Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,745,896 times

Advertisements

As long as safety is not an issue, I think a motivated child will do as well in a decent school as in a great school. Also, I would want my child to be somewhere in the middle, class and income-wise. If the reason the school is great is because the parents are all wealthy and we aren't, I would worry that my daughter would be focused on keeping up with the expensive clothes and accessories. If it were in a poorer area and we were going to have way more than the average income, I would be worried that she'd try to dumb and/or class herself down to fit in.

While as parents we focus on academics, kids often focus on other things. Being relatively happy during school will have a huge impact on whether a child is successful or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 04:35 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,992,791 times
We homeschool, so if we were planning to stay in an area for a long time, then location would be secondary to the house itself. For resale value, though, it's location, location, location. Also, if the area that you're considering is a bit iffy, it might get worse as years pass.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,092,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
We homeschool, so if we were planning to stay in an area for a long time, then location would be secondary to the house itself. For resale value, though, it's location, location, location. Also, if the area that you're considering is a bit iffy, it might get worse as years pass.
This is a great point, a good school district sells a home for a lot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues