Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 12:38 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
That would or should have been taken with them.
Yep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 05:22 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
“the only one known to match Thomas Jefferson's clock that you can know see at Monticello,”

I would think that a professional writer would know the difference between now and know.
So funny. Spell check and the like frequently substitute a different word using most common word pairs. The author could have missed correcting this one.

And professional writer is not a criterion today.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:44 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I PCS'd a few times and always moved myself for 2 reasons:

1. if the military is going to pay someone to move MY stuff, it may as well be ME
2. no one is going to take care of my stuff as good as I will
When the Army sent us to Europe, the movers packed it, or it wasn't insured. We drove and mailed things to the moms and dads.

Thanks mom and dad!

Old 09-10-2019, 10:41 AM

468 posts, read 465,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
All that being said, damage to the tune of $45K, all your household goods...sounds absurd, no matter who is moving you.
I was in the military long ago and had about $45 worth of household goods. Inflation I guess. They told me if they wanted me to have a wife and family that they would've issued me one.

Seriously, military people do get moved frequently and it is hard to have decent furniture when shipping around a lot. I was in for 10 years and I know it is a difficult life. The only thing I ever had broken was a 12 gauge shotgun.
Somehow the movers busted the stock clean off it All I got back was a barrel. . Most of our furniture wasn't worth much though. Regardless, sorry to hear these folks had such a bad moving experience and I appreciate all their years of service. Hopefully, they will get this resolved.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:57 PM

325 posts, read 207,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

45K in damage seems extreme......I bet you could furnish a whole 4 bedroom house for less than 45K. So I understand heirlooms/valuables can add up but to have it all broken seems like a long shot.

Depends on the quality of the contents.....and I'm not even including heirlooms/valuable. It wouldn't remotely be enough to replace our contents.

We've moved four times. Those moves were always very long distance. Company always offered to paid for movers or when we declined they reimbursed our expenses. We chose to move ourselves (I had heard or read all the horror stories of moving) the first time (took several trips), second time decided to give name brand commercial mover a chance.....and they confirmed they couldn't do the job to our standards. We returned to moving ourselves. Luckily we are physically fit and have a large cargo trailer and heavy duty truck to pull it. Downside is multiple trips..but wouldn't have it any other way.

Feel sorry for those who have to put up with the frustration of others doing a poor job, damaging or losing their valuable possessions or even holding their belongings hostage.

Last edited by CentralUSHomeowner; 09-10-2019 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 01:43 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
Someone posted this on facebook and I thought I'd share. It's horrible and I was wondering if anyone else has had an experience like this:
I served 22+ years of continous active duty in the U.S. Army...

I also worked part-time for some moving companies. (My father-in law was also an inspector for a major moving company)

My terrible experience was when we packed out to move to Germany, two shipments were made. One was for all the personal items going to Europe and the other was for all the household goods which was to be put into storage during our overseas assignment.

After the packers were all done and gone, I noticed the Kentucky Fried Chicken lunch I had just purchased for us to eat (in an empty apartment) was gone!!!

3 and a half years later (we enjoyed our assignment in Europe so much we extended the tour 6 months). We came back to the United States and had our household goods brought out of storage and delivered to our new residence... As we unpacked the goodies we had packed away 3 and 1/2 years ago there was a round drum like container we did not recall, all wrapped up safely in brown wrapping paper. When we opened up the container, there was our no longer fresh 12 piece Kentucky Fried Chicken lunch, slightly molded and dried out from sitting in a warehouse 3 and a half years...

Yes, that was a true story...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 09-22-2019 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 05:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
At first I thought it couldn't possibly be true, but I checked Yelp reviews for the mover she mentioned, and many of them are equally as bad. https://www.yelp.com/biz/suddath-jacksonville-4 Also, I had a move that started out so poorly with really disgusting, abusive movers that I fired them on the spot and ordered them out of the house. Luckily my rent was paid through the rest of the month and it was not imperative that I be in the new location, so I had time to find a new company.

I then spent the next month trying to get my deposit back. I'm pretty sure the company was located in FL like this one is -- probably they have laws that protect them so they can continue their scammy moving jobs. So yeah, I'm familiar with horrendous movers.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:48 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
3 and a half years later (we enjoyed our assignment in Europe so much we extended the tour 6 months). We came back to the United States and had our household goods brought out of storage and delivered to our new residence... As we unpacked the goodies we had packed away 3 and 1/2 years ago there was a round drum like container we did not recall, all wrapped up safely in brown wrapping paper. When we opened up the container, there was our no longer fresh 12 piece Kentucky Fried Chicken lunch, slightly molded and dried out from sitting in a warehouse 3 and a half years...

Yes, that was a true story...
Well, at least they were thorough and careful! Better than the opposite! One of my contract movers carefully packed a bag of trash and a box of recycling. So kind of them.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:07 AM

390 posts, read 306,678 times
She did post pictures of her items and it looks like they were vandalised. Maybe it was revenge or vindictive action for being difficult to deal with.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, at least they were thorough and careful! Better than the opposite! One of my contract movers carefully packed a bag of trash and a box of recycling. So kind of them.
Yes, One persons trash is another persons treasure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues