Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 03:12 PM

131 posts, read 410,952 times

Advertisements

Here is a question especially for those of you with children (or planning on them soon), but those of you without kids feel free to answer as well!

Would you rather move to a smaller house in a great school district (and nice neighborhood) OR a larger, nicer house in a fair school district (decent neighborhood)?

I guess I'm generally asking... is it really all about location, location, location? And how important is it that your children are able to go to the best schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 03:23 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,838,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Kim~* View Post
Here is a question especially for those of you with children (or planning on them soon), but those of you without kids feel free to answer as well!

Would you rather move to a smaller house in a great school district (and nice neighborhood) OR a larger, nicer house in a fair school district (decent neighborhood)?

I guess I'm generally asking... is it really all about location, location, location? And how important is it that your children are able to go to the best schools?

If, for example, we could describe a great school district as Greatschools 10/10 or 9/10 and fair school district as 6/10 or 7/10, I'd take the smaller house and better school district. If great was 10/10 and fair was 9/10 it would be a tougher decision.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,036,441 times
we are empty nesters but still cared about the school district ratings when we built; as it may be of importance to the next person some day.

But where we lived before, we made sure our child was in a good district; even if that meant we paid a bit more to live in that community. As I went thru "bad" districts when I grew up, and wanted better for my child.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 AM

25 posts, read 35,730 times
I don't have children, but..
It all depends on what a "fair" district is. I went to high school in a somewhat "low rated" school, I'm now an architect for a great company. My parents raised me to believe school, studying and my future is important......so despite a less than sellar school, I was able to succeed and do the best *I* could do. Now, if the school is "dangerous", or there are gangs, or...... whatever.... I'd be more hesitant. But, I honestly don't think a school needs to be TOP notch for a child to do well.
So in that case, I'd take the bigger home with the "lower" school.
Good luck with your choice.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:45 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,560,639 times
Your children will do well in school if you are involved in their education. Also, if your children are young, so much can change by the time they are in high school. Just make sure the high school offers AP classes. I think it is important to be in a nice safe neighborhood. Go with what feels right.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,336,670 times
My daughter went to a great school, but my son went to school in fair school district for middle and high school. My son is the achiever and my daughter hated school.

So I think school districts are important, but not if it is going to risk family 'happiness'. Schools tend to be great based on grading, SOL and testing scores. So much more goes into a school - sports, safety etc. My daughters school district (she graduated a few years ago) is one of the top in the country. However, her high school now (and even then) has a big drug problem. The school is located in an upper class neighborhood where the parents are wealthy and the kids have plenty of money to buy drugs. This is not a gang infested school - just kids with money who have access to drugs.

So one does not necessarily need the best schools to get the best education and high school experience. Don't forget parent's involvement can make a student strive to succeed.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,577 times
Cool I BELIEVe...probly not the only one.

Making a decision between Housing and educational benefits,you must go with education,
Also for budgeting though I grew up sharing a room with my sister I may have had to deal with hee mess but in the end my education was worth it. And times get tough but not all is bad that's how you.respect the good ones, now adays we must think ahead.plus you wanr ro know you children are safe.and focused on themselfs Ans how they percieve themselves.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:13 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,088,922 times
It's all work ethic to me. As long as there isn't an issue of danger. If you look at the recent shows on education, the children that excel have extra tutoring after school, like learning centers, etc. So if you choose the later, just put them in a tutoring center after school a couple days a week. You have to be focused on education even at home, expressing it's importance and watching educational shows yourself. Encourage reading, writing for enjoyment. Schools aren't magical, it won't make much difference if your children aren't motivated to do their best.
Google some advise on Asian educational beliefs, etc. Countries that have well educated children. You will see that schools don't make or break the education your children will attain themselves.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:50 PM

28 posts, read 104,118 times
Well, I would go for a location with the best schools. I can always expand my house if finances are great. But other than the schools and the neighborhood, there are a lot of other considerations, too. Like medical services, commercial and recreation centers, etc. And I'd want a place with less air pollution. What good will it be if my kids went to great schools but other aspects of their life and well-being weren't given consideration?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,789,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
Your children will do well in school if you are involved in their education. Also, if your children are young, so much can change by the time they are in high school. Just make sure the high school offers AP classes. I think it is important to be in a nice safe neighborhood. Go with what feels right.

Agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues