Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 09:33 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisySonata View Post
I'm pretty reserved so I'm not sure if what you described is really what I'm looking for, but I definitely agree that DFW is a good option for me to explore.

I appreciate the help!
Quote:
I agree to some extent, but if an area is dominated by people with one perspective, it's harder to find people with an opposing one, especially since people tend to hide their opinions if they're in the minority. It's a bit how I feel where I am now, both for friendships and finding a partner. I'd like to be somewhere that's more balanced, at a minimum, but am hoping for somewhere where I just feel more at home and not like I have to hide as much.
Well, should you decide to move to a metro area/region like Atlanta in a state like Georgia, even with a demographic makeup that is very noticeably clearly and rapidly trending in favor of increased Democratic Party competitiveness over the long run, Georgia (including metro Atlanta) is still a place where there is an abundance of single young conservative men.

Local Young Republicans groups appear to be a place where a single young conservative woman like yourself possibly may be able to meet and socially connect and network with many suitable single young conservative bachelors.

Here are some links to web and Facebook pages for the Atlanta Young Republicans which purports to be the largest GOP-affiliated organization in the state of Georgia:

Atlanta Young Republicans

Atlanta Young Republicans | Facebook

And here’s a link to the Georgia Young Republicans Facebook page and the Georgia Young Republicans Chapters page which has links to all of the different Young Republicans group chapters in the state of Georgia:

Georgia Young Republicans | Facebook

GEORGIA YOUNG REPUBLICANS - CHAPTERS

In addition to the Atlanta chapter of the Georgia Young Republicans (the aforementioned Atlanta Young Republicans group), there are six other Georgia Young Republicans chapters in the greater Atlanta metropolitan region, including in:

> Atlanta’s upscale Buckhead uptown district (Buckhead Young Republicans)

> The dominant Northwest Atlanta suburb of Cobb County (Cobb Young Republicans)

> The explosively fast-growing North Atlanta outer suburb of Forsyth County (Forsyth Young Republicans)

> The South Atlanta outer suburbs of Coweta and Fayette counties (Coweta-Fayette Young Republicans)

> The Northeast Atlanta exurb/Northeast Georgia Foothills logistical hub and conservative/Republican hotbed of Hall County (Hall County Young Republicans)

> The East/Northeast Atlanta exurb of Walton County (Walton County Young Republicans).

Outside of the greater Atlanta metropolitan region, there are Georgia Young Republicans group chapters in:

> Northwest Georgia (Northwest Georgia Young Republicans)

> The Augusta suburb of Columbia County (Columbia County Young Republicans)

> The historic Coastal Georgia city/metro and charming South Atlantic tourist mecca of Savannah (Savannah Area Young Republicans)

> Warner Robins in the historic rural political hotbed of Houston County in Central Georgia (Wartown Young Republicans).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 09:34 PM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Miami is reasonably conservative as well
Per OP’s 1st post she didn’t enjoy the partying scene.

As much as I like Miami, there are a lot of partying there.

Besides Cuban conservative in Miami is quite different from Texas conservative.

Old 03-28-2024, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 6,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
When you say conservative are you talking about politics or personality/lifestyle in general? What is the largest city you've lived in? Any city over a million should have enough of any persuasion where you don't have to hide. If you think that's not the case can you elaborate with an example? Cities that large usually won't have too strong of a rowdy frat scene, with the possible exception of Austin.

I'll give you an example of my own. I used to live in Houston, a blue leaning city, but I worked for energy companies mostly, except for a year in county government. In these environments I often find myself to be the one who has to keep my opinion or eyeroll to myself. One of the mid sized upstream energy company used to start prayers at company events, while some of my colleagues at the County like to share what he just read on Q Anon. No matter where you go you have to deal with people whose view you don't like.

You're probably right to ask about gender ratios though. I heard enough complaints from women in NYC and men in the Bay Area to know it can be a factor. You should ask yourself though if it makes sense to move just for that reason or if you should also care about things that interest you.
I'm sorry for the confusion, I should have clarified this before.

When I say conservative, I mean politics a little bit (I'd consider myself moderate leaning conservative, but since most cities are more liberal anyway, a conservative city would have a good mixture I'd think). However, like the other poster was saying, I mean it in a social way too, and more than I mean it politically–

Quote:
I like proper, white collar environment. I don’t drink/smoke/do drug/lead a rambunctious lifestyle and I don’t like to be loud in public. I’m careful with boundaries, I would be mortified if I ever come across as rude or “trashy”, and I’m never a partying type. Manner and social etiquette are very important. I would venture to guess you meant “values” in these sorts, and you like to be around people who share the similar attitude as you.
That pretty much sums it up for me. I'm pretty reserved, so I care about having ways to connect with people other than bars and parties

I've mainly lived in smaller cities, think around the size of Eugene, OR and Madison, WI. Not more than 300,000 people. So maybe a larger city would just solve my issue altogether? I do kind of feel like the places I've lived have been "bubbles"

I don't mind having to hear other people's opinions if they aren't the same as mine. Usually I just politely nod along. I've made friends and ignored our difference in political belief, but have struggled to also find people my age (mid 20s) nearby with views similar to my own. Then I go out with my friends and they shout at people holding political signs opposed to their own which I find awkward and embarrassing especially when I disagree with what they're shouting about (but even when I do agree it's awkward)

As for gender ratios, I wouldn't move somewhere because of it alone, but it is a factor I'd like to consider

Old 03-29-2024, 08:09 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post
Buckhead is urban, but go to Piedmont Driving Club on the weekends, you still see bowties, cigars, pastel or plaid (the Scottish type, not the Portlandia Lumber Chic type.) button down shirt with carefully pressed-linen pants, and navy blazer with gold buttons on men, women in their “WASPY” headband, floating shirt dresses that cost about $500-$1000 a piece, very manicured and demure.-all after their church gathering. Very proper and prim. They even summer in Nantucket just like the WASPs back East. “Family value” is very big among this crowd. Good people (if not a bit clique-y), religious, charitable, impeccable manner, but definitely lean both socially and fiscally conservative.

First hand experience. (Friends whose family is prominent in Buckhead.)
Sounds like the type of women I would have wanted to date back when I was young and single, but were out of my league as I'd have to be like one of the men you mentioned here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Jacksonville is no longer a conservative city and is roughly 50-50 given explosive population growth largely from more progressive out of state transplants.
Not so much Jacksonville/Duvall County but nearby in St. Johns or Nassau counties.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:37 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
I didn't read every post, as this one has grown quickly. I'd second Oklahoma City. We lived there for several years, in suburb Midwest City. It was the first place we bought a house as a young family. I hated my job... with a passion... but OKC and its people were pretty nice. We made good friends through my wife's work, and along our neighborhood block. There is a party atmosphere in Brick Town, but that is a small district in the big sprawling city. Plenty of country and western bars and dancehalls, but also many, many churches, and OKC boasts they are "The Buckle of the Bible Belt." Other southern towns also boast that too, but anyway, people are generally very friendly, and many make church-life a significant part of their lives.

I'm an outdoorsy type of guy, but the environment of OKC doesn't lend itself to too many outdoor activities like Denver, SLC or Boise as examples. It's flat, and hot and sweaty much of the year. I golfed, played tennis and softball, hunted in the fall, and fished in the summer. Lots of people boat and fish on the local reservoirs, lakes and ponds. We also hosted or attended a lot of backyard BBQs and fish fries that were more social and family friendly, than an excuse to get drunk, loud and the guys get rowdy to show off for the girls, etc. Yes, there was usually beer and wine available, but the goal of the event was never to see who could drink the most. Most houses on the block came out on the 4th of July and shot off fireworks together, as an ad hoc type of friendly get-together.

So, we weren't single, but we knew single people. You may need to learn to two-step, but Oklahoma is OK (it used to say that on the license plates).

Old 03-29-2024, 10:05 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Assume OP is open on metro size; but if you have a preference, might help to share it, even if it isnt absolute.

There are places under 100k, under 250k, under 500-700k that probably won't get named unless you say you are interested in those sizes or prefer one of them.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:45 PM

8,489 posts, read 8,771,754 times
Omaha might work for some.

Roanoke VA?

Lexington KY has different niches and a conservative woman could make something work.

Tyler Texas?

You didn't mention religion. Different places have some difference in top denominations and relative importance socially.

Wages are vary some by state, in some fields more than others.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-30-2024 at 10:59 PM..

Old 04-01-2024, 09:54 AM

7 posts, read 6,695 times
Thanks everyone, I will look into these! I'm getting lots of ideas.

I don't have a size preference, but I'm definitely open to smaller places of closer to 100k

As far as religion goes, I am Christian but not overly so. The zealous and overly passionate type makes me feel a bit uncomfortable

Since my job is remote, I can work from anywhere in the US.

Old 04-01-2024, 03:20 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,165,384 times
Quote:

I don't have a size preference, but I'm definitely open to smaller places of closer to 100k

As far as religion goes, I am Christian but not overly so. The zealous and overly passionate type makes me feel a bit uncomfortable

100k are not even considered cities on CD.
Honestly I'm not sure why you're having trouble. Outside of exceptions like college towns or touristy mountain towns, 100k places lean conservative. Since you don't seem to care about city amenities there should be plenty of options for you in any state, especially a purple one like Wisconsin. I heard Green Bay is pretty conservative.

As a comedian says, the South is never more than 45 minutes away. Or an hour and forty five minutes since traffic has gotten worse.
I'll give you a pointer. Areas with good public schools tend to be very tame when it comes to nightlife, and the single men who live there tend to be responsible, professional types.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:48 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I'll give you a pointer. Areas with good public schools tend to be very tame when it comes to nightlife, and the single men who live there tend to be responsible, professional types.
mkwensky’s comment raises the point that the North Atlanta suburbs and exurbs (basically everything in the Atlanta metropolitan area/region that is located north of the Top End of the I-285 Perimeter highway that encircles the urban core of the Atlanta metropolitan area/region) fits the description of being an area with good public schools and a relatively very tame nightlife scene and lots of responsible, professional young conservative men who work in the many well-paying white-collar jobs that the North Atlanta region and the greater Atlanta region as a whole is teeming with.

A seemingly somewhat similar subject came up not too long ago on a thread on a competing website about a 20-something young man who had recently graduated from college and was looking for a good church for 20-something young adults where he could meet people and grow relationships outside of work after moving to the major Northwest Atlanta OTP suburb of Marietta (Cobb County), Georgia.

(The term “OTP” refers to the part of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area/region that is located outside of the I-285 Perimeter highway that encircles the urban core of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area/region.)

The 20-something young man was referred to the First United Methodist Church of Marietta’s Young Adult Singles program, which is a very active and engaged social group that is focused on young adult singles in their 20s and 30s that meets every Sunday morning from roughly between 10-11am and engages in frequent events and outings like Bible studies, brewery outings, community service opportunities, movie nights, Atlanta Braves Major League Baseball games at Truist Park stadium, and much more.

Young Adult Singles - Marietta FUMC

The 20-something young man was also referred to the Young Adults Ministry at Marietta’s historic Roswell Street Baptist Church and the College & Young Adults Ministry at Marietta’s Piedmont Church.

Major North Atlanta OTP suburbs like Marietta (Cobb County) and Alpharetta (North Fulton County) and even Lawrenceville (Gwinnett County) appear to be good relocation options for the OP to consider because of the abundance of responsible young conservative professional men who are attracted to the very robust job market and well-paying career opportunities in the greater Atlanta region and North Georgia.

The North Atlanta OTP suburbs also appear to be good relocation options for the OP because of the apparent abundance of resources that potentially can help the OP find the type of conservative single young man that she is looking for.

Though the OP will have to know how and where to look for the conservative professional single young men she prefers, which will be by being socially active at events and settings where lots of conservative professional single young men will be present which will include local Young Republican groups, Christian ministries and church groups for young adult singles and even social groups on a social networking site like Meetup.

Meetup | Find Local Groups, Events, and Activities Near You

Even though historically Republican-dominated North Atlanta OTP suburban areas like Cobb County, North Fulton County and Gwinnett County appear to be very rapidly trending towards significantly increased Democratic Party competitiveness, the North Atlanta OTP suburbs and exurbs, the greater Atlanta metropolitan area/region and North Georgia as a whole still is an area that is home to many, many Republicans and conservatives and a large Republican and conservative scene that generally remains highly active.

And the greater Atlanta metropolitan area/region as a whole is a massive hub for 20-somethings (including conservative professional young single men) who just graduated from colleges all over the Southern and Eastern parts of the U.S., including (but not limited to) the schools of the SEC (Southeastern Conference), the ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference), the B1G (Big Ten Conference) and probably virtually every HBCU (Historically Black College and University) in the country.

If closer-in North Atlanta OTP suburbs like Marietta (Cobb County), Alpharetta (North Fulton County) and Lawrenceville (Gwinnett County) may seem like they are areas that are too developed for you, the relatively less developed Northeast Atlanta OTP exurb of Gainesville (Hall County) with its own semi-metropolitan population of about 220,000 residents seems like it could be a good option to consider as a regionally and nationally influential hub and hotbed of exurban Republicanism and political conservatism in the greater Northeast Georgia foothills/mountains region.

The North Atlanta OTP suburbs and exurbs would put the OP in what traditionally has been a very Republican-heavy area that is located outside of the urban core of the greater Atlanta metropolitan area/region while still giving the OP access to the metropolitan amenities and social resources of a large major metropolitan area/region like Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.