Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 05:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,435,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
An upsurge in consumerism doesn't necessarily mean a better life overall. IMO, life was healthier in the 70's.

In the 80's movie Robocop, there's a scene where a partying person says "I'll buy that for a dollar!". That quote comes from the 1950's book "The Marching Morons", which predicts future rampant consumerism. I think it also predicts shallow values as well (not certain).
I think the upsurge in consumerism has made some people more unhealthy in the sense they feel they must keep up with the latest gadgets and go into debt to buy them. That causes more stress and neuroses and even physical illness.

But a lot of people complained the COL was too high in the 70's just as they do today. The COL is always relative to the times and circumstances of economics of the times and it's going to vary from individual to individual.

I remember "planned obsolescence" in the 50's that pushed consumerism along with "subliminal suggestion" all of which encouraged people to buy, buy, buy. It's just an ever-increasing phenomenon that doesn't show any sign of slowing down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:01 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
you were fortunate to have those. I didn't know anyone with credit cards unless they were wealthy kids or professionals. Of course my parents had them but used them very sparingly.

And jetsfan, visa was originally BankAmericard as mastercard was mastercharge.
I guess I was a wealthy kid at the time, I just didn't know it. Anyway, I'd go back to the 60s and 70s any day, but not because things were so much "cheaper." It was just a different world back then in so many ways.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:28 PM

42 posts, read 87,228 times
I agree with the consumerism difference in the70's. Even if a family wasn't rich, you didn't feel like you were missing much. The middle class seemed like the largest group in the US, and it seemed as though everybody had a lot.
People just seemed a lot happier in those days and the quality of life was so much better for most. The US was much more free, and there weren't regulatrions on everything. If a child fell down and scapped his knees, you put a bandaid on it. Today, you need a coat of armour to go bike riding. Life was sooo much nicer for everybody. Money was easier to make back then because things weren't regulated into strangulation back then. I was a kid then, and I would not want to be a kid in the US today.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:49 AM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I guess I was a wealthy kid at the time, I just didn't know it. Anyway, I'd go back to the 60s and 70s any day, but not because things were so much "cheaper." It was just a different world back then in so many ways.
I feel like America was more of a "team" back then. It was a much more cohesive country. There was very little outsourcing, and there was loyalty between companies and their employees. Back in my father's day, you joined a company and stayed there for life. And the company rewarded you with raises, and amazing benefits, etc. People didn't bounce around from job to job, always going to the highest bidder, and companies didn't outsource. I blame globalization every bit as much as consumerism.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:46 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess987 View Post
People just seemed a lot happier in those days and the quality of life was so much better for most. The US was much more free, and there weren't regulatrions on everything. If a child fell down and scapped his knees, you put a bandaid on it. Today, you need a coat of armour to go bike riding. Life was sooo much nicer for everybody.

Bravo

Old 12-29-2013, 11:49 AM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I feel like America was more of a "team" back then. It was a much more cohesive country. There was very little outsourcing, and there was loyalty between companies and their employees.

Yes, we were more together.

I was very young back then. Do adult friends do each other wrong more these days?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:57 PM

18,460 posts, read 15,239,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Yes, we were more together.

I was very young back then. Do adult friends do each other wrong more these days?
Seems that way, but I was pretty young too. (born in 69)

I wasn't really talking about friendships though. More about business relationships.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess987 View Post
I agree with the consumerism difference in the70's. Even if a family wasn't rich, you didn't feel like you were missing much. The middle class seemed like the largest group in the US, and it seemed as though everybody had a lot.
People just seemed a lot happier in those days and the quality of life was so much better for most. The US was much more free, and there weren't regulatrions on everything. If a child fell down and scapped his knees, you put a bandaid on it. Today, you need a coat of armour to go bike riding. Life was sooo much nicer for everybody. Money was easier to make back then because things weren't regulated into strangulation back then. I was a kid then, and I would not want to be a kid in the US today.
My experiences were different. I grew up in Louisiana and then New Mexico. Many of us were poor and came from large families. My parents struggled to make a living and I later struggled financially to get through college and find good jobs. There were lots of other baby boomers to compete against. I also remember making only a $1 and later $1.25 at my high school job and saving the money to buy a car and for college. Perhaps employers were allowed to pay less than minimum wage to students. Thank goodness for the National Defense Student Loan program as my loans and part time jobs got me through college. Things may have been less expensive than today but in my family (and my friend's families), you were expected to leave home after high school and pay your own way as you were now an adult.

But I agree with you about the freedom and the consumerism. The 70's were much less materialistic. And kids were not so overprotected and constantly monitored and coddled. On the other hand, it seemed that more young people died or were hurt in car crashes and other accidents. In grade school especially, we were less tolerant of those who were "different": minorities, the handicapped, gays, those with learning disorders, nerds, etc. And girls were often treated unfairly compared to boys. I'm glad I grew up then, and not now, but there were some cons.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 01-03-2014 at 11:13 PM..

Old 01-04-2014, 09:47 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,808,396 times
The thread has made some good points. I can add some others

Communications are much faster now. "long distance" as a concept doesn't mean anything anymore. Unlimited phone time is what..$50 a month?

Trends have changed for certain products. I think wearing fur took a stumble in the early 1990's. Yes it obviously still exists but being in my mid 30's I don't know anyone that actually wears a fur coat, leather on the other hand....

Gas obviously was cheaper but mileage was much worse. Cars are more expensive but last longer for the most part.

I'd agree on the accidents. Reminds me when that issue of Bush getting a dui in 1976 came up there was a comedian that had a bit about how that was looked upon. Parapharasing here but that you had to crash into a wall with flames coming out of you and then the cops would tell you go to home! Drinking and driving thankfully is not tolerated and smoking has largely been curbed. I'm the last person I know that has a car with a cigarette lighter (came with it, had no choice).

Interest rates were high which meant that more people had to pay cash and prices were generally lower. Of course with technology it was technically higher.

I think there's also been a trend to want everything NOW. How long did dinner take then vs now? How many gadgets did we use (outside of Ronco!).

Old 01-04-2014, 09:54 AM

28,664 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
How many gadgets did we use (outside of Ronco!).
Ronco! The savior of every boy or man when it was time to get a gift for Mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.