which are not then captured by Thrulines. Some of that problem would be solved if Thrulines went back one earlier generation.

Old 03-02-2024, 06:11 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
This is also new – when you add an individual to your tree, you select New Person or From Your Tree.
That's always been an option.

Old 03-02-2024, 12:05 PM

2,197 posts, read 3,356,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
That's always been an option.
I didn’t have that option before.

When viewing your tree and the arrow/line points from an individual to the rectangular shape blank box with a +, when clicking on that the box it now has options for new person or person from your tree. I didn’t have that choice before (and ended up with quite a few duplicates).

Old 03-02-2024, 03:51 PM

Coming in the first half of this year:
Ancestry subscribers will soon be able to see how much their matches share with each other. Triangulated segments will be highlighted.
https://twitter.com/DebbieKennett/st...343294827?s=20

Old 03-02-2024, 05:22 PM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
I didn’t have that option before.

When viewing your tree and the arrow/line points from an individual to the rectangular shape blank box with a +, when clicking on that the box it now has options for new person or person from your tree. I didn’t have that choice before (and ended up with quite a few duplicates).
Maybe they've made it more obvious but that was always an option because I've used it many times in the past.

Old 03-03-2024, 06:29 PM

10 minute video discussing the new features and new subscription model coming to Ancestry this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4QmOgnTsAk

Old 03-14-2024, 07:15 PM

12 minute video with screenshots (and explanations) of the new DNA features coming by the end of June:

https://www.familysearch.org/en/root...le-miller-team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy