Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 06:31 PM

13,139 posts, read 9,701,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisySonata View Post
I was reading through the forum and came across this post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/gene...ervatives.html

And I want to know what the differences might be for a good city for a single conservative man vs a single conservative woman.

Right now, I'm living in a city that's similar to Madison, WI or Eugene, OR. I'm more reserved and there's a big party scene here, and most of the single straight guys I encounter are frat boy party types or super outdoorsy people who want to do what I'd consider excessive outdoor activities. Very few of them share my values. I have the same issue with finding good girlfriends here honestly, though I have found a few. I'll have the means to move soon.

After reading through the thread I linked and doing my own research, I'm considering looking into cities in Utah, Tennessee, Texas, and Oklahoma.

I would imagine that some of the suggestions for the single men are based on male/female ratio. A city that has slightly more men than women might rule out some of the VA suggestions.

I'm happy to elaborate on what I'm looking for exactly if needed, but moreso I'm just curious– would you suggest the same cities to a young, single conservative man as to a young, single, conservative woman?
Huntsville, Alabama. It's a highly technical and educated city with lots of engineers, and male engineers of any age tend to be more conservative than liberal. Not sure what size place you're looking for but the metro is about 530K (add the neighboring Decatur metro, just 20 miles away; the city limits touch) and the number is near 700K) and the CSA around 900K. It's technically located on the northern edge of the deep South, but it's not culturally deep South at all. It's rapidly growing and most of the residents are from "somewhere else".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 11:09 PM

8,521 posts, read 8,912,394 times
Cookeville TN is a city of 35k population and about 150k in the micropolitan area. With a university in town, I dunno if the social atmosphere is exactly what you want but it could work. It depends what you do, when and not. Wages are apparently fairly low relative to bigger cities.

Frankfort KY has a micropolitan population of about 77,000.

Harrisonburg VA metro has about 145k.

Jefferson City MIssouri has about 150k in area.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-02-2024 at 11:49 PM..

Old 04-03-2024, 02:12 AM

583 posts, read 580,330 times
For a combination of robust economy and conservative population, standing out to me:
- Boise
- Omaha
- Indianapolis
- Greenville, SC
- Fayetteville, AR
- Huntsville, AL
- Scottsdale, AZ
- Colorado Springs
- Kansas City
- Charlotte
- Cincinnati

Old 04-03-2024, 07:03 AM

35,229 posts, read 31,569,052 times
I'm from TN. I'm not that familiar with West Tennessee.

Outside of metro Nashville and parts of Knoxville, there really isn't much of a "white collar" scene in the state. Much of the rest of the state doesn't hit the critical mass of white collar positions for there to be an upscale social scene.

Keep in mind that much of the socializing here is done through church and kids' activities. If you aren't religious, it's going to be hard to meet people.

At least around here, much of the population are local natives who have lived here for years. Social circles are full with people they've known for years. I'm originally from the area, but lived "away" from 25-30. I came back at 30 - 37 now - and haven't met many friends since I've been back.

Also, if you're a conservative form a blue area, "small town Tennessee" is extremely conservative and very low end in terms of amenities.

Most of my high school and college friends went to engineering and business school. About all of those left the area for bigger cities for jobs. There are some white collar workers in fields like healthcare and education, stuff you can find anywhere, but that's about it.

Old 04-05-2024, 11:29 AM

1,267 posts, read 845,471 times
Most suburban areas of Midwest cities could work. In particular:
West Omaha
Johnson County, KS
Wichita
St. Charles County, MO
Hamilton County, IN
Waukesha County, WI
Grand Rapids, MI

If cold weather is ok, Sioux Falls and Fargo are smaller cities to consider as well.

Edit: if you don't mind driving, take a week off for a road trip. Either south loop (DFW-OKC-Wichita-KC-STL-NW Arkansas-Tulsa-DFW) or north loop (ORD-Milwaukee-Des Moines-Omaha-KC-STL-Indy-Grand Rapids-ORD).

Last edited by riffle; 04-05-2024 at 11:38 AM..

Old 04-05-2024, 12:10 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,385,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Have you been to Austin? Even DC feels hillier, at least in the parts that visitors go.
Austin's political leaning has been discussed elsewhere and it is by no means settled that something like that can be fully determined by voting patterns.
I lived in DC and now in Texas, visiting Austin several times a year. Eastside of Austin has little elevation but the westside i/m/o is pretty damn hilly with some great vistas of downtown.

Old 04-05-2024, 12:14 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,385,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Jacksonville is no longer a conservative city and is roughly 50-50 given explosive population growth largely from more progressive out of state transplants.
J-Ville continues to grow but growth stopped being "explosive" awhile ago. In fact, since 2018, the rate of growth has slowed. https://www.macrotrends.net/global-m...lle/population

Old 04-05-2024, 03:07 PM

6,647 posts, read 12,152,536 times
What about Nashville? Isn't it kind of conservative-ish?

Old 04-05-2024, 05:48 PM

8,521 posts, read 8,912,394 times
"In the last Presidential election, Davidson county remained overwhelmingly Democratic, 64.5% to 32.4%. Davidson county voted Democratic in every Presidential election since 2000."

Probably some precincts / neighborhoods are politically conservative.

Reportedly 60% self-identify as religiously affiliated.

Socially? Probably depends who you ask or where you look.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-05-2024 at 06:00 PM..

Old 04-05-2024, 06:17 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
What about Nashville? Isn't it kind of conservative-ish?
Due in significant part to the numerous Millennials that have moved there from the Northeast and California over the past decade or so, Intown Nashville is fairly very progressive by the standards of a generally extremely deeply conservative region of the country like the Southeast.

But outside of Intown neighborhoods, the Nashville metropolitan region is decidedly conservative with Tennessee as a whole generally being one of the more conservative states in the union.

And with the conservative/Republican-dominated Tennessee State Capitol being located in the city along with many Tennessee state government offices, agencies, facilities and lobbying organizations; and with the city being the Country Music Capital of the world, there’s no shortage of young conservative single men in their late 20’s and early 30’s in the Nashville city/metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.